PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

2014 hummer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 09:09 PM
rsc

That would be sweet!

Old 12-14-2013, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Gunfighter13
If GM put the L99 6.2L (it has DOD and 420 hp) in a H3 it would get close to 16 in the city and 21 on the hwy. GM really needs to bring back the H3A but with a L99 engine.....
The Chevy Tahoe is rated at 15/21 mpg with 320hp. Ok, so it's not 420hp, but in a smaller and lighter SUV I think highway mpg would approach or hit the mid 20s.

I'd be ok with the 6.2 as well.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by rsc
When the H3 came out and was being compared to the other 4x4's in its class it was at the bottom of the pack for fuel mileage. And being a 5 cyl vs 6, mentally people were expecting it to get better mpg's. 19 mpg isnt bad, but the lack of power and image got the better of it. To get 25 mpg's you would have to change what makes it a HUMMER, like full-time 4wd and square styling. Maybe add VVT or cylinder cut-out? Better gearing? I dunno. Better to beat the competition elsewhere, like offroad.

I don't buy that... Look at the BMW X1 AWD 240hp 22 city 33 hwy.
or the Ford Escape with up to 30 MPG's. The 2014 Corvette claims 30 MPG on ECO mode... Whatever that might be.?.? You would think with all the technology we have now, eco boost, eco mode, turbo's, superchargers, cylinder shut offs, and 6 to 8 speed automatic transmissions we could get somewhere close to the 25 MPG's and boost the performance.

As far as 19 MPG out of the Hummer H3??? I've never seen 19 MPG's and I've owned 4 H3's now. The best I've seen was with my stock 2006's at 17 MPG's. My 2010, Lifted, with 33's (basically) has been getting 13-14. I'm hoping to get the Hypertech programer for it... Maybe that will get me back to 16-17... (Hoping that is)

Old 12-15-2013, 10:50 AM

I like it for what it is. I don't get the underpowered thing. if you must tow something, accept what it can do or buy a towing vehicle.
mileage,16-17 mixed driving mostly not highway.
I have cruised at 20 mpg on trips.
no complaints, it is what it is, unique.

MAKE MORE SOMEONE!!

Old 12-18-2013, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by stevelnew
I agree... Those are old prototyes... They do look cool!!!
I wish GM would break out the Hummer brand again.

I wish *ANY* other mfg would bring back the HUMMER line. Screw Guvment Motors!! I will never own another GM product. I love my H3, too bad it has completely fallen apart at 70k miles despite being garaged and babied!.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by keystone
I wish *ANY* other mfg would bring back the HUMMER line. Screw Guvment Motors!! I will never own another GM product. I love my H3, too bad it has completely fallen apart at 70k miles despite being garaged and babied!.
I don't understand how you can kill an H3 at 70k miles in SC. Even my wife couldn't kill our '06 with NJ road salt at 160k miles. It finally took a head on with a '12 Silverado crew cab to take it down.

Thats why we went right out and picked up an '09 to replace it.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:10 PM

completely fallen apart? what all is wrong with it?

Old 12-18-2013, 09:12 PM

Ours at 157,000 still runniing strong, even through Ohio winters with all that salt and crap they put on the roads. a lot of preventative maintenance just like with any other vehicle and it will last you a good long time.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:21 PM

What's wrong with it? Hmmmm. Let me see. What's *not* wrong with it would be a better question. What have "I" done to kill it? How could it fall apart so soon in the Lowcountry of SC...garaged and babied? Never gone 4wheeling...Drive like gramps. Guys, I wish I knew! No one loved their H3 more than me! I've had it now for 7 years and I honestly don't want anything else, but I'm left with no options. I can't depend on it anymore andi can neither afford nor justify continuing to dump thousands and thousands into it.

Issues:

• ~30k bad leaks. Turns out, all 4 sunroof drain grommets failed. Major interior damage over time. Countless trips to dealers and garages and no one could figure out where water was coming from. I finally did on my own in a storm when interior was flooding out, vehicle went into limp mode. Had to replace lots of costly electronics. Gutted interior twice before all 4 were fixed. (Remember, normally in garage) front 2 first round, back 2 second round.
• 35k drive train started whinning at highway speed. Changed fluids and inspected for wear and metal bits, nothing found.
• 45k *bad* vibration at idle. Head you say? No! Read on...)
• 50k bad slop in drive train, whinning worse
• cracked radiator
• fan blower
• 65k front drive shaft failure. Replaced u joint and CV joint at xfer case.
• HVAC control unit
• throttle body and accl. pedal
• 67k brand new tires. Truck shakes like Michael J Fox at all speeds above 35. Swapped tires with new ones. No change. Put 4 new tires from different mfg. No change.
• all front axle bearings completely worn out. (I don't ever engage 4wL or lock)
• new drive shaft CV joint completely worn out w/less than 3k miles on it.
• every flange on front diff/axle assy is leaking. Major play (slop) on front drive train.
• 70k replaced head $3,100 and that's with me buying and supplying OEM head. THE VIBRATION IS STILL F'N THERE. NO CHANGE! Have replaced ALL, I mean every single sensor and controller in engine bay.

To date, I've put about $6,000 into this truck, majority in parts cost and I cannot sell it for anywhere close to KBB value as is. Aesthetically, the truck is like new! Gorgeous! Every option and then some. Open the hood and it looks factory new in there! Mechanically it is absolutely falling a part!

Like me, I know you guys are very proud of your HUMMERs, but at the end of the day, it is still a GM and let's face it, they don't have a stellar record and who among us can honestly say they've had a wonderful "after the sale" GM dealership experience? I have read post after post after post of nightmares here and at other forums. Not just about the dealers, (I don't use dealer service BTW, only when it was warranty work) but the H3 in general and I've been in 100% total denial until now.

Until I bought this H3, I had been a loyal GM customer of ~30 years. Until today, my plan was to sell or trade the H3 for an H2. I'm honestly so done with GM junk at this point and reading about all the H2 nightmares, it's just time for something else. I have no idea what, but so very sad to say it won't be a HUMMER. I'm *NOT* implying that HUMMER is junk. But there are many parts and design aspects on it that they just unfortunately skimped on. I guess that's true of most mfg's. But unique to HUMMER, there is zero (0) mfg support!

Long story short, I guess just don't drive it hard and often enough and keeping it impeccably maintained is just not what this truck wants, though it is my daily driver...my only vehicle.

Last edited by keystone; 12-18-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:30 PM

The Cylinder Head thing is stupid, I had that with my first one and it really pi$$ed me off, but everything else is typical.

Maybe you are a 3-year lease kind of guy?

Quick Reply: 2014 hummer?