Hummer H3T The popular H3 gets the added capabilties of a small pick-up, with the look and performance of the original H3.

6x9 in rear doors?? Who knew...not me.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 08:04 PM
Default 6x9 in rear doors?? Who knew...not me.

So after spending hours on the forum getting information on stereo upgrades and speaker choices...even subwoofer applications and amps. How come nobody told me the speakers in the rear door in the 2009 H3T Alpha were 6x9's and not 6 1/2s!?!?!

I just bought my project dream truck after 8 months of serious searching and negotiations. I was trying to hold out for an Adventure package but did not find one under $32K so "settled" for an Alpha with 107K miles. No way I was ready to pay for a 10yr old truck for almost what it cost new! But I digress...my find had the Monsoon sound package but no screen head unit and the radio sound sucked, and since I had not re-upped the XM Radio service yet my only benchmark was using CDs. Actually wasn't bad, but not what I was accustom to. So I raised the sound system upgrade up my list (while my Old Man EMU and Magnaflow Exahaust kits are both on backorder!) to the top. After hours of what I thought was diligent research, and not wanting to start a new thread at the risk of getting massacred by the forum, I went to Crutchfield, got a modern head unit and got all my speakers from Amazon cheaper and faster, after reading Crutchfield recos of what fits in the H3T. No mention of 6x9's.

Had a buddy who installs audio professionally set everything up, including a 4-channel amp under the seat (hopefully it fits) and he sent me a picture of the 'factory' 6x9 speakers in the rear doors. damn...Damn...DAMN!! So hopefully the 6 1/2 3-way midranges I bought for all 4 doors will carry enough bass with appropriate settings on the 600watt amp. But I doubt it.

Lesson? Don't assume ****.

Newbie Hummer Lover.

Old 09-11-2020, 06:39 AM

Hmm, several posts here state the size.

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...r-sizes-17324/
Originally Posted by HUMMERCOR
Ok all here is what I have heard so far. We need all the answers so this can be determined.

MODEL=UQA which has the amplifier (Monsoon).

*H3Ts do not have a sub - but rather have hollowed out doors to simulate a sub with the rear speakers

*If you have the UQ3 enhanced radio with 6 cd and monsoon which on the truck it uses 6x9 dual cone speakers in door.

FRONT DOOR SPEAKER SIZE UQA=6.5" round

REAR DOOR SPEAKER SIZE UQA=6X9 VERIFIED by ME 11-4-2009
https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...upgrade-27570/
Originally Posted by wasatch1
My H3T came with the 6 speaker Monsoon system. OK, however all of the speakers are paper! I just had a new system installed. A Kenwood 419 touchscreen with dvd, front ipod iphone jack, usb port and SeriusXM radio. I had two 6x9, two 6.5 and two front post tweeters installed (All high end Clarion). Well I had massive high end, however the lows were all gone. To solve the problem I installed a 1/2 inch spacer into the front 6.5s and door panel clearance was fine. The rear speakers were a different story though. Long story short, I used the old speaker housings and used a dremel tool to gut them. The 6x9 was cut out for it's 1/2 inch spacer, and another 1/2 spacer for it's tweeter and stock placement. Now I have more than stock, 1 inch of air for the front and rear speakers. The rear door panel will not seal all the way in the corner near the speaker, but closes fine when the door is shut. Even without the stereo upgrade, this speaker upgrade is a must! This system sounds so nice now it's amazing! I hopefully can add some pics later to clarify the project.
https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...dapters-40780/

Originally Posted by H3Tcanesnation
Ok so I pulled my rear speakers out 6.9's to replace the original speakers and factory speakers have the adapter built into the speakers. Is there a adapter made by a company that supports a direct replacement?
Or do I need to find a universal 6.9 adapter and modifiy my install to fit properly? Thanks Mates

Old 09-11-2020, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Could have posted the question here and a bunch of people could have answered with the correct info. I have the same RF speakers in the back doors of my H3 Alpha, they have great sound. Try yours out, sell them on ebay if you think 6x9s are a must have for you.

Good luck.

Old 09-12-2020, 10:21 PM

Never hurts to ask... I did my whole system and was very detailed.

Old 09-15-2020, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Could have posted the question here and a bunch of people could have answered with the correct info. I have the same RF speakers in the back doors of my H3 Alpha, they have great sound. Try yours out, sell them on ebay if you think 6x9s are a must have for you.

Good luck.
Thanks Doc Olds. I've read so many text lashings of people starting repeated threads I'm a little gun shy to ask questions. Got the car back. Great sound in the high and mid range. Very little bass. Installer is recommending a powered sub under the rear seat or swapping out for 6x8s or 6x9s as bass speakers. I don't need a lot of bass but I need some so now looking for something powered that will fit. He put my amp under the drivers seat which is powering all six speakers. Back to the drawing board...