PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

35's are now Rubbing- What's up with that?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 10:12 AM
Default RE: 35's are now Rubbing- What's up with that?

We need a new subforum..........
(Import)Killer Tires...or Ask killer..(something like that.)
Import killer's the man with the info.Thanks for sharing.........Shawn..(I'm serious)

Old 04-07-2007, 10:52 AM

By the way 07HummerH3 ,
I think they'll look even tougher sticking out some with the spacers .Can't tell if you have mud flaps or not , but you'll diffently want some if not.I bought the Husky mud flaps with the molded H3 indention in the rear flaps , and they look killer.I haven't bought the decails to put in yet
($75.00 + shipping ..ouch) , but they look cool with out the decails anyway's. Keep us updated ...Shawn

Old 04-07-2007, 08:52 PM

ORIGINAL: shawnnlivier

By the way 07HummerH3 ,
I think they'll look even tougher sticking out some with the spacers .Can't tell if you have mud flaps or not , but you'll diffently want some if not.I bought the Husky mud flaps with the molded H3 indention in the rear flaps , and they look killer.I haven't bought the decails to put in yet
($75.00 + shipping ..ouch) , but they look cool with out the decails anyway's. Keep us updated ...Shawn
I have the mud flaps from the dealer- not great for off roading, but keeps rocks and road debris from kicking up and chipping the paint. I'd like to see if the turning radius can be limited to remedy the rubbing issue. If not, the spacers (if they are legal in NJ and I can find a place to buy them. I searched on the net with no luck)

Old 04-07-2007, 10:58 PM

I think in NJ your tires can't stick out more than your fenders.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:26 PM

ORIGINAL: JustHummin

Forums like this are sometimes double edged swords. On one hand they are a terrific resource for information and advice. However, unless you ask "all" of the right questions, you may not always get the whole story and sometimes the advice isn't worth the paper it isn't written on. This is a good example; you got lots of information on tires and pricing, but might not have received all the accurate informtion you needed on "fitting" oversized tires.

Someone on here, I forgot who, called 285/75/16 tires "wimpy". Maybe they are and maybe they aren't, but they fit w/o any modifications. You can buy wheel spacers which will push your tires outboard and stop, or at least reduce your rubbing, but they are not legal in all States and not everyone would agree they are completely safe. I'm not saying they aren't, but I have spoken with some knowledgable people who refuse to use them. Your second option is to start looking for new wheels that have the appropriate "backspacing" that will essentially do the same thing as the spacers, push your tires outward and eliminate the rubbing. I have not upsized to 35" tires on an H3 so I have not researched the appropriate backspacing to use, perhaps someone who has can chime in with some helpful information. Another solution would be to mechanically limit your turning radius, again I have only done this on Wranglers and Cherokees and won't offer advice on something I have not done myself, but more than likely it is possible.

Turning "may" not be your only problem! Anyone know if you can stuff 315's during full articulation on a completely stock suspension? If not, how much of a lift is required to clear them?

Another question i would like to ask is, are there any issues with axels when you upsize to 35" tires? I know that 33" is about the limit of tourque before most knowledgable people recommend you need to get new axels on Jeeps.
Anyone know if you can stuff 35's into a stock fenderwell on full articulation w/ a completely stock suspension?

If you can't, then this poor guy might have more problems than he thinks, he might tear up a fender the first time he takes it off-road... (?)

Old 04-08-2007, 02:29 PM

Ive wheeled with my 35's quite a few times. No problem... But I have my torsion bars cranked up alittle over a inch to help with clearance. Also upgraded my shocks to help. Granted Ive never jumped or really pounded the trails hard when I wheel so its not a issue with me. I suppose if you abuse your rig you could possibly hit the under parts but I never have.

[IMG]local://upfiles/267/56AA3F6F091C485780263B2BBB324559.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/267/60A841E030C346379D1A092D149767DC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-08-2007, 02:49 PM

....this is happening on flat ground when I lock the steering either R or L - rubbing the sway bars

Old 04-08-2007, 03:13 PM

ORIGINAL: 07HummerH3

....this is happening on flat ground when I lock the steering either R or L - rubbing the sway bars
It might be worst if your turning and in a crossed up situation off-road. I would have someone spot you and see what happens when you compress a tire (full stuff) off-road, aqnd I would heed the advice about cranking the T-bars and upgrading shocks - if nothing else, a ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Old 04-08-2007, 03:39 PM

ORIGINAL: JustHummin

ORIGINAL: 07HummerH3

It might be worst if your turning and in a crossed up situation off-road. I would have someone spot you and see what happens when you compress a tire (full stuff) off-road, aqnd I would heed the advice about cranking the T-bars and upgrading shocks - if nothing else, a ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
I've already installed the Truxxx leveling kit - Unless I'm wrong, I can't now crank up the torsion bars in addition to that. I will be riding around with my nose in the air - euphemistically.

Old 04-08-2007, 05:43 PM

With your leveling kit you should be allright. I only get slight rub at full right lock of steering. Your kit probably raised the front more than my 2 -1/2 turn t- bar adjustment. Im not trying to talk you into anything, just saying what I did. Oh yeah, my shock upgrade was one of the best investments Ive made to my truck. Good luck,,

Quick Reply: 35's are now Rubbing- What's up with that?