PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

4Hi and 4Hi-Lock switching question

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 10:34 PM
Default 4Hi and 4Hi-Lock switching question

I finally got my 2006 H3 and I think there are some issues with the 4WD switching.. It has 109000km or about 67000miles

Anyways, I am able to switch between 4Hi-lock and 4Low. I can hear the transfercase doing something, but when i press the 4Hi, it does nothing. Is the light supposed to flash a few sec and switch over while in Neutral/driving 1-2mph?

I have 5 buttons there... The usual 4Hi, 4Hi-Lock, 4Low, stability control and what seems to be rear differential lock. No button seems to do anything except the 4Hi-Lock and 4low.

Any hint? Tomorrow morning I will take these buttons apart and clean them since the 4Hi-lock is a bit sticky. I hope it doesn't have alot of troubles...

Old 11-25-2014, 06:47 AM

Sounds like some bulbs are out. They can be changed depending on your mechanical and electrical knowledge.

Or buy one for $100
2006 2010 06 10 Hummer H3 H3T Transfer Case Select 4x4 Control Switch 15800081 | eBay

Old 11-25-2014, 07:13 AM

i don't think the bulbs are out. the 4hi-lock and 4low lights up.

going to take them apart no and see.. Will report back.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:29 AM

Your Differential Lock will not light up when pressed unless you are in 4 Low. To check if 4 High is working, very very slowly make a sharp turn. If you feel the steering wheel fighting back you are still in High Lock. Otherwise it is likely a bulb out like Tainter says.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:38 AM

So I took the thing apart and ran it apart..I was able to swtich from 4Hi-Lock to 4Hi.

The keys don't seem to push far down enough to activate the buttons. Since the light bulbs are not LED, the heat seems to have melted the plastic and the keys don't push the button far enough to switch to 4Hi.

Now i have to be creative.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by RKSmith163
Your Differential Lock will not light up when pressed unless you are in 4 Low. To check if 4 High is working, very very slowly make a sharp turn. If you feel the steering wheel fighting back you are still in High Lock. Otherwise it is likely a bulb out like Tainter says.
What is the button next to the stability control for?

Old 11-25-2014, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by IllusionX
What is the button next to the stability control for?
If it is to the right, it is your rear Differential Lock. If you have an Owner's Manual, it will be beneficial to take a look at it. If you don't have one, it can be downloaded from Hummer.com Click on Owners then Owner Resources. Good Luck

Last edited by RKSmith163; 11-25-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

If it is to the right, it is your rear Differential Lock. If you have an Owner's Manual, it will be beneficial to take a look at it. If you don't have one, it can be downloaded from Hummer.com Click on Owners then Owner Resources. Good Luck
Why bother reading the Owner's Manual??

Just drive and push buttons *****- Nilly and see what happens.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Why bother reading the Owner's Manual??

Just drive and push buttons *****- Nilly and see what happens.

No.. well yeah i tried pushing the rear-diff lock button, but it doesn't light up. Eitherway, i don't need it for now anyways.. Old tires are dry rotting, so will have to have that changed first.

When I took pocession of the car, it was in 4Hi-lock and i couldn't shift out of it, so turns out the buttons kind of melted a little due to the heat of the light bulb right next to it. Is this a common issue?

Now that I finally got out of the 4lock... I have to read up on the maintenance schedule.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:55 AM

Unfortunately, it is the first thing i looked for when i got it, but it wasn't anywhere. I guess I have some readings to do for the next few days haha

Quick Reply: 4Hi and 4Hi-Lock switching question