Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Winter Mods - One Thing Leads to Another

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Well I got it back together, fired right up w/o any issues. Needed to use real Radiator Hose clamps as the factory spring crap allowed a drip of coolant at the water pump end.

At this point, why not do a PP Throttle Body from SuperModulation? Exactly, no brainer. My buddy at Friendly Auto Salvage just happened to be scrapping a Caddy Escalade (same part 09 H3s use) so I scooped it up, sent it out to James during my swap for confirmation testing, then his magic. He smoothed the lower ridge of the bore ever so slightly and sets these things up to perfection.

SuperMod to the left, my stock TB on the right.

Then some driving. On the stock tune, idle was rough, but it drove OK except it stalled a couple times in reverse from a dead stop. No leaks, no worries.

Time for some HP Tuners. Read, Scan, and Tune............

Oh yeah, those Side Lights. Next up.

Old 06-30-2022, 01:23 PM

Any plans to Dyno Doc?

Old 07-13-2022, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
Any plans to Dyno Doc?
No need for that, this heavy brick can get out of its own way and then some. I do not need some numbers to make me happy.

Old 07-13-2022, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Cleaned up and all together, ready to go.

After the initial stock read, lots of this.................

After toiling with HP Tuners, and some help from others, adding some spark early for down low torque, I am amazed how well this thing runs, idles, and puts it down when demanded.

Old 07-13-2022, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Back to the side lights that started much of this project.

How about those KC Hilites switches. Yeah, crappy cell phone pic, but you get the idea. One for each side, fit and function in the tight space allowed in the center console. The underside has clips and retainers so you have to use the space that is not obstructed.

Old 07-13-2022, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Back to the side lights that started much of this project.

How about those KC Hilites switches. Yeah, crappy cell phone pic, but you get the idea. One for each side, fit and function in the tight space allowed in the center console. The underside has clips and retainers so you have to use the space that is not obstructed.
R'n'R 94.7 WCSX

Old 07-15-2022, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

The SFAN 4500 Digital Controller. You can set it to start the fans at whatever temp you want. James has the fans set up to slowly start and they ramp up as needed to bring down the temp to your settings. The sensor is in the lower radiator hose. I have it set to 179F and it has been working very well. The temp on the Scan Gauge II (from the Coolant Temp Sensor) shows about 200-204 before the first cycle starts, then hangs out around 193-198F the rest of the day. Might get back in the low 200s when idling in a drive through when it is hot & muggy, then chills out once you get rolling. Got some experimenting to do with the start setting over time. Might move it to 175F this summer and back higher in the fall.

I started it so the controller would wake up the display and it shows the temp as F 165 (you can scroll to C and for Amps drawn).

Sidelights next.

Old 07-15-2022, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
The SFAN 4500 Digital Controller. You can set it to start the fans at whatever temp you want. James has the fans set up to slowly start and they ramp up as needed to bring down the temp to your settings. The sensor is in the lower radiator hose. I have it set to 179F and it has been working very well. The temp on the Scan Gauge II (from the Coolant Temp Sensor) shows about 200-204 before the first cycle starts, then hangs out around 193-198F the rest of the day. Might get back in the low 200s when idling in a drive through when it is hot & muggy, then chills out once you get rolling. Got some experimenting to do with the start setting over time. Might move it to 175F this summer and back higher in the fall.

I started it so the controller would wake up the display and it shows the temp as F 165 (you can scroll to C and for Amps drawn).

Sidelights next.

nice!! i use the davies craig version.

Old 07-21-2022, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Well, that pretty much brings us up to date. A random parking lot pic from last week, sidelights in the BA Winch Bumper turned out exactly as planned. Little buggers kick out some serious light for their size.
Oh, and why not throw in some new Mickey Thompson Baja Legend MTZs to boot.

Heading to the woods of west MI next weekend, hope to add another pic pr two from that.

Old 05-21-2024, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Never too late for updates on Winter Mods...

So I had two small projects. One has not completely come to fruition, but the other has. So, how about adding a Trans Cooler? I did just that to the 09 Alpha week between Christmas and New Years 2023.

Decided to go with the Derale Trans Cooler 33603; 9000 Series 9.75"x 8.438" 13 Row, Plate & Fin. Small enough to allow air by to the Condenser and Radiator, but efficient enough to cool the H3 Tranny. Wanted to use 6AN Braided Stainless Hose and fittings for no leaks and hose barb separations. 100% reliability in the overkill department.
To start you come out of the Radiator return line (Passenger side) with an ICT Billet 6AN Male Flare to 3/8" (.375") Transmission Cooler Quick Disconnect Taper Retainer Clip Adapter Fitting Made in the USA. Run your 6AN fittings with SS Braid Lines then back to a 6AN to 3/8" hard Trans Line adapter. Had to relocate the Horns to the Driver side to keep the cooler on the return line side.

Couple pieces of painted 1/8" X 1" aluminum flats cut and bent to length/fit and it is all tucked away behind the Grill. Remind me to not just take off the BA Winch Bumper Brush Guard as that was a Mother....... to get back together while still on the truck. Would have been easier to drop the entire bumper.

Never have seen the Trans Temp over the high of 174F when siting in the Drive Through Line for way too long last Saturday (like 15 mins). This Spring it has been around 165-170F when fully warmed up to operating temp on the warmer days. My target was no more than 180F on hot muggy days. We shall see once the weather gets to Sumer up here in MI.

Last edited by Doc Olds; 05-22-2024 at 01:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Winter Mods - One Thing Leads to Another