PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

2006 H3 - P0601 Reduced Power Traction Failed

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 07:38 PM
Default 2006 H3 - P0601 Reduced Power Traction Failed

H3 friends. 2006 H3 with 65K miles. On highway doing 70 and all shut down without notice. Glad I made it to the shoulder. Starts up 2 minutes later. Two days researching. This is happening frequently. Pulled code today when testing. Code P0601. Error on dash is "Reduced Power Traction Failed". PCM? Battery? Getting mixed signals in searching the internet, so came here for the best advice and help.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HF.

I moved your post here to a NEW Thread, instead of tacking on the end of an old thread about a bunch of convoluted mix of unrelated problems that have nothing to do with yours.

We have a search function, check it out.

If you put in your CEL OBDII code with a search, you might end up looking at this. https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...ke-down-33722/

Which would suggest you do the easy stuff first, like hacking off the POS factory battery terminals and replacing them with a quality aftermarket set for the reasons set forth in the linked thread. If you still have the problem, especially if you have a sunroof anf have had your floor get wet, you may have a bad PCM and need a new one.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
... If you still have the problem, especially if you have a sunroof anf have had your floor get wet, you may have a bad PCM and need a new one.
Doc meant to say BCM.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

What you talkin bout Willis?

Yeah, I'm busted......... meant BCM. Clogged sunroof drains pee on BCMs.

It is also possible you could have a glitch with the PCM or the wiring to it, as that too can cause RP & TF.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:28 AM

Thanks DocOlds and Tainter. Heading out today to get a new battery and terminals. Will look to try and find the Stingers. I will do these items first and get back to you. Thanks again and hope this goes well.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:17 PM

Why, do the modules keep coming up?

Start with the basic: "BATTERY POWER"

Check your battery voltage!

Resting voltage(not running)should be @ 12.5v+

Check your voltage at any port inside your rig(not running).

It should be @12.5v (+/-.1)

Here's an easy way to monitor the battery voltage:

Old 08-30-2017, 08:11 PM

Update - Finally received the new battery terminals....
1) Hacked old terminals off and replaced with high quality ones.
2) Replaced with new battery
3) * Ran idle for 5 minutes; drove for 5 minutes and upon returning and idling in driveway for 2 more minutes - The Problem as noted in original post returned.

Through the posts I have read, it appears I need to go the PCM route. Correct? If so, where do I go buy one? How to replace? Does it need trained as explained by some?

Any help would be great. Thanks ya'll!

Old 08-30-2017, 08:41 PM

Or....... is it the TPS / Throttle Body? If so, I have read that I cannot just replace the sensor but will need to replace the entire throttle body. Correct? If so, where's the best place to get one? I also read there is a TSB for that part and will cover the repair of it through 10yrs/120,000 miles (NHTSA #10047220, TSB 11273). If thats true, then great, but I am over the 10 year mark but well within the 120K. Help!

Old 08-31-2017, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by H3Bubba
Or....... is it the TPS / Throttle Body? If so, I have read that I cannot just replace the sensor but will need to replace the entire throttle body. Correct? If so, where's the best place to get one? I also read there is a TSB for that part and will cover the repair of it through 10yrs/120,000 miles (NHTSA #10047220, TSB 11273). If thats true, then great, but I am over the 10 year mark but well within the 120K. Help!
Highly unlikely a P0601 has anything to do with the TB. If you are certain you have correct and consistent voltage, you either have a glitch with the PCM or the wiring harness/connections to it.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:44 PM

Thanks for the reply. I am not certain as to how I can be certain that I have correct and consistent voltage. Not sure what to do there; Meaning, I don't know the process. Should I do what HummerZ has above. Thanks in advance for any help.

Quick Reply: 2006 H3 - P0601 Reduced Power Traction Failed