PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

2010, the end of Hummer (Business Week)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 02:21 PM
Default 2010, the end of Hummer (Business Week)

I am ready to throw a fit. As you all know I got razed on this forum because I had spoken with GM, Hummer and the ad agency and found out that this was the last year that GM would not only build Hummer's but what was going on. I don't want this to be seen anywhere near I told you so, this truck saved my family's life.

Now the AP reports that GM will be winding down Hummer and it will be gone as the sale fell through with the Chinese.

GM needs to get away from Chairman Obama and keep this division alive.

Link: http://j.mp/crB0g8

GM Said to Plan to Wind Down Hummer as Sale Falls Through
February 24, 2010, 02:50 PM EST

Feb. 24 (Bloomberg) -- General Motors Co. plans to wind down its Hummer unit after an agreement fell through to sell the brand to China’s Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machinery Co., three people with knowledge of the matter said.

The people asked not to be identified because the details haven’t been announced. Tom Wilkinson, a GM spokesman, declined to comment. Christina Stenson, a spokeswoman for Tengzhong in New York, also declined to comment.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:43 PM

From the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews

DETROIT -- General Motors says it will discontinue Hummer after its bid to sell the brand to a Chinese company failed.

GM says it was unable to complete the sale of Hummer to heavy equipment maker Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machines Co.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:50 PM

Lame.

No buyer = no longer in business

Old 02-24-2010, 02:53 PM

It's a sad day for the people who will never know the joy of owning one!

Last edited by Broken Halo; 02-24-2010 at 02:54 PM. Reason: misspell
Old 02-24-2010, 03:27 PM

It may be an opportunity for AM General to get back into the mix since the military is not going to buy any more Humvees after 2011. Saab has died several times and still has some life. The first price thrown around was 500 million and it ended up being 150 million. Maybe it is just wishful thinking.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by RKSmith163
The first price thrown around was 500 million and it ended up being 150 million. Maybe it is just wishful thinking.

Maybe if all of us on the forum pooled our money together???

Old 02-24-2010, 04:26 PM

Do you think it is feasible?

What was the asking price?

And the next buyer is going to get beaten up by Chairman Obama and his minions.

If we can get enough people to chime in on this, this could become a possibility.

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
Maybe if all of us on the forum pooled our money together???

Old 02-24-2010, 04:40 PM

i really dont know much about the auto industry so what does the close of Hummer mean for all of the current Hummer owners? such as buying replacement parts or aftermarket parts. Will they be hard to find and more expensive? i plan on keeping my H3 awhile.
Why wouldnt they still just make a line of H3's? they get better gas mileage than plenty of vehicles out there these days.
should I feel special that i am one of the very few that bought a hummer in 2010? or am i an idiot? hahahaa.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:56 PM

Good! Now maybe we can get an american buyer!

And if were all going to pull our money together, I have a few changes in mind. Ones that GM could of, should of done in the first place.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:22 PM
Default Hummer Sale

Well, at least an American icon won't be tainted by the Chinese. Now all that needs to happen is for an American company to buy the Hummer brand. This brand is definitely worth reviving. They are very great looking and very capable SUV's. Hummer is known for ruggedness and reliability. Maybe AM General should sweep up the brand, they could do it at a bargain. Ford is also a great candidate, they have great management and they have the technology and know-how to make Hummer more efficient.

It's still a profitable brand, and it has a very loyal customer base. Another American company would be stupid to not to buy Hummer. They failed because of poor management on the behalf of GM. All it would take is for Hummer's image to be repaired and it would be game on.

Let's start a petition!

Quick Reply: 2010, the end of Hummer (Business Week)