PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

2008 h3 ?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 10:28 AM
Default 2008 h3 ?????

I have recently purchased an adventure pack 08 H3 5-spd, w/ monsoon system.

This forum is great at supplying information for the noob's; thank you in advance.

After reading countless posts about ipod interfaces, their connectivity and problems. I am torn between purchasing a usa-spec interface or just replacing the head unit. Everyone know that with replacing the head unit, out goes the monsoon system and i am adding amps and new speakers.

My question is, as far as sound quality goes, should I just bite the bullet and replace everything. Advantages/Disadvantages and recommendations for HU, speakers would be greatly appreciated.

Again, thank you in advance.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:27 PM

welllllll... replacing the entire system is obviously going to be way more expensive than just adding a USA Spec piece. In my opinion, however, you will get much better sound out of a full aftermarket system (replacing head unit, speakers and even adding a 4-channel and if you have the room/ money a sub and amp). So if you have the money you should go that route if youre looking for good sound quality.

"Everyone know that with replacing the head unit, out goes the monsoon system and i am adding amps and new speakers." Not necessarily, if you just want to replace the head unit you can still utilize the factory amp and speakers. It would just sound a lot better if you did replace them at some point.

Just my 2 cents!

Old 02-09-2012, 11:22 AM

thanks for being the only one to respond Hummphrey!

I have decided to go with replacing the entire system as follows:

Head Unit - JVC KWAV50
Front Doors - Kenwood Component KFC-X1730P
Rear Doors - Kenwood KFC-X173
Sub - JL Stealthbox (Ebay $275)
Amps - JL XD's mono to run the sub and 4-channel for the doors

This is what the local shop, Mickey Shorr, had recommended hear in Detroit. Any thoughts???

Old 02-09-2012, 12:52 PM

I didnt realize that you replied to this and sent the same message to my profile, but I will answer in both places:

I dont have any extensive experience with JVC but Im sure it will be an upgrade over the factory stuff.

I use/have used Kicker, Bravox, Arc Audio and DB Drive in my current/previous vehicles. I've loved them all. I dont know the prices of the pairs of speakers you listed, but I always stick with this game plan with speakers: spend the money to get great speakers in the front doors and spend much less on rear doors. The reason: as the driver you are barely going to hear a difference in sound between high end and entry/mid level speakers coming from the rear doors. they're just too low and away from your ears. I prefer to use my money where I will get the greatest benefit.

I've heard decent things about stealth boxes other than their price (theyre typically expensive compared to a comparible sub mounted in a traditional MDF box). If you want to keep the sub out of the way then its a good way to go for sure, you just pay extra for the design.
Where are they going to mount the amps? Rockford Fosgate has a small (and I mean physically TINY) 4-channel amp that you can buy that will fit just about anywhere so it can be mounted out of they way and can be easily hidden. they actually work great too.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:52 AM

Thanks again Hummphrey.

I had planned on the shop installing the two amps under the front seats. If the JL's won't fit, I think the Rockford's will be the only option. One of the main goal's for this build and selection of equipment was to not lose any interior cargo room.

The stealthbox arrived last night; just have to schedule an appointment for the rest of the install.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:24 AM

Hey Hippierick. Just saw this post. I see you already received your sub, if it was me I would go with Kenwood amps.. Your already are using their speakers but I dont know if they make one slim enough to where you could mount it under the front seat. Post some pictures when you get it all hooked up.. Good luck, and good day.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:10 PM

The rockford amp will definately fit under the front seat. Theyre made with the intention of using them with motorcycles and that sort of thing but mine works great in my H3 and my boss has one in his 4 door full size truck.
The model number is Punch PBR300X4
The physical specs are: 1.53" x 4.25" x 6.75"

Im not saying you have to use this amp, im just saying that it works great for me and its completely out of the way.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:47 AM

@ Hummphrey - what is your current set-up?

I am going to get another opinion from a different shop here in town recommended by a friend. They carry higher end products such as focal, arc, db, and phoenix gold. Another person had recommended purchasing two sets of components; utilizing both existing front and rear speaker locations, but putting the second set of tweeters in the vertical seat belt panel. is this overkill for only using the stealthbox which is 10"????

rick

Old 02-20-2012, 12:10 PM

i have a component set of Bravox Kevlars in the front and actually the factory speakers in the rear for now (i just havent gotten around to them yet). Ill probably put a set of kicker or rockford fosgate coax's in the rear doors (no seperate tweeters). the amps are rockford fosgate pbr300x4 (mentioned above) and a bass inferno BI2000DX (1x2000watts @ 2ohms, 1x1000watts @ 4ohms.) The amps are mounted wear the factory sub used to be.
The sub is a kicker 10 inch solo classic that is mounted in a custom made box that is mounted in the rear door.

its not overkill if thats what you want but i wouldnt worry too much about putting tweeters in the rears. My only issue with putting them there is that they will blast right into the passengers' ears at that location.

Last edited by Hummphrey; 02-22-2012 at 07:02 PM. Reason: correct sub amp model number