PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

45k, brake pads 90% worn?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 07:41 PM
Default 45k, brake pads 90% worn?

I have an 07 H3 with 45k miles. I recently started hearing a squeeking noise when I slow down. Took it right in to the shop. They did a free brake test and told me that my front pads are 90% worn and rear 60% worn. They also said my brake fluid was "completely black." They gave me an estimate of $262 out the door to replace the FRONT only and change out the fluid.

I've read around and seen people, often, getting 60k+ on original brakes. Does anyone find something wrong with 90% wear and black fluid after only 45K?

Also, considering the issues, does $262 seem reasonable to fix both these issues?

I haven't experienced this issue with previous vehicles, so just looking to get some insight. Thanks.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:41 PM

I would change the brake pads and the fluid...
Brake fluid is recommended to be change once a year! Seems very frequently...and yes it is, as the manufacturer know that nobody will do it and hope that it would then at least be done every 2 years!
Brake pads cannot be compared to the miles driven...someone will drive a lot miles on the highway...other only city...and so on.
If you hear a sqeeking noise it seems that your pads are hard...age and heat makes them hard and then they cause such noise.
Get new ones to take care your brake discs!

Old 05-28-2011, 10:00 PM
Banned

new fluid, pads all around,?$50. you mite need rotors turned, a few bucks at autozone.
$100 max for whole job. bleeding may require some expertise? with the fancy system
we have but u can do

Old 05-29-2011, 01:58 AM

@BullWheel - Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard about the getting the brake fluid changed every year. That seems reasonable, and makes sense. I drive mostly highway miles and live in arizona, so I am sure the heat plays a part in the pads

@drtom - Thanks for the info. Thats hard to hear considering the price they are charging. I doubt I have the tools necessary to do the work myself. I'd like to try, but I don't think I could right now. But thanks for the info, it gives me an idea of the mark-up

Old 05-29-2011, 07:26 AM

You can easily see how much wear is on your pads by removing a tire and looking at the caliper. Not saying yours dont need to be changed but recently I was getting the grinding noise and upon inspection found one of the wear indicator tabs bent way in, giving a false reading. The price you were quoted sounds about right these days.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by mbh307
I have an 07 H3 with 45k miles. I recently started hearing a squeeking noise when I slow down. Took it right in to the shop. They did a free brake test and told me that my front pads are 90% worn and rear 60% worn. They also said my brake fluid was "completely black." They gave me an estimate of $262 out the door to replace the FRONT only and change out the fluid.

I've read around and seen people, often, getting 60k+ on original brakes. Does anyone find something wrong with 90% wear and black fluid after only 45K?

Also, considering the issues, does $262 seem reasonable to fix both these issues?

I haven't experienced this issue with previous vehicles, so just looking to get some insight. Thanks.

I too, have a 07 and I just came from the dealer for an unrelated issue and they told me I had 80% of my pads left in the front and about the same in the rear.
I have about 35K miles on my vehicle. My brother-in-law use to eat up brakes on his vehicle all the time. His problem was he was a late braker. He would wait until the last moment and then hit the brakes. I am not saying you drive this way, but to have so much wear at 45K seems excessive.
Also, when they say change brake fluid, are they pressure bleeding the whole system or just changing the fluid in the reservoir ?
And $262.00 does not seem out of line

Old 05-29-2011, 01:16 PM

Factory replacements pads are around 100 alone not 50.00 autozone pads unless you like squeaks, dust, and reduced braking, and yes you turn the rotors and change the fluid. The quote they gave you is not out of line and right about average with 2 hours of labor.

50k is about average life on front pads for most people, some people drive harder than others, some people drive with two feet and wonder why their brakes only last 25-30k.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:19 PM
Banned

i went back to earlier threads on brake pads. a variety were used, most ceramic and it sounded like about 100 bucks did it +- a few bucks,fluid very cheap.

most guys said it was ez/fun,,,so u can save a hunnert and have fun,,unlesx ure a fraidy cat,go to dealer and pay the piper.
me?,im at 7700 and i never stop so im all set to 97000!!,but then ill be in 80's and using a crutch, ill have my dad do it

Old 05-29-2011, 08:21 PM

yea it really depends on driving style and were your driving, I got 120k miles on my last car but it was a 5 speed and i used the gears to slow me down alot and i did alot of highway driving so.....

Old 05-29-2011, 09:10 PM

Tomsbeast87...yeah that is a problem many driver have:

They don't use the motor to reduce speed especially downhill.
Always nice on the brakes and let the pads fry and brake discs cook...

Even with the automatic you are able to brake with the motor...just limit the shifting steps (3-2-1)...that's what they are for!

Quick Reply: 45k, brake pads 90% worn?