PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

08 Ipod? bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 09:41 AM

Just got an email back from my dealer "our guys aren't allowed to install aftermarket electronic equipment". Guess i have to find a stereo store to go to. Best Buy just scares me to death, every time i go in there, i see a kid that looks 17 and i'm giving him the keys to my $35K truck.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:53 PM

Too bad about the dealer. It's no big deal to hook it up yourself, it comes with instructions. The only reason I didn't do it was because after searching around various forums I couldn't really get a good direction as to what to purchase. The adapter is about $100.00 and the I pod touch adapter about $30.00, so if you do it yourself you can save money plus have the satisification of a job well done. I think if you search around the forums you can find a link on how to remove the radio. After that the rest is easy. FYI my dealer is Karl Hummer in New Canaan Ct. When I bought the truck I asked them to set it up for the Ipod touch and they came up with this solution and had it ready when I took delivery. They are a pleasure to work with. The dealership has been there since I believe 1927 (just a few years before the Hummer came out). Give it a try, just don't do the removal without the knowledge, and I'm sure you will be happy.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:27 AM

Bought it yesteday...probably just have a car stereo store hook it up(not best buy). I have the Latest Classic Ipod(not touch) so hopefully i won't need to spend any extra money on adapters. i have a car charger already. Hopefully everything works out. Really tired of burning CDs.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:13 PM

I installed the Pacific Accessory Corp. uPAC-GMC2, easy install and works great, but I did receive the XM-Error and all my dash panel lights and gages went off and the doors locked and unlocked, and I got the red lock symbol on the dash and then couldn't start vehicle for a minute and then it worked fine all day. I may do a firmware upgrade and the Iphone was locking up while I was attempting to email and text also. Sounds great, except I also get a ticking sound when the Iphone is off.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:56 AM

I don't really use my iphone as an ipod. I'll just be using my ipod for ipod use in the truck. I've gotten the dreaded lock a couple times after having an automatic car starter installed(which has been way more trouble than it's worth)...i would say save your money. Got a $400 dollar viper system with alarm and with extra parts it ended up costing me close to $800 altogether. Bad thing, my ride doesn't seem to start when it's cold using the automatic start(doh!!!!).

I hoping this ipod thing works out. if not, i guess i'll return and just have to get a new head unit with an input on the front.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:35 AM

Well finally had the ipod adapter installed. Kinda clumsy in the way you have to use it. Alot of pressing "3". Then for whatever reason when you have a playlist playing and you turn off the car and then restart it the playlist doesn't start back from where it left off, it goes back to the beginning.

Also a quick note that frustrated me for a little bit: Note the Equalizer level on your ipod. If you sound quality has diminished you might want to try "Loudness" setting on your ipod. I had my set to "Pop" and the Bass was terrible thru the stereo. I'm guessing adjusting the Treble and Bass on the actual stereo doesn't do anything now. It's all working from the Ipod now when you are listening to the Ipod. Didn't realize this, once I adjusted the Ipod EQ setting sounded alot better.

Will be nice on long drives though, no more burned CDs!!!

Old 03-11-2009, 09:39 AM

Yes it's a little awkward to use but once you get used to it it's not too bad. If the radio display could show more info it would be a lot easier. If you go to eq#7 on the radio you should be able to adjust what you want. If you turn off the radio before exiting the car instead of opening the door to shut off the radio when you turn the radio back on it should start where you left off. At least mine does that. I'm glad it's working for you otherwise. Add on's always seem to have various quirks, the factory guys aren't that stupid afterall. It's too bad the radio wasn't already equipped with a feature for the Ipods!

Old 03-12-2009, 10:53 AM

you would think in 2009 that every new car would at least have an input for .mp3 players.

It's not terrible, just alot of button pressing. Also when a new song comes on, the clock goes away and it just shows the track number and time playing. I can hit the **** to make the clock come back but then it runs thru all the song and artist info and then when the next new song comes on it goes back to just track number and time playing. You have to hit the **** during every new song to get the clock to show...very dumb. This is in Playlist mode of course. I haven't really tried any other except for playlist.

Now for the equalizer thing, by 7 do you mean the custom set, where you can customize your EQ on the stereo. I did up the bass and treble but still didn't sound as good as it did when i just used burnt CDs. The quality in playback was low. When i changed my EQ on the actual Ipod it made it alot better.

Thanks for the tip: i will definatley try this. If you turn off the radio before exiting the car instead of opening the door to shut off the radio when you turn the radio back on it should start where you left off

Old 04-01-2009, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by GroundAndPound
Below is a good solution for Verizon subscribers with a pre-2009 H3.

OnStar uses the Verizon network, therefore Verizon users can use their existing service as part of a shared-minute plan. The only charge for me was an additional line for $9.99/month (but you may need to upgrade to a family-shared plan). Thus, you can use the onboard mic and speaker system for OnStar for hands-free phone service. You lose features such as voicemail but it's an attractive option with improved cell reception as a result of increased phone sensativity.

Also, if you don't want to bother with the inconvenience of handing out another contact number specifically for your H3 you can simply forward your cellphone/blackberry calls to your H3 number.
Thanks for this, but 2 questions:

1). My dealer stated there is a bluetooth option I can get to interface with the On-Star/Stereo/Navigation system I have. My cell would just pair like my phone would with a hands free earpiece (which I can't hear out of). Then I would get everything. One time fee too.

Doesn't that make more sense than having to take the time to configure forwarding everytime? And recurring monthly fees? And/or remembering another number?

2.) I also called Verizon and they have no clue what you'e talking about. If there's a relationship between on-star and Verizon, they aren't aware of it as an option to a Verizon cellular subscriber. They said they can open an account or join one to my company account if I install a phone, but my cellular plan would have nothing to do with it. (???)

Last edited by Drewcifer; 04-01-2009 at 11:46 PM.