PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Passlock Cheap Fix ( Push Button Start)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 12:51 PM
Default Passlock Cheap Fix ( Push Button Start)

So back in the spring I had the dreaded passlock kick in for the 1st time. I waited 10 minutes and got the H3 to start up. No more problems then last month when I came in from offshore it was like every 2nd and 3rd crank bam! Passlock issue so sit and sweat for 10 minutes. It was getting to be a real pain in the rear. I looked over the schematic for the vehicle sourced some old Directed Alarm Docs and decided I was diving in head first.

If you have remote start on your H3 with a bypass module you don’t need this. If you don’t have remote start and don’t mind or might want a push button start then you can follow my instructions below to eliminate the possibility of a passlock issue then this is for you.

You are not going to lose a key. You will still need your key and you can start your H3 with the Key but by adding a relay with theresistor and a momentary contact switch you can start your H3 with the push of a button and never ever trigger the passlock again. You get in, turn your key to run not crank and press the button and release and the H3 starts up as intended. Turn the vehicle off by turning off the key.

Now in my case I mounted a small switch hidden up by the parking brake release. You can do the same or buy yourself a nice fancy push to start button illuminated or not it’s up to you make it your own. It sure was nice to have my H3 start everytime this hitch home.

Under $25.00 for parts.

Parts and tools needed.

1. Solder and soldering iron.

2. Electrical tape.

3. Normally Open Momentary contact push button switch of your choice.

4. 5 Prong Relay Single Pole Double Throw.

5. 5 Wire Harness for Relay.

6. Resistor to Match your Passlock value. See X to determine value

7. Digital Volt Ohm Meter.

8. Wire strippers.

X Skin back about half inch of insulation on white wire with yellow tracer. Cut white wire with blue tracer and set Digital Volt Ohm Meter toOHMs and probe White with yellow and key side of White with blue. Turn ignition to crank and hold. Get your reading and then go to Radio Shack to purchase a matching resistor. You will not be able to start the vehicle again without reconnecting the White wire with blue tracer and waiting for the passlock to relearn. So get a friend or use another mode of transportation to purchase your resistor. ¼ watt resistor will be fine but all they had was a ½ watt for my needed value.

Refer to attached document for wiring instructions . Work safe, and work smart. I have done vehicle alarms and vehicle telematics for 22 years. This is a simple fix BUT!!! If you are not comfortable with soldering or electronic work and 12 volt wiring get some help from somebody that is or does it professionally. I will not be held responsible for damage to your vehicle or yourself.

Robert May

Attached Thumbnails Passlock Cheap Fix ( Push Button Start)-hummer-relay.jpg  
Old 11-19-2015, 12:55 PM

great fix ! I might just do this just to avoid it happening in the future, got a picture of the installed button?

Old 11-22-2015, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie Omegax
great fix ! I might just do this just to avoid it happening in the future, got a picture of the installed button?
I'll post a few pics when I get back in from offshore 1st week of December.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Robert May
I'll post a few pics when I get back in from offshore 1st week of December.
thanks bud ! Looking forward to seeing them