PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

2006 H3 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 04:02 PM
Default 2006 H3 purchase

Went to Texas Direct Auto looking to trade in my 2000 Silverado and found this 2006 H3 with only 36000 miles. It cast a spell on me and before I knew it I was driving the thing home. My bride always said I was a compulsive buyer but at my age compulsions are one of the few things I still get. With that said, it is super clean, quiet, has all the amenities except the moon roof. It looks really good sitting next to my brother's jeep. I think I'm going to like it. Just finished leveling the front and installing Bilstein's. Any other suggestions before I head to the hill country?

Attached Thumbnails 2006 H3 purchase-06h3.jpg  
Old 08-18-2012, 04:18 PM

Nice, congrats. Hopefully you'll be hooked like I am.

Since you have the chrome package and chrome step bars, I'd watch craigslist for a set of chrome wheels, there was a set on recently pretty cheap.

If you are interested in a set of factory mudflaps (front ones are almost mandatory to keep crud off the door handles), I'll make you a deal on the brand new set I have. I'm in Humble but run all over the city, so we could meet up somewhere.

Congrats again.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:15 PM

Thanks, I'm not sure about tires and wheels just yet. The wrangler rt/s' on it appear to be almost new. I'll probably be in the market for some better off road tires and wheels pretty soon. I'm interested in the mud flaps.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:52 PM

Super low miles for an '06. Love the blue color. I'd only suggest you drive and wheel it as is for a bit before throwing any money at it quite yet. It's pretty capable as-is aside from the p-metric tires, and your goal in parts may change after a few outings.

Welcome and Enjoy!!

Old 08-18-2012, 08:33 PM

Welcome and congrats on your purchase.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:47 AM

wow congrats. My 2006 has 100,000 miles today. I bought it new. Yours is still a baby.

Just so you know I have had no major problems. If I could go back in time I would still by this truck in 2006. It still drives like new. I wouldve gotten the locker though....

just changed my differentals fluids and tranny fluid, spark plugs and coolant for the first time and everything looked good. I use mobil 1 and have been changing the oil only when the truck says change oil. I also leveled my truck and never changed the shocks and they are still good. I am that guy who just listened to the manual.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:39 AM

Thanks for the suggestions regarding driving it first. After reviewing the stickies and some of the posts I see by the serial number that this one may be subject to the cylinder head problem. Hopefully that won't happen.! Are there any early signs of the valve failure and are there any actions that can be taken to prevent or forestall the problem? How many of the 2006's experienced this failure. More importantly how many of the earl builds did not have the problem. Mine is August 05 with the early serial number.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:31 AM

I believe they extended the warranty for this issue for your vehicle. It'll throw a misfire code to let you know. Don't sweat it.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:48 AM

Sorry for not responding before, I still have the splash guards. I made a deal for another H3 that didn't have them, so I was going to keep them. However, deal fell through so if you want them I'll sell them for $45 and meet you somewhere in Houston. I also just posted a new stainless grill guard on Craigslist for $250, if you want it, I'll do the splash guards and grill guard for $250.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:28 PM

Lights....

I also have a 2006 and I think it could use some low-pro lights on the roof...something that retains a sleek appearance.

Brushguard...

OEM, Aries are my choices

Just my .02 dollars worth

Side rails/nerf...

Quick Reply: 2006 H3 purchase