PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

07 H3 Aftermarket Nav- Antenna Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 12:35 PM
Default 07 H3 Aftermarket Nav- Antenna Questions

Hey everyone,
This is my first post since I'm a brand new '07 H3 owner. The truck came with factory single CD radio with XM. I'm looking to install an aftermarket NAV/satellite system. I'm pretty confused about the options. I was sold on an eclipse system but then realized it was Sirius ready only. I was wondering if I'll be able to use the factory shark fin antenna if I get a XM system.

I read in another post that I can use the tan lead as a satellite antenna. But will the connection fit an aftermarket XM unit?

Also can I use the same factory antenna for the GPS antenna.

Thanks so much for the help!!!
Gino

Old 10-24-2007, 04:10 PM
Default RE: 07 H3 Aftermarket Nav- Antenna Questions

For my Pioneer AVIC I used the XM antenna that came on the vehicle. I took the jumper cable and removed the square end connector and replaced it with the square end connector that came on the Pioneer cable. It then plugged right into the Pioneer XM module. If you look at the connectors, there is a small white piece that comes out and is used to retain the cable inside the square connector.
As for the GPS antenna, you need to use the one that came with the unit, not with the vehicle. The Shark fin antenna with the little dingy antenna on top is a three way antenna. In the base, you have a GPS output to the Onstar Module, the XM output to the XM module and the little dingy antenna is for voice communications between the Onstar module and Verizon.
You can place the aftermarket unit's GPS antenna just below the I/P top cover, on top of one of the top heating/AC vents. The GPS unit will work great in this location and that is the location used by the factory NAV unit's GPS antenna.
Since GPS consists of around 26 satellites, there will always be quite a few sats in sight of this antenna. XM only uses two line of sight satellites (as well as ground repeaters in urban areas), and these sats are in the south, so the XM antenna works best on top of a vehicle.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:07 AM

Thanks for the info. Very helpful!!

Old 11-09-2007, 02:17 PM

i tried that but it didnt work with my pioneer xm mod
what coller was the connector Greenish brown?
located behind the glove box right.