Meets, Events, and Shows Have a meet, show, or other event to announce? Read the pinned thread about how to get your event posted!

OFF-Road Event: July 12th weekend - Silver Lake Sand Dunes, MI

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 05:02 PM
Default RE: OFF-Road Event - Midwest - '08 End June/Early July

That is correct if some one states we are a group many questions are raised hence the 45 min interview (Do not crack under the pressure). If I bring Harvey I will get the flag anyway. [:@]

Old 04-30-2008, 08:55 PM

How many of us have a Hummer Forums sticker on our truck?

I do. Would that raise concern?

Old 05-01-2008, 09:47 AM

none

Old 05-01-2008, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mine came off long ago. I was going to put a new one on, but I guess I'll refrain.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

I'll bring a couple/few flag brackets with me (made from some scrapsteel channels) for those who might need one and get there late.

This weekend I'll spend some time and PM/email the rest of the MI gang to make sure they all got the invite.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:09 PM

hey whats up all... Bill nice pic of my truck there :-)

anyhow... with the Dunes being a ORV park, the typical rules for "group" size do not apply... you can show up with 100 people, as long as they can all get in, and still be legit cause you are paying to get into the park.... you need a Michigan ORV sticker, Flag that is 10 ft tall and a state park sticker.... the ORV and state park sticker can be picked up at the booth at the entrance... the flag can be picked up at several locations prior to entry....

HOWEVER, being there intrest in July 12, a saturday, you would be required to obtain vouchers PRIOR to getting in on the weekend... this is why, when Rick and I lead the group to the dunes from HH06 we did it on a monday and a friday....I would recommend a friday to go play if you intend to gather a group of folks.... say the 11th an then you can all get vouchers for the 12th if you needed to.... its just one vacation day from work which should be easy to get....

Here is the details on the vouchers.....
------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10365_15070-34760--,00.html

ORV VOUCHER SYSTEM[/b][/align][/align]The Michigan Department of Natural Resources (MDNR) developed a voucher system during the 2000 use season as a tool to manage the long lines of Off-Road Vehicle (ORV) users waiting to enter Silver Lake State Park on Saturdays, Sundays, and Holidays.[/align][/align]There are two types of vouchers: Dune Ready Vouchers and Parking Lot Vouchers. Dune Ready Vehicles are those that enter the Silver Lake State Park ORV Area from public highways and go straight into the sand dune off-road area without the need for the parking lot / staging area. Parking Lot Vouchers are for those who require a staging or parking area for their tow vehicle and /or trailer. Both types of vouchers are free to park visitors and are distributed from the Off-Road Vehicle Voucher Center located at the corner of Fox and Ridge Roads, about ¼ mile east of the ORV Area entrance.[/align]The Voucher System season:[/b][/align]Vouchers will be handed out starting mid-May, at 12 noon on Friday, two weeks prior to the Memorial Day weekend and then continuously through the summer on weekends/holidays until the Sunday following Labor Day weekend.[/align]Voucher distribution times:[/align]The voucher distribution point on Fox Road will open at 12 noon on Fridays for Dune Ready Vouchers and at 9:00 p.m. for Parking Lot Vouchers. The Voucher Center be open as traffic and use require until at least 11 p.m. Fridays and re-open at 7 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday and Holidays. You may also purchase your State Park and ORV permits at the same location, which will continue to help speed up entry into the ORV Area.[/b][/align][/b][/align]Vo[/b]ucher time periods:[/align]Parking Lot Vouchers will be for two periods: 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m.[/b]or[/b] 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.[/b]Parking Lot Stand-by Vouchers will be distributed once parking spaces for those periods are exhausted. [/b] There are five Dune Ready Voucher periods: 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m., 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m., 3:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m., and 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. Arrivals after 7:00 p.m. do not require a voucher. A person can get Dune Ready Vouchers for both Saturday and Sunday and/or the Holiday at the same time. In order to give people the opportunity for the limited parking spaces, Parking Lot Vouchers will be available at[/b] 9 p.m.[/b]the day before they are to be used.[/b] Once the day's[/b] Parking Lot Vouchers are all given out, visitors may choose to be placed on the Parking Lot Stand-by Voucher list for the following day.[/b] There may

Old 05-01-2008, 09:48 PM

Guess I know why we don't have any parks around here. Sounds likea PITA.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:38 AM

well.... the voucher system is only in play between memorial day and labor day.... the rest of the year tends to see less "vehicluar" traffic so they don't require it... they generally have lines, long lines, to get in on the weekends.... this was their best solution to limit the number of vehicles on the dunes, of course all for saftey.... now if they could just keep the knuckle-heads out we would be that much better off!!

Old 05-02-2008, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

That does sound like a PITA. How long does this whole process take if you get there at a reasonable time, and what time would that be? At the Badlands, you just walk in, pay, and go into the park. You don't need any permits or anything, but that's also because it's private property.

It just sounds like an awful lot of BS to drive in the sand.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:36 AM

if you schedule this run on the 11th... a friday.... you won't need to do any of that stuff with the vouchers....

the park is State Owned, so they run the show.... they require a ORV sticker which is 16.25.... then a state park sticker which for instate residents is $6 / day or $24 / year..... the flag, which can be used multiple times runs around $20 plus if you need a bracket another $15 or so....

for me, I have a state park sticker / ORV and flag, so I just drive through and go play..... so its a one time per season fee....

but again, I would recommend going on friday if you want a group to go play.... I think they close around 9 / 10 PM....

Quick Reply: OFF-Road Event: July 12th weekend - Silver Lake Sand Dunes, MI