Hummer H3T The popular H3 gets the added capabilties of a small pick-up, with the look and performance of the original H3.

The Great H3/H3T Hyrdualic Winch Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 05:19 PM

Good news, it looks like it is going to work! I got the thumbs up from the hydraulic shop today, probably going to order the winch tommorow.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:06 PM

It won't fit.... I have about 6.5" clear from the center of the bolt hole to the stiff plates on each side and the winch needs more than 7" on one of the sides.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sugarphreak

It won't fit.... I have about 6.5" clear from the center of the bolt hole to the stiff plates on each side and the winch needs more than 7" on one of the sides.
Are the bolt holes you are referring to in your Road Armor bumper or in the H3T frame? In other words is it just a problem for Road Armor bumper owners or all H3 owners? Is there a reason that you couldn't drill new bolt holes and shift the winch over ~1"?

In my efforts to find reviews on the T-Max winch I found a couple of interesting sites.

First Petersen's 4 Wheel & Off Road http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techart...ide/index.html provides a summary of specs and lists the country where they are assembled. I have heard that there have been quality control issues with some of the winches assembled in China. The T-Max is assembled in Australia, Mile Marker's are assembled in China and Warn in the USA.

Second Jeep Reviews http://www.jeepreviews.com/jeep-part...winch-reviews/ provides user reviews of many winches. I was favorable impressed by the Mile Marker reviews and underwhelmed by the T-Max reviews. Some reviewers indicated difficulty getting support from Westin Automotive, but I did find contact information on http://www.westinautomotive.com and I called and they answered. Here is the web site for the T-Max EW9500 http://www.westinautomotive.com/page...PEW-apps-.html and there is a link to a 16 page manual with a dimensioned mounting pattern.

Anyway, I determined that the solenoid on the T-Max is integrated onto the top of the winch, so it would not fit in the ARB Bull Bar bumper unless I could relocate it, so it isn't an option for me unless I change my bumper selection or the installer is willing to get creative.

For reference, the Warn 9.5xp also claims to be sealed (although I never trust seals) and it is a 6 HP winch so it is within 10% of the T-Max EW9500. Still the T-Max has synthetic rope and is 8% lower cost than the Warn 9.5xp.

I am still leaning towards the Warn 9.5xp mainly because I know it will fit in the ARB Bull Bar, I can buy both the Warn 9.5xp and the ARB Bull Bar at the same place at a good price and they will install both for a reasonable cost.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:04 PM

Have you looked into the Defelice winch bumper at all? It is very low profile and I think you can order it with the Warn 9.5xp for a discounted price.
Here is a build for it: http://www.fourwheeler.com/projectbu...nch/index.html

They actually relocate the controller to just behind the grill, you could do that with other winches as well. What I like about that mounting option is it would be easy to plug the remote into.

From what I understand the Warn 9.5xp is pretty well sealed and a good buy, most of the complaints I have heard about Warn are the larger sized winches, once you get up and over 10,000lbs they start being very sensitive to water.

Are the bolt holes you are referring to in your Road Armor bumper or in the H3T frame? In other words is it just a problem for Road Armor bumper owners or all H3 owners? Is there a reason that you couldn't drill new bolt holes and shift the winch over ~1"?
I think it applies to all Road Armor bumpers.... not just the H3T

With my bumper you can't redrill the holes because of how it is setup; the actual winch mounting holes are recessed into the bumper onto a separate mounting bracket inside, the access holes are just on the outside. You would have to cut off and reweld the brackets, then redrill the holes and relocate the fairlead... it would be a pretty substantial undertaking.

What I might try is widening the access ports in the stiffeners on the side to accomidate the end of the winch. I will have to measure it up in detail tonight and maybe do a cardboard mock up of the winch to see how it will fit.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 02-12-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:07 PM
Default Something to think about

Here's some info and things to think about.

1'st pic is showing dimensions of MM 9000 hyd on an S10. The drivers side has 7" outside of the mounting holes which are just outside the drum.

2'nd pic is to show the one control lever clearance that is required, notice the cutout in the bumper to accomodate.

3'rd pic is to show the clearance needed for the hyd hoses, notice the cutout in the bodywork. (shoulda cut out some more and moved it back 2").

4'th pic is my H3 winch mount without the brushgaurd and a hawse fairlead.

5'th pic is my H3 with the brush gaurd and a roller fairlead. (that's how I run it) 4'th pic was just for a promo.

Attached Thumbnails The Great H3/H3T Hyrdualic Winch Thread-p1010030.jpg   The Great H3/H3T Hyrdualic Winch Thread-p1010031.jpg   The Great H3/H3T Hyrdualic Winch Thread-p1010032.jpg   The Great H3/H3T Hyrdualic Winch Thread-p7100011.jpg   The Great H3/H3T Hyrdualic Winch Thread-winch-mount-7-08-007.jpg  

Last edited by 4DIGR; 02-12-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:09 AM

I did my cardboard winch cut out today... pretty much confirmed there is no way it will fit... I can't even modify the bumper because it pretty much hits dead on with the mounting brackets.

What a disappointment

Old 02-13-2010, 12:23 PM

I did my cardboard winch cut out today... pretty much confirmed there is no way it will fit... I can't even modify the bumper because it pretty much hits dead on with the mounting brackets.

What a disappointment
Thats with your bumper though right? It would still fit in a factory setup with a winch mount?

Old 02-13-2010, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by neverendingproject
Thats with your bumper though right? It would still fit in a factory setup with a winch mount?
Nope, all standard sizes and even compact winches do not fit

I just posted a new topic on it over in the H3 section;
https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=18285

Old 02-14-2010, 12:35 PM

Nope, all standard sizes and even compact winches do not fit

I just posted a new topic on it over in the H3 section;
https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=18285
I talking about the Hydraulic winch fitting a non-road-armor bumper. Is there enough room between the frame rails for the winch? I know I've seen people put winches winches between the frame rails, but I have not done the measurements like you.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:36 PM

^^ There should be enough, the hydraulic winch is about the same size as most standard winches.

I have seen lots of people mount winches between the rails, if you take a look at the above installation link for the Defelice winch bumper, it actually puts it directly in that location. As long as the mounting plate for the winch is slightly offset to one side it allows it to fit.

Quick Reply: The Great H3/H3T Hyrdualic Winch Thread