PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

08 H2 Factory Backup Camera Replacement Options & Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 12:06 PM
Default 08 H2 Factory Backup Camera Replacement Options & Wiring

Hello All,

I recently purchased an 08 H2 which has the factory backup camera just above the trailer hitch. I do not have the factory Navigation unit, the camera displays through a small motorized screen off the right hand side of the rear view mirror.

I am in need of a replacement solution as water has clouded the lenses of the current unit. A direct factory replacement camera is over $300 so I am looking at a generic camera as an option before going with the factory camera.

Curious if anyone else has had to replace the factory camera and if so did you go OEM or aftermarket for the camera?

Another request is for the wiring diagram for the backup camera. I have an older manual set from my previous H2, an 03. I understand the factory camera is unique to the 08 - 09 H2?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-20-2017, 08:08 AM

My 2006 LE H2 has the camera in the mirror

Old 02-14-2018, 08:55 AM

Thanks everyone for the information. I went out to pick up the wheels last night. The seller remained adamant that they were 17's. However he was not informed on how to measure wheels bead-to-bead These are the chrome 16" 7 solid blade wheel. The chrome is peeling pretty bad. The seller tried to spray over the chrome to refinish one of the wheels which naturally did not adhere. The rims themselves and the center caps are in decent condition but the chrome is coming off in sheets. I picked them up regardless for $100 for the set of 5. I put them beside my original wheels and ultimately decided that I like the two blade spoke better. I may hang on to these regardless and have the remaining chrome chemically stripped so that I can powder coat them in black.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:32 AM

I am not sure how these last two posts help the OP but I will keep an eye out for you mesa. I cannot recall anyone swapping cameras for something else but many have added camera systems. I have been wanting to do this myself as I added the factory nav unit to my rig years ago but I never had the camera system.

I'll see what I can find, we can work together to hopefully figure out a solution.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:32 AM

I found and ordered a factory replacement. All good!

Old 02-20-2018, 05:14 AM

FWIW i have three cameras in my 09. The factory hitch-cam plays in the rear view mirror. I have two registration plate holders with integrating cameras on the front and back. Both are piped into a pioneer head unit. I tapped the rear plate cam (currently on the tyre holder) into the reverse as normal, but tapped the front plate cam into the aux input on the radio (it already has a host of other inputs), so i can potentially switch the input to see the front, which can be useful if you get up close and personal whilst parking.

Something like this :
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Size...ceBeautifyAB=0

Old 02-20-2018, 09:43 AM

Yeah it is much easier with an aftermarket head unit. The boxes to integrate a camera into the factory nav unit run anywhere from $250-350. For that price I could just buy an aftermarket head unit and be done with this nightmare. Honestly though, I'm just going to buy a small 5" screen and wire the camera to that for $30 and be done with it.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:45 AM

Baldfox,

My goal at the time was to retain the stock setup, however, all of my other vehicles have larger backup screens so I may adopt your setup in the future!

Regards,

mmesa005

Old 02-26-2018, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by mmesa005
Baldfox,

My goal at the time was to retain the stock setup, however, all of my other vehicles have larger backup screens so I may adopt your setup in the future!

Regards,

mmesa005
Have a look at this system - it's called bird's eye. My buddy here in Moscow installed one in his H2, he has 360 degree vision. Don't ask me how it works. Very reasonable for the cost.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/360-...229624650.html

You can use it with a screen so you can keep the OEM radio etc, if you'd like, just mount the screen somewhere (headrest ?). Just an idea.

https://www.drive2.com/l/8240711/

Look at it in chrome so it translates into english, scroll down for the pictures.