PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

06 H3 with Chrome Rims - chrome peeling and GM unwilling to warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Default 06 H3 with Chrome Rims - chrome peeling and GM unwilling to warranty

Hi gang,

I have a new problem. I discovered at around 40,000 KM (~24,000 Miles) that the chrome on my rims was peeling. I took it into my only Hummer dealer here in Winnipeg (Murray Chev/Hummer), and they documented and took photos.

I just heard back from them (they had to get approval to do anything from a district manager), and the reply was DO NOTHING.

That's right, my truck with factory chrome rims, which are obviously defective, are not going to be fixed or replaced under warranty. Why do you ask? I couldn't tell you. You see, GM wouldn't say why, just that they won't do anything at all.

Well, I shouldn't say anything. The district manager did authorize (out of the kindness of his heart) the dealer to remove the "loose chrome" whenever I bring it in for other service ONLY. Yeah, remove the loose chrome, like you know, peel it further to "clean it up".

I have used no chemicals on my vehicle at all, and cannot get an answer from them as to why nothing will be done.

Every now and then when driving the chrome becomes loose in a new spot and rubs the edge of the brakes, causing a funny sound until the loose chrome eventually breaks away. This is exactly what I paid over $50,000 for, isn't it?

Any thoughts?

Desperate in Winnipeg....

Old 10-09-2008, 10:37 PM
Default RE: 06 H3 with Chrome Rims - chrome peeling and GM unwilling to warranty

WOW.....That SUCKS!!!!!

Let us know what happens?? Maybe MURRAY'S has a set of take-offs that they will change for you?? Ask them, you never know??

Old 10-10-2008, 07:02 AM
Default RE: 06 H3 with Chrome Rims - chrome peeling and GM unwilling to warranty

I even offered to swap my chrome rims for regular rims. The answer was - "NO".

Old 10-10-2008, 01:25 PM

SHlT!!!! Was that Murray's answer or GM's answer??

Old 10-10-2008, 04:48 PM

I'm in Nova Scotia and my chrome rims peeled last winter on my 07 H2 with 22000kms on it. My dealer is 2 hours away so I emailed pics and they ordered me 5 new rims instantly, just at the first of summer. The spare was still new with no peeling and they changed it to. Seems strange they wont change yours.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:56 PM

ORIGINAL: HummBob

SHlT!!!! Was that Murray's answer or GM's answer??
Both said "no". Actually, Murray "copped out" and said that they were "just the middle-man" and "don't get mad at us" sort of stuff.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:56 PM

ORIGINAL: hummer plumber

I'm in Nova Scotia and my chrome rims peeled last winter on my 07 H2 with 22000kms on it. My dealer is 2 hours away so I emailed pics and they ordered me 5 new rims instantly, just at the first of summer. The spare was still new with no peeling and they changed it to. Seems strange they wont change yours.
Well, maybe there's hope yet!

Thanks for the info.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:47 PM

UPDATE : I got a call for GM Customer Service. Seems they are now saying that the rims are coated with a special coating which actually causes them to peel, and this is normal, and it's supposed to peel the chrome off. Apparently they say there is nothing wrong, and the chrome is supposed to peel off the rims because of this "special" coating they apply to them.

I am very dissatisfied. I think I'll switch to writing instead of phone calls.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:48 AM

Now even I KNOW that's a load of ****...........

Old 10-21-2008, 06:19 PM

I just got a call from GM. Larry at Murray Hummer (the only dealer in Manitoba) says that he has spoken with the district manager, and that no replacement will be done. He says this is strictly a "cosmetic issue" and that cosmetic issues are not covered.

I strongly suggest anybody who was considering purchasing a General Motors product to think about these things before making a purchase. I am completely dissatisfied with both Murray Hummer and General Motors. This is my third vehicle from Murray, and my 5th General Motors product in 10 years.

Quick Reply: 06 H3 with Chrome Rims - chrome peeling and GM unwilling to warranty