PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

4H/button stuck

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Default 4H/button stuck

Hi everyone, I'm new here, just bought a Hummer H3, home 2days, and the 4H button is stuck. It looks like its stuck in the down position. How do I get it to pop back up? We just had a major snow storm, we live on a farm, and I can't even get to the back field to check the cows. I can't switch it to 4H Lock. Has anyone here had this problem? I sure hope I'm not going to be running into problems with my H3 already!
P.S. I named my H3 Wally, because of the last person that owned it.
Just letting you know, because I'm of the female gender not a guy....LOL
I really Love my H3, but I'm concerned now that maybe, they aren't as good as I first thought????
Thanks for your advice
Wendy

Old 03-08-2009, 05:53 PM

mine did that once but it did not go in all the way so i was still able to grip it with my fingers and pull it out. i did not wana be doing that all the time so i took it in to the dealer being that it was under warranty and it was a simple fix they just needed to replace the button and it was back to new again. u have to love the warranty cause anything big or small just bring it in and they fix u up. dont no what really causes it and never asked but rest assured it was a simple fix. now it might not just be the button. they will drive it and determine if it's just the button or your 4x4 system in which case i hope u have a warranty. so it will be a simple fix or something complicated. good luk

Old 03-10-2009, 07:51 AM

Hi Wally,
i had this issue one time at my H3, there was only dust/sand between the button and the panel around it.
I moved the panel a little around and the button popped of.
I had not to remove the panle, only press a little around the button.

Hope it helps,

Jens

Old 03-10-2009, 08:32 AM

I had the same issue when I purchased my hummer - took it to the dealer and they fixed it under warranty. I know this isn't much help but I'm under the impression that this problem isn't that uncommon.

cheers!

Old 03-11-2009, 07:01 AM

Your dash panel has push tabs “6 total” that hold it into place. You can carefully start from the top and work your way down until you can remove the entire face plate buy prying or pulling forward. Once the panel has been pulled, there are only three short screws that hold the four wheel drive control to the plate. In most cases the button get caught on the lip of the case do to snugness and change in weather. You can loosen the screws, give the box a wiggle, and fix the problem. It is not necessary to tighten down the screw as solid as they are from the factory, just snug enough to hold things in place. Replacing the console is as easy as popping it back into place!

If that doesn't fix the issue, contact your dealer. You may have to turn the key forward and place the car in another gear to allow access for the console removal. Remember not to drive your vehicle with the four wheel drive selector unplugged. Starting your truck with the module unplugged can cause a error code as well.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Default H3 button problem

Thanks everyone who answered my question about the sticking panel button. Here is what ended up happening to my Hummer H3.
My son wiggled the button, got it unstuck. Turned the H3 off and then on again, the service light 4x4 was gone. All was good, so I thought, however after a quick run into town a few days later, my H3 went into what’s called aloof mode. I did not know that my H3 was so SMART! But it is! It protected itself from blowing the engine and the transmission. The dealer had it towed back on a flat deck, The service manager showed me the memo: Hummer H3 has a recall on the panel of buttons. GM has redesigned the panel of buttons because of so many problems. They will be replacing my panel of buttons. But GM is telling the dealers, that the customers that stick air fresheners between the slit, will not be covered. If the panel comes back smelling of air fresheners GM will not cover it under warranty. So they are going to replace the panel of buttons for me, that was one of the problems, the other one was.
When I bought the H3, we had the dealer replace the diff seal because there was oil around it. The mechanic did not push the diff in far enough back. The H3, knew there was something wrong, so it literally saved IT SELF! Now we can tell others that I bet your vehicle doesn't do that!
It will put itself in the aloof mode, by rearing down and will only allow you to drive no more than 80 km per hr. The engine screamed at me because I was traveling at 100km per hr. As I tried to speed up the engine screamed again, the engine was revving to high because it had put itself into a lower gear. As I pulled over and I slowed down in my speed the engine smoothed out.
I'm learning a lot about my H3!
I'm not so sure about the comments of those that know me in the small town that I live in.
Oh must be nice to be rich, we are not rich, Oh they are gas guzzlers, Oh they are environmentally unfriendly. Blah Blah Blah. I drove a Kia Sportage for 4 yrs and everyone pushed me around on the HWY, Not any more, people on the road now move over! I tell people that know me that it’s just a vehicle, but the Hummer Name seems to turn every head, and I guess I’m not comfortable with that feeling yet. I do feel very safe in my H3, I love the feel of it, it's strong, and great for the area we live in, I'm always on the HWY, because we live in the country, it's big enough to whole my big boys, who are 6'2" and 6'4" as well as my husband can drive it without looking like an elephant trying to get into a beer can.
Thanks again for all your advice and help.
One more question, is there a way of getting a better gas mileage with a H3? I drove the last tank for gas at around 100KPH (65MPH) I can get around 455KM out of the tank. It's around the same kilometers as my Kia. But a H3 has a bigger tank, I think around 65 gal tank? Any suggestions about mileage? Thanks Again Everyone!

Wendy