Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

How off road capable is the H3?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 06:23 PM
Question How off road capable is the H3?

I used to own an H2 (years ago), now I have a 2 door Rubicon which of course has front and rear lockers.

Instead of getting a 4 door Rubicon I am looking at the H3's. Ideally, I'd be able to find a good, reliable H3 with at least the rear locker.

It seems as if the standard H3 doesn't have any lockers AND it has a 2.64 transfer case - so basically, that would be a standard 'sport' wrangler - which is capable but has a lot of wheel spin.

Can anyone offer up if the standard H3 is still good off-road? I don't think I'll be doing too much extreme stuff because I don't want to start breaking things but I don't want to go out with friends with jeep's and end up getting stuck and hung up all the time... that just wouldn't be good for the Hummer name :-)

Thanks!

Old 03-20-2021, 07:42 PM

Looking at the current Jeep offering and pricing, You are on the right track.

The hummer h3 gives what you want in packages. The base model has no locker but has 2 wheel 4 wheel and low gear lock on demand.

Do some searching for what you seek...

Old 03-20-2021, 07:56 PM

if you do not plan on upgrading any suspension gear then an H3 can work for you but if your dreaming of lift kits, suspension work or offroad bumpers and do hickies you will have a simpler time sourcing that on a jeep. Hummer aftermarket supplies dried up years ago. most you can find is chrome plated crap.

Old 03-20-2021, 08:35 PM
Question

Originally Posted by bronxteck
if you do not plan on upgrading any suspension gear then an H3 can work for you but if your dreaming of lift kits, suspension work or offroad bumpers and do hickies you will have a simpler time sourcing that on a jeep. Hummer aftermarket supplies dried up years ago. most you can find is chrome plated crap.
Thanks to the previous replies.

Quick, more specific, question;

a. how well does the break-throttle-modulation (or whatever it has) work on a standard H3 in 4 low lock? Does it actually work pretty good to get you over semi-hard core trails/rocks/mud/etc?

b. is the 2.64 center diff any good for off roading? Obviously, it's not as good as the 4:1 in the adventure package or the Rubicon.

c. are the axles still dana 44's? I read that they were but haven't been able to find anything via a search.

Thanks again,
DEA

Old 03-21-2021, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

For not a lot extra you can get a 2008+ with a rear locker or 2009+ with front and rear locker. I would say the H3 is every bit as capable as the driver behind the wheel.

Old 03-21-2021, 04:21 PM

Understand the driver aspect :-)

Old 03-22-2021, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LTDavid
Thanks to the previous replies.

Quick, more specific, question;
a. how well does the break-throttle-modulation (or whatever it has) work on a standard H3 in 4 low lock? Does it actually work pretty good to get you over semi-hard core trails/rocks/mud/etc?

b. is the 2.64 center diff any good for off roading? Obviously, it's not as good as the 4:1 in the adventure package or the Rubicon.

c. are the axles still dana 44's? I read that they were but haven't been able to find anything via a search.

Thanks again,
DEA
a. Not at all. BTM with an H3 will get you a trashed front half shaft. H3s have StabiliTrack. No need to hold the brake to do anything with an H3.

b, Many owners wheel them. If you are buying it to wheel it, buy an Adventure or Lux Offroad with the rock crawler T Case gears and at least a rear locker.

c No, never were. Rear axle is GM 10 Bolt 8.6" Gear, front is IFS

Old 03-22-2021, 11:51 AM

Hi - Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I haven't found many H3's with the ADV package which is a bummer but I'll keep looking for the 'right one.'

Old 03-25-2021, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by LTDavid
Can anyone offer up if the standard H3 is still good off-road? I don't think I'll be doing too much extreme stuff because I don't want to start breaking things but I don't want to go out with friends with jeep's and end up getting stuck and hung up all the time... that just wouldn't be good for the Hummer name :-)
I take my base H3 out with the guys in my local Jeep club and it keeps up just fine. Easy and moderate trails. But, if I could do it all over, I would look for the Adventure option with lockers. Lots of H3 owners out there with lockers don't even know they have them, so you will see them listed without mention of the package.

Old 03-26-2021, 06:55 AM

Copy that - ideally I'd find a good, clean low mile w/adventure pack but they are very few and far between. I should have bought one from the factory years ago :-/

Thanks for the reply.

Quick Reply: How off road capable is the H3?