New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

key wont turn battery is still good

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 12:32 AM
Default key wont turn battery is still good

hey guys I have a pretty new battery and it tests out. I respliced all the wires in what I am 99% sure is the right order into a new connector by the shifter since the yellow wire was broke on mine and I could not rig it back in so I bought a new connector and replaced the wire one at a time in the order I took them out. I took the steering column covers off so that I can replace the ignition cylinder lock and replace it with a new one that I can key to my keys but I cant see the release hole nor can I turn the key. any ideas or do I have to drill?

a little background info; we went four wheel driving down to the beach and everything was fine when we came out. we went to Costco and shopped for a bit then went to Lowes. at Lowes we could not get the key out to turn the car off. we shook it to see what was up and bumped it into park which worked a week before the first time I had that problem. when we removed the console we saw that the shifter bushing was broke so we bought a new one and put it in. while doing this we saw that the yellow wire was out. my dad though did manage to wiggle and pull the key out but the car battery was still going. so we drove home unhooked the battery and the next day went to work on splicing the wire when that could not be done I ordered a new connector and spliced everything in order. I bought a new ignition lock cylinder and now I am stuck. I cant turn the key nor can I figure out how to remove the old one. lol. does anyone have any suggestions.

Old 03-19-2021, 04:07 PM

Sounds like you have a few issues there partner.

Start with a new battery. Take it from there. Do some searching here for other ideas.

Old 03-19-2021, 08:29 PM

Old 03-22-2021, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HF.

1) The New Member section is NOT FOR TECH QUESTIONs!!!!!
2) Exactly what vehicle are you talking about? Are we supposed to guess? The one with the yellow wire is my guess.

Old 03-22-2021, 07:22 PM

my H2 had a broken yellow wire in the shifter that did not allow the key to be disengaged but i soldered it back together and it worked after. i guess check the others to see if maybe they are also broken internally.

Old 03-23-2021, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by wpage
Sounds like you have a few issues there partner.

Start with a new battery. Take it from there. Do some searching here for other ideas.

thanks I totally bought a new battery and they did not help the key not wanting to turn to start the car. so I started to drill out the pins in the ignition lock cylinder and when that did not work I upsized to a half inch drill bit and began to bore out the whole cylinder but I do not know how far to drill until it comes out. it looks like now the top half has been drilled out and I am right about to where the button I would depress would be but I still can't turn it or puck it out. I am afraid to go any further. can I go further and should the whole thing just come out once I have drilled far enough in.