PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

5 tire rotation on an H3

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Default 5 tire rotation on an H3

Anyone figured out a way to do this without making the TPMS going bonkers?

JR

Old 06-12-2008, 07:03 PM
Default RE: 5 tire rotation on an H3

part way into the 08 MY, they stopped putting the tire monitors in the spare. You probably have a tire on the ground that doesn't have a sensor.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:44 PM

Yes, you are correct, one of the tires on the ground is the spare, sans the sensor. I asked the dealer about putting a sensor on the 5th wheel, however I was told that the computer can only recognize 4 sensors. That being the case, each time the the tires were rotated, the computer would need to be reprogrammed to recognize the 4 road tire sensors. They said that can be done, no problem, but it would be anout 1/2 hr. labor charge. If I'm going to be racking up service charges with each rotation, there's no cost savings long term. I do a lot of business with the local Goodyear, so I might ask them to just remount the "spare" to a TPMS equipped wheel each time.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:38 PM

Just buy another sensor and have it mounted in the spare. The shop doing the rotation should be able to do reset the sensors, and probably won't even charge you. Or just reprogram them yourself. The instructions are in the owner's manual and it only takes about 10 minutes.....and its free.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Sewie

Just buy another sensor and have it mounted in the spare. The shop doing the rotation should be able to do reset the sensors, and probably won't even charge you. Or just reprogram them yourself. The instructions are in the owner's manual and it only takes about 10 minutes.....and its free.
I tried to say that but the friggin' site crashed on me [:@][:@][:@]. If the dealer's charging you to reset the tpms, they aren't a very friendly dealer.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:26 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies, but I may not have made my question clear in the initial post. Has anyone actually put in the fifth sensor and it worked? In talking to the service department technicians, they explained that it would not because the computer will only recognize a maximum of four sensors. That being the case, when the fifth wheel was put into a rolling position, the trucks computer would actually need to be recalibrated to recognize the "new" sensor. This is different than resetting theTPMS as described in the manual. I know no one is perfect, but the local service department is pretty sharp, and they've never blown smoke at me before.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:56 AM

ORIGINAL: 08H3

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies, but I may not have made my question clear in the initial post. Has anyone actually put in the fifth sensor and it worked? In talking to the service department technicians, they explained that it would not because the computer will only recognize a maximum of four sensors. That being the case, when the fifth wheel was put into a rolling position, the trucks computer would actually need to be recalibrated to recognize the "new" sensor. This is different than resetting theTPMS as described in the manual. I know no one is perfect, but the local service department is pretty sharp, and they've never blown smoke at me before.

Per the 07 manual.
Any time you replace one or more of
the TPMS sensors, install the spare tire onto your
vehicle, or rotate your vehicle’s tires, the
identification codes will need to be matched to the
new tire/wheel position.
Same procedure for everything.

They may not be blowing smoke, but they don't know what they are talking about

Old 06-13-2008, 01:09 PM

They may not be blowing smoke, but they don't know what they are talking about
You're probably right. I still don't see any reason in my mind it won't work, so I'm going to go ahead and order the sensor and hope for the best. Does anyone have the GM part # for the sensor? And, finally, I assume all I need is the sensor, and nothing else, correct?

Thanks again to all.

JR

Old 06-13-2008, 06:03 PM

ORIGINAL: 08H3

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies, but I may not have made my question clear in the initial post. Has anyone actually put in the fifth sensor and it worked?
2006 and early 2007 models came with a sensor in the spare. Why would it be any different. The sensors are just dumb transmitters.

In talking to the service department technicians, they explained that it would not because the computer will only recognize a maximum of four sensors. That being the case, when the fifth wheel was put into a rolling position, the trucks computer would actually need to be recalibrated to recognize the "new" sensor. This is different than resetting theTPMS as described in the manual.
Yes, the computer only recognizes four sensors, as it is not intended to monitor the spare. The re-learn procedure tells the TPMS which sensors to monitor. The only difference between doing the process as the manual says or the dealership (or shop)doing it, is they have a tool that activates the sensor rather than airing the tire up/down to activate it.

I know no one is perfect, but the local service department is pretty sharp, and they've never blown smoke at me before.
You're assuming you'd know if they were.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:04 PM

BTW, I don't know the p/n, but you can get them on gmpartsdirect.com. Just go to the catalog and look under wheels. You'll want the sensor, stem, and probably the grommet.

Quick Reply: 5 tire rotation on an H3