New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Hummer H3- Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2023, 07:58 AM
Default Hummer H3- Michigan

Good Morning Guys,
Happy to be a part of this great Hummer community. This being my first time posting in a forum, please bear with any mistakes I might be making.
I own a 2009 H3 CE and a 2007 H3 Lux, try to keep them as well maintained as possible by doing repairs myself. But I do run into times when I do not have the time to get to it or Michigan winter gets too harsh to work on it outside (no garage lol).
So wanted to see if someone knows a reliable mechanic or shop in Michigan who know how to work on these rigs?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you!

Old 02-09-2023, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by 09H3CE
Good Morning Guys,
Happy to be a part of this great Hummer community. This being my first time posting in a forum, please bear with any mistakes I might be making.
I own a 2009 H3 CE and a 2007 H3 Lux, try to keep them as well maintained as possible by doing repairs myself. But I do run into times when I do not have the time to get to it or Michigan winter gets too harsh to work on it outside (no garage lol).
So wanted to see if someone knows a reliable mechanic or shop in Michigan who know how to work on these rigs?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you!
Welcome to HF.
As a fellow Michigander I know Michigan is a big state which can take well over 10.5hrs to traverse. Please be more specific on a location and the work that you need done.
Not every mechanic works on every system of a vehicle. Trans guy does not do windshields, most general Tech don't do differentials, Tire monkey (wouldn't trust to do anything), etc.
Ex. Grand Rapids, transmission

Old 02-09-2023, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Welcome to HF.
As a fellow Michigander I know Michigan is a big state which can take well over 10.5hrs to traverse. Please be more specific on a location and the work that you need done.
Not every mechanic works on every system of a vehicle. Trans guy does not do windshields, most general Tech don't do differentials, Tire monkey (wouldn't trust to do anything), etc.
Ex. Grand Rapids, transmission
Hello Sir,

Appreciate the prompt response. And apologies for not being more specific. I live in the Flint area, and don't mind travelling a couple hours towards Metro Detroit or even West towards Grand Rapids for some quality work. I am currently looking at a Coolant leak in my 09 H3 Championship, haven't been able to locate it so wanted some professional inspection done. I did try local dealership in the area, but they do not have anyone who has worked on Hummers before. Also it would be great to know someone who can do electrical work on these too.

Thank you!

Old 02-09-2023, 11:00 AM

I am not familiar with any shops as I do 90% of my own wrenching, rain or shine, hot or cold.
I do have a garage, which helps. Too bad it is currently filled with an immobilized H3T awaiting parts or I'd have you come down to at least look at the rig for ya.

Any mechanic who can work on a Canyon or Colorado can work on an H3/H3T. Yes, there are a few H3/H3T very specific parts and systems but overall it is just a regular vehicle.

-As you may already know, 99% of the coolant leaks are OEM plastic radiator related. Radiator replacement is by no means a hard job just a little time consuming.
-Electrical work? Diagnosis, aftermarket part installation, etc?

Old 02-09-2023, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HF fellow Mitten dweller.

Probably the usual culprit, failed leaky OEM Radiator. I have done 4, and had the radiator out of my 09 Alpha Off Road last year when I did some mods and a Cam Swap. Winter Mods - One Thing Leads to Another

Like Taint said, not a difficult job, but messy and takes a while if you count re-filling the coolant, running to full operating temp, allow to cool back down, add more coolant, possibly repeat, etc....