PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

07 H3 with a cracked radiator

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 01:58 PM
Default 07 H3 with a cracked radiator

Hi folks,
My 07 H3 spit out a mouthful of anti-freeze yesterday. I could not find a leak anywhere so I let it cool then tried to duplicate the problem. What I found was a 6 inch crack on the top right front side of the radiator (the black plastic top). When the truck was running you could see a bulge in the area, if I revved the engine it would seal itself. But once I released the accelerator the crack would open and anti-freeze would leak out. Of course it is out of warranty and the stealer wants $700+ to replace the radiator ($500 parts plus a couple hours labor). Is this a common problem? Anyway, I thought I would mention it so others could inspect their top radiator covers. When you face the front of the radiator, it is a thin 6 inch line (crack) running horizontal on the top right front face of the black plastic top.
Alan

Old 06-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Banned
Default memories!!

i forgot about same thing years ago. this was ford probe,
i sand blasted it ,(mt and dry) and applied epoxy. let setup, then another layer with imbeded screen wire, setup, one more layer.

probably one good layer with wire or fiberglass= ok ,BUT get it clean,clean,clean.

i think it was still good yrs ltr when sold. good luck
tom

cost was zero$

Last edited by drtom; 06-18-2010 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:45 PM

never heard of this happening, good luck, you should try to get some video of it revving up and then throwing up!!!!

Old 06-17-2010, 09:51 PM
Banned
Default d try to get some video of it revving up and then throwing up!!!

paleeeese, that pinkish orange puke looks bad enuf fresh!!, and all over the engine!! yucko

Old 06-18-2010, 06:25 AM

Mine to.3 years old & 52000 miles the top rt side cracked. I located an online ac/heater core store that had a raditor in stock.Shipped was just under $200. you can find the original ac delco unit on ebay for about $300.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:03 AM

if your out of warranty, avoid the stealership at all costs... unless of course you like taking it from behind... excuse me your shoe laces are untied...

Old 06-18-2010, 02:19 PM

I tried using some epoxy but it lasted a whopping 5 seconds. It seems ridiculous that they make the tops of the radiators out of plastic. I don't see how they would ever last more than 2 or 3 years. I thought about replacing it myself but the repair manual showed the transmission lines connecting to it (another bad design) and needing to remove the fan (special tool required) and then it also mentioned discharging the A/C system due to moving the condenser out of the way. So I went with the dealer... I dropped it off at 1300 hrs and it will be ready in 3 hours. If I did it, it would take all day and in this Alabama heat I'd probably have a stroke, so paying the stealer 700 bucks seems like a good deal versus death If I took it to Billy Bob...god only knows how it would turn out. I will just keep my fingers crossed this is the only repair I will need for a while. Thanks for all the responses.
Alan

Old 09-27-2010, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by dognut
Mine to.3 years old & 52000 miles the top rt side cracked. I located an online ac/heater core store that had a raditor in stock.Shipped was just under $200. you can find the original ac delco unit on ebay for about $300.
Would be nice to know where this vendor is located and if you could post the contact phone...Mine is cracked too and am in desperate need of a replacement..

Old 09-27-2010, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by arp35
I tried using some epoxy but it lasted a whopping 5 seconds.
When I have done this kind of repair, I have used JB Weld and had really good results. As mentioned earlier the area has to be clean and dry, then the epoxy needs to set for about 12-24 hours before you can really expect it to hold solidly.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:21 PM
Banned
Default yeah follow directions

do it twice as good as it says, and be patient. heat and time,,and CLEAN

sand blast makes it rough so it sticks

im also betting a guy could thread a few thin wires btwn the cores and snug up a support on top

Quick Reply: 07 H3 with a cracked radiator