PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

2006 Hummer H3 buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 07:38 PM
Question 2006 Hummer H3 buying advice

I would like some advice. I'm considering picking up a 2006 hummer h3 next week. it's fully loaded leather, roof, chrome package, chrome wheels, automatic. The truck has 131k on it, It is in superb condition.
My questions are how much do you think this truck is worth?
What are some things to check on it?
Also what's the deal with recalls? Did this model/year ever have any recals?

Old 10-31-2013, 09:10 PM

Damn anybody?

Old 10-31-2013, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Murder after Midnight
Damn anybody?
Holy Krap, it's been 1 hour and 32 minutes and no one has taken the time to answer his questions! I'm appalled at you guys/gals.

Plenty of threads to read on this subject. Go to the H3 section and look through the past 2-3 months of posts. That will tell you what to look for and what not to buy. Take some time and soak it all in.

Here is a simple one to start with:
https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/n...-advise-27734/

Old 10-31-2013, 11:25 PM

Like Tainter said, there are some things specifically to look for with the 2006 especially. Just look through those threads.

And also look for the same thing you would look for in any other vehicle. Check all the fluids, Check for leaks. Check the frame for corosion. engine should idle smooth. Make sure all the electronics work. Try all the windows, radio, air conditioning. heat, dvd, cd players, 4wd,hi and low. shifts nice through all the gears.

Miles don't scare me but I like my vehicles mint or near. Ours had very very high miles 80,000 and only a little over 3 years old when we got it. But it was mint, and now with 152,000 miles, it is still mint.

This is just me, but another thing I look for is how the vehicle was taken care of. You can tell if it was not taken care of very easily. I look at the carpets. You can tell if it has been scrubbed to hell by the dealership but can still see stains here and there that the scrubbing couldn't take out. A stain here and there no big deal, but if they are everywhere...........

With the miles the price should reflect that also because no matter the condition, miles take the value down.

Good luck and remember just like with any vehicle preventative maintenance is very important to keep it running perfect.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Have the dealer run the VIN and see if the head has been replaced.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:12 PM

I'm way to tired to start typing all of the chit we've done to our H3's lol!

Here is a link to just some of the stuff...

https://sites.google.com/site/happyhummer01/home

Chris

Old 11-02-2013, 04:37 PM

Ok guys here's the update, I took it for a test drive, the truck drives good, fluid looks good etc, but the service engine lite is on. there also seems to be a slight, very slight miss, truck's got 131k on it, would the head have taken this long to go bad? I checked the vin at a dealership and there is no mention of the head being replaced under warranty, after expressing some concerns other these issues, I got them to drop the price $1500, however, I'm still undecided about getting the truck, I'm going to have my mechanic take a look at it monday.....any advice would be appreciated

Old 11-02-2013, 06:23 PM
rsc

A new head is about $3500, although doing it yourself should get it down about to where they are at. Best to have a compression and leakdown test if you have doubts.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:59 PM
rsc

The 06 heads usually went bad by 60k miles or thereabouts. If the idle is rough it could be as simple as 15 minutes to clean the MAF sensor in the airbox and the throttle body. If it is burning blue smoke on accel/deccel I would look at the valves. Pulling the airbox lid 'might' give you and idea about how the MAF and throttle body may be. Better to haggle for $3500 off and then spend a morning with some cleaner. If the head escaped problems by 60-70k miles its probably not one of the affected ones.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:44 PM

I have never left a dealership with an engine light on. I would test drive it again and take it to your mechanic and have the codes read, or just go to advance or autozone and have them read the codes. Then you will know exactly what is wrong. If it were me that would be part of my negotiation, I would take the 1500 off like they offered and also fix whatever is causing the code. That's just me though

Quick Reply: 2006 Hummer H3 buying advice