PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

5 point wheel lug socket

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Default 5 point wheel lug socket

Need help here. I've always had new tires installed at the Hummer dealer, never gave it much thought since it is a big hassle with 2 piece wheels.

I'm installing the new stainless CTIS lines from GT. The stupid flange that the line cover hooks into is too close to the valve thread area to turn the 45 degree in. In order to remove this stupid flange, I have to remove 2 of the wheel lugs that hold the wheel together.

These are 5 point/side lugs and the only socket I'm aware of the fits is for sale at your Hummer dealer for the low low price of $150.

$150. For ONE SOCKET!

Does anyone know where to get a socket that will work for a reasonable price?

Old 02-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Default tool dealer

doc, I am a mechanic (not for hummer) but when i come across a proprietary bolt from any of the manufacturers I usually have good luck with the tool dealers that come to the shop, such as snap-on, mac, or matco. Sometimes they will have it in their catalog and sometimes on their websites. i have also had luck with just asking the dealer if he knows of the particular fastner I normally find that they are familiar with it and if they don't have it they know who does and can get it for you.

yea they can be pricey but usually you can get it for less than going through the dealer.

good luck!

Old 02-10-2009, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

$148.06 seems to be the going rate. You in any of the Hummer clubs? Some of the other members may have one you can borrow.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

www.bluehummer.com has a loaner program for the penta sockets. Don't know exactly what it is but have to be better than $150.00. Call Dave and see what the rental is on it before you buy.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:20 PM

Thanks for all the ideas. As far as other manufacturers for these, I struck out. Even the Lynch guys knew of nobody else who makes this socket. They have generally been very straightforward and honest as Hummer enthusiasts even if they won't make the bucks. In any case, I spent alot of time online and found no alternatives.

On the bright side, I did call Dave at bluehummer.com. I hadn't thought of them although they do sell about everything for H1's, AM General or aftermarket. They will loan you the socket....if you buy the 48 HEX nuts to replace all the stupid penta nuts. At $1.13 each, you're looking at a little over 50 bucks for 48 new flanged locknuts that fit and you get the socket sent to you (of course you have to pay and ship it back).

I thought about for about 10 seconds and realizing that if I ever wanted to remove those nuts again, switching to hex nuts and being able to use any set of hand tools would be nice. Even if I bought the dang $150 socket, I'd have to keep it in the H1 in case I ever needed to use it, and God forbid I ever lose it. I'm coming closer to understanding why some people just ditch the stock wheels and CTIS and other eccentric crap and go back to 4 standard rims and a spare. I won't do that because there's a downside to that, too.

I'll keep you posted. In any case, the stainless CTIS wheel lines look sweet and the quick release works much better than stock. Hopefully that holds true when installed.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

I didn't know what the deal was with Dave's lease program. Sorry that part didn't work. Sounds like something you might want to have anyway. Like you said, keep us posted.