Hummer H3T The popular H3 gets the added capabilties of a small pick-up, with the look and performance of the original H3.

Fluid leak help

Search this Thread

Old Today | 09:43 AM
|
Default Fluid leak help

Hey everyone,
I noticed I have a very small fluid leak of what I believe is transmission fluid. In the pictures I circled the drop. The dealer is saying: “Tech determine leak coming from transmission pan will need to replace gasket with new kit and will address oil leak concern”.

Yes there is some fluid on the transmission pan gasket, but my question is, would it be possible that the fluid would creep forward off the transmission pan to the bolts I circled?
It already got a new engine installed by the deal less than 1000 miles ago in May. It appears there is a leak higher up based on the staining. I would like it covered by the dealer if it is related to the engine new engine.

What are your guys’ thoughts on if the transmission pan gasket will solve the leak from the pictures?
Thanks in advance.

*New H3T owner, I finally bought my dream truck

Old Today | 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

Leaking fluid will never travel forward on the truck because when you drive the wind blows it back towards the rear of the truck. Leaking fluid won't go up defying gravity either, unless the leak is so bad it is spraying under pressure and that would be readily apparent.

Leak detection 101: Degrease, rinse (and you can use a pressure washer for best results), repeat until all the dried up crud is removed. Then start it, drive, park and get under and LOOK where whatever fluid is coming from. No Rocket Science there.

The dealer is the last place on Earth to take a vehicle for repairs and or diagnosis if out of warranty.

Check the Trans Pan Bolts are all torqued to specs = 16 N.m (12 ft/lb). Then see if the leak stops. If you cannot do that yourself, then take it to the dealer or repair facility and write a check/swipe a card.

Old Today | 10:33 AM
|

Thanks for the reply.
Current mileage is 159k. I normally do most work myself and I wanted to replace transmission fluid and filter since it hasn’t been done. I only took it back to the dealer where the engine was done because I wanted the leak handled first and covered by them if it was related to where they mounted the engine.

I agree on the fluid travel, thanks for reassuring me. I’ll ask that them to show me there isn’t a leak anywhere else other than the pan.