PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

07 H3 Shakes on highway at 65+ mph, normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 03:40 PM

If they put new tires on they will need to be balanced - I wouldn't worry about 'what if' yet since those are the two most likely solutions.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:05 PM

Brian, thanks for that. I just talked to the Carmax service guy and he said that they are getting the H3 back from Penske tonight. Then Carmax will have their guys evaluate the tires closely and decide whether some/all of them need to be replaced or not. He also mentioned that they will fix anything that may be causing this issue at no charge to me. So, while it is a bit inconvenient, it's obviously better in the long run that they are thorough with this problem and get it fixed right, even if it takes a few extra days.

Mark

Old 06-30-2011, 12:13 PM

Don't settle for them only replacing one or two tires...its an a awd, they need to all match in circumference or be darn close..e.g. You shouldn't have 2 brand new tires in the rear and 50% tread up front, it will damage your drive train on an awd.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:22 PM

Thursday update: Carmax service called this morning and said a couple of the managers went for a test drive in my H3 earlier today. They felt the 'shake' and approved to have 4 new tires put on at their expense. Not sure I'll get it tomorrow, so this may go into next week.... but, I guess it will be worth it to have the problem fixed (hopefully) and to get 4 new tires for the inconvenience.

Mark

Old 06-30-2011, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by amyandmark3
Thursday update: Carmax service called this morning and said a couple of the managers went for a test drive in my H3 earlier today. They felt the 'shake' and approved to have 4 new tires put on at their expense. Not sure I'll get it tomorrow, so this may go into next week.... but, I guess it will be worth it to have the problem fixed (hopefully) and to get 4 new tires for the inconvenience.

Mark
Find out if you can what they plan to replace them with. You may be able to negotiate a better set of tires than original. Even if you had to contribute a few more dollars it might be worth it to get the tires you want by paying the difference.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:00 PM

4 new Precision Trac II tires installed/balanced and all is well. I know they're pretty low priced tires, but they ride smooth on the pavement and were no cost to me. If they last 2 years, I'll be happy and can move on to nicer tires at that time if necessary. Carmax really took care of us.... not sure they had a choice, but they did and were friendly the whole time. Thanks for all the input everyone.

Mark

Old 07-03-2011, 11:39 AM

My H3 is doing the same thing with 60k on it. I noticed the tires are wearing more on the edges than the center of the tires. I took it to the dealer and they said I needed a wheel alignment. That is what they say is causing the vibration and the abnormal tire wear. I haven't done the alignment yet because I have 20" Helos on order and 32" tires. After I get them on then I will do the alignment and see if it fixes the problem. Definitely worth checking into before your tires wear like mine did.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by amyandmark3
4 new Precision Trac II tires installed/balanced and all is well. I know they're pretty low priced tires, but they ride smooth on the pavement and were no cost to me. If they last 2 years, I'll be happy and can move on to nicer tires at that time if necessary. Carmax really took care of us.... not sure they had a choice, but they did and were friendly the whole time. Thanks for all the input everyone.

Mark
Good to hear. Often these threads are only updated when there is a negative outcome - thanks for posting.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Hummer Guy
They may not be the best for off-road use, but for gas mileage and smoothness - they're hard to beat. This problem is not because of the brand/size/style of tires.

w/ 57k miles they probably just replaced them and the balance is off. This would be harder to diagnose if they weren't stock wheels and tires which would bring more variables in. Since Carmax likely did the balance incorrectly, they should absolutely fix this - with stock wheels and tires you shouldn't have any vibrations at any speed caused by the wheels/tires.
Hi Hummer Guy.....was wondering of you could give me some in site on my 2007 H3? I have several pic and quite frank I don't know all Moy parts are yet.. My Gibbs makes a clunk sound when giving gas....he vibrates more everyday...when I was at the va parking garage windows down I would hear a medal clicking/popping noise when slightly turning Gibbs also vibrates at all speeds and can really feel in in my seats and steering wheel. He's already had his pump replaced with antifreeze every where! I myself have changed the oil, rear and front diffs as well as trans fluid , and cleaned body throttle , replaced spark plugs my mileage is at 96000 but I've been experiencing these problems since 62000miles.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:25 AM

I've factory everything.... I took it to a tire shop and the said I thrown a weight so the put another one on....when I left he was shaking ever more and that's wen the vibration in the steering wheel started I've found leaks just don't know if it should be there or not cause it doesn't drip ...I have pictures in my garage

Quick Reply: 07 H3 Shakes on highway at 65+ mph, normal?