PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

5-speed & larger tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Default 5-speed & larger tires

Been around here for a while & understand that you can put a 35" tire on with a simple leveling. However, my question is since the '07 5-speed is such a dog with the 265 tire combination compared to the automatic, will I have drivability issues with the larger tires in respect to power?? After all.... I already am being passed by mopeds on interstate enterance ramps!!

Old 08-11-2009, 09:30 AM

I can't imagine that the 35" tires are going to improve your performance & I'd be willing to bet they will take a bit more power to get turning (rotational inertia and all that).

Old 08-11-2009, 10:21 AM

I just upgraded from factory 265's to DuraTec 285's on my '06 auto. Subjectively, it's a little slower overall with the most noticable performance hit at highway speeds. I didn't bother taking any before and after acceleration times so nothing objective to offer.

Even so, I'm sticking with 285's from now on!

Old 08-11-2009, 10:37 AM

Well, that was my question!! I am certain I will be loosing power. I was just wondering if the loss of power would be such as to render 5th gear useless, or make me more of an obstacle getting on the highway. Not to mention hindering off road capabilities.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Wrongway1
Well, that was my question!! I am certain I will be loosing power. I was just wondering if the loss of power would be such as to render 5th gear useless, or make me more of an obstacle getting on the highway. Not to mention hindering off road capabilities.
You'll gain overall off-road capability at the expense of on-road acceleration.

I've found that the biggest hit with my auto is recovering highway speed after a slowdown. In other words, I now need to use more throttle going back up to 70 after a slowdown than I've been used to over the past 3-years.

Just a guess on my part but you will not loose 5th gear on the highway if you upgrade to 285's. You will just have to reach for 4th a little more often and use more throttle.

I'm very happy with this new compromise but then again I don't understand the need for fast trucks. I like my trucks capable and my cars fast instead. At any rate, my '06 is still about as fast as most any pre-late 90's, midsize, 4WD truck that I have driven.

I hope my 285 experience helps, someone that knows what's up with 305's should chime in soon.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:40 PM

Oh, believe me.... I get enough tickets without the power I just hate that zero - crusing speed thing when I'm getting on the highway. Okie's dont slow down for anything!!

Old 08-11-2009, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Wrongway1
Oh, believe me.... I get enough tickets without the power I just hate that zero - crusing speed thing when I'm getting on the highway. Okie's dont slow down for anything!!
If you can live with a little more sluggishness and want improved mud and snow ability, I'd go with these. They seem perfect for my NorthEastern conditions, at least: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...ngler+DuraTrac

I haven't taken them major off-road yet or even through snow but they really look awesome.

Aside from the slight hit on acceleration, there's also a bit more "driving on snow tires" sensation. The rear axle is looser on the DuraTracs compared to the factory Wranglers.

If you typically drive only through dry conditions, there are likely better choices that could also perform better on the street.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:00 PM

Thanks for all of the info!! Going to go with the DuraTracs too.