PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

07 H3 losing coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 11:34 PM
Default 07 H3 losing coolant?

Hello All,

I recently had my 2007 H3 in for servicing because I noticed it was losing coolant from the reservoir tank. The tank would go bone dry in about 4-6 weeks of driving the vehicle. The dealer stated they saw no external leakage and I've noticed nothing in my home garage or parking spaces at work. They stated through their testing that the coolant isn't going back into the transmission so they went ahead and replaced the head gasket. It was a hit or miss job they admitted! Well, the truck is still losing coolant and has 29K miles on the odometer. Would the Dex-Cool be evaporating somehow? Or could there possibly be a crack in the head or engine block? There should be external signs of leaking if that was the case, correct? I thought head problems only existed on the 06's? I have yet to get a check engine light or overheating. On hot summer days the truck did run about 3/4 on the temperature gauge though. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Old 10-02-2008, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 07 H3 losing coolant?

The head gasket can go, or be bad independant of the head/valve issue TBS for the early 06s. Ever notice smoke from the tail pipe? You should not be burning a quart of Dex-cool every 6 weeks or so. Did they try a pressure test on the cooling system to see if they could detect any bleed?

If the last time you went in for service, they topped off the coolant, I would take it back in when you see the reservior is empty and tell them very clearly that they filled it, you did not add to or adjust the coolant level in any way, and now it is low??? If they fill it up and it happens again, I would repeate the process so they have good clear records of how long/how many miles it takes to loose coolant. Then I would demand action...like a motor replacement and/or tear down diagnosis,or super sweet deal on a replacement H3.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:39 AM

I know they topped it off after the head gasket job! Its decreased about 3 inches already and has about another 2 before the reservoir is bone dry again. The head gasket was replaced only 2 weeks ago. They stated it was a hit or miss job and they're 90% certain it was the head gasket. I asked if they sent the head to a machine shop to have it looked at for cracks and they couldn't give me a straight forward answer. [&:]

I think I should push for a motor, head replacement or possibly get a good deal on an Alpha. I love my tactical though. [:@]

Old 10-02-2008, 09:29 AM

My coolant is about half empty but that is after 2 years.