PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

07 H3 with a cracked radiator

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 12:50 AM
Location: The Empire State... should be called The Nanny State

Originally Posted by Songman
The aftermarket tanks do look the same on the outside. It is the inside where it counts that they are different. The trans cooler is about half the size of the factory ones and the materials are not nearly as hardy. I saw this with my own eyes so it is not just hearsay. As I have said in other threads, I just spent the $260 to have my factory one rebuilt instead of taking a chance on a lesser radiator just to save $100. For $260, I dropped the truck off and picked it up three hours later with all the work done, including new fluids and the additive to protect the inside of the radiator from the DexCool.. PLUS, I got a lifetime warranty. My time alone is worth more than the $100 I would have saved, not to mention the headaches. Plus, with the warranty, if it cracks again I take it back and get it replaced.
Songman's right on. My mechanic also told me about Dex-Cool electrolysis because I was worried about the problem a cpl. of people had where coolant would be in their tranny fluid and vice versa cause the baffle within the radiator seperating the two systems may fail. GM would most likely never cover this and say it was operator error in filling fluids. I ended up just cutting the stock tranny cooler out of the loop all together and just use the aftermarket which is rated for a 16,000# vehicle so it's more than adequate.

Anyone having the radiator crack, concerned about the Dex-Cool electrolysis, and/or looking to mitigate these problems should def. read this thread in its entirety:
https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...-leaked-21184/
Along with Songman describing the electrolysis, Dr.Tom has a great idea about getting rid of a piece of metal that may rub on the plastic tank by the center support bracket... which I would do to mine if I could only find my Dremel which has been MIA for a while now

Last edited by JCA1981; 06-26-2011 at 12:53 AM.