PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

2008 Alpha, mild build starting

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 02:30 PM
Default 2008 Alpha, mild build starting

ok guys new to the fourm so HEYYYYY!!!!! anyways I have a 2008 h3 alpha that's bone stock!

However I am in the process of gathering parts for a turbo build on it for the winter only planning on 7-8psi cause im not wanting to destroy anything just get a lil more fun and maybe shock a few cars? never know.. I can get more detail into the turbo goodies later.

first question is has anyone ever done a baseline dyno on these alphas? I know its 300hp but im positive its at the flywheel and through the 4l60e and the AWD im sure im prob really closer to 200-230whp please correct me if I am off on that.

My goal is to get up around 350-400whp with the turbo setup and do it safely. this is with the AWD system.

first off is the 4l60e strong enough for this task I know they are in Camaros and such but they are also tons lighter than an h3. if they are up to it should I be looking at doing a shift kit and maybe a corvette servo in it, or is all this now controlled by the computer and my tuner can change all this stuff for me? SpeedINC in Illinois will be doing my tuning BTW

are the differentials and transfer case strong enough in the 2008's for my goals? I am running 275/75-16 tires so you know. tryng to keep most everything stock minus the turbo setup.

has anyone done this before? I am going to use 42 pound ford green top injectors and possibly stock fuel pump, or at most go with a walbro 255.

last and final question is e85 are the 2008 h3 alphas e85 compatible or not? I hear some say yes and some say no and really if anyone would know I bet you guys would know.. cause if it is im tuning with it since well e85 is everywhere where I am.. otherwise ill stick to 91-93 octane.. since im not wanting to go crazy on boost and such and I will be intercooled.

any help is appreciated and if anyone has questions of me please ask. I plan to do a build log and such but as of right now all I can offer is photos of my stock alpha, and some pics of a turbo and manifold and random parts laying on the ground haha!

Old 07-29-2015, 03:44 PM

jut read about the front differential.. do the 08 alphas have the aluminum ones, and should I be worried about breaking it cause of my HP goals with a turbo?? I don't Off road much at all, but I will lie if I say im building it to baby it.. I wont roast tires everywhere but I will get on it here and there otherwise I wouldn't build it.. so is this something I should be looking at also?? and if so whats the solutions I should be aiming for?

Old 07-29-2015, 09:47 PM
rsc

The H3 loses 27-28% through the drive train to the wheels. You have about 218 hp at the wheels stock (depending on which dyno, conditions, operator skill, amount of force holding the vehicle down, etc.) I don't think you will have problems with the aluminum diff unless you plan on burnouts and donuts or anything that gets the front wheels hopping. The transmission should hold, but that's about the realistic limit for it. A stage 2 or 3 rebuild would hold up better, but wait to see how it goes. If you open it up, add a shift kit, otherwise do the PCM/TCM flash for firmer/faster shifts in the meantime. Definitely stay on top of xmsn oil changes. Only the 2010 Alphas were E85.

Last edited by rsc; 07-29-2015 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:12 AM

Thank you for your answers.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Alphas have the cast iron front diff, and even stock trucks have blown them.

IMHO turbo is a bad idea (I have better terms, but I am being polite) and you might as well pull the tranny and have it rebuilt Monster style, because it won't last long with what you think you are doing as a street queen, even less if you wheel it.

We have dynos of 300 RWHP with a 2WD 2009 LH8 Canyon with and Intake, tune, Exhaust, and E fan conversion. No heat problems, completely street reliable. You could probably get another 15-20 with a cam and PP TB, no spool up delays, and the trans would still hold together.

Good luck.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:35 AM

Double the HP to the wheels and you will have problems. You will need to upgrade ALL of the drive line to handle 400 up at the wheels.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:40 PM
rsc

That guy with the supercharged H3 goes through transmissions regularly, 20k mile lifespan?

Old 08-04-2015, 01:52 PM

yikes.. ok thanks for the info guys, I actually am doing a cam install in the next week and just wait for a tune from my tuner.. maybe I will rethink my turbo build. as I don't feel like doing trannys twice a year just for some fun.. I posted what I am doing in the new thread, maybe what you guys said above I will hit my 290whp mark I think I will make using a full tune, cat delete, exhaust, K&N filter and a ls6 cam and springs??