Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Winter Mods - One Thing Leads to Another

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
Default Winter Mods - One Thing Leads to Another

So on my birthday back in March, my wife let me put the 3 in her heated Garage space so I could do a project on it. The truck has not been inside except for a day or two in years. Happy Days!

I wanted to install side lights in the BA Bumper and had bought the SYLVANIA LED Flush Mount 4 Inch Light Pods months before, same ones I used in my Back Up Lights? thread back in spring of 2020. I like them, small, low amp draw, and pretty darn bright for their size.

The project figuring stage. Brainstorming........

Fits perfect in the flat side of the BA. Made a cardboard pattern........

The bumper had stuck on pollen and was due for a Bad Armor freshening after cleaning, and best to do the cutting, install, and wiring with the BA out of the way. So removal commences....

Of course that will lead to some cleaning and chassis/frame touch up paint before the project is wrapped up.

Old 06-10-2022, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Why the bumper is off, why not install a new SFAN4500 with digital control from James at Supermodulation? You see James M. is from SE MI even though he now lives in NJ, our High Schools used to play sports against each other. James does some sweet Throttle Body PP services as well, I had some Throttle Bodies for these trucks, got ahold of James and worked out a partial swap deal and...........

Unboxed it, inspected, hung it on the wall a while back.

Might as well take off the grill to make the sidelights wiring install even easier, and with that out of the way, drain the coolant for radiator removal and cleaning as all kinds of debris, bugs, plant parts, dirt, crud had piled up between the AC Condenser and Radiator.

Had to remove the Intake to get to the fan, shroud and pull the radiator. Happy Days, the 09 Alpha is warm and cozy in its temporary new spot.

Not going to need this stuff anymore where we are going.

When I put it all back together, its gonna look like this from now on.

Nothing like a winter project to get the thoughts of snow blowing and clearing out of your mind.

Old 06-10-2022, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

The Serpentine Belt looked new, I know it was only 3 years old, but wanted to give it a go over and needed to remember how it went back on, picture that.

Might as well pull the water pump and really drain that coolant. Pump was in great shape.

Having fun now, just kept at it. More to follow.

Old 06-13-2022, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Ha...... actually, since I hade the radiator drained and pulled it for the super cleaning, I thought I would install a Truck Cam since I was a long ways down that road already. Hence, the water pump got pulled.

Shout out to the guys at Michigan Motorsports, went with a TSP Stage 2 Low Lift Cam, LS 6 Springs, Three Bolt Cam Sprocket with new Chain. Pulling the Oil Pump with motor in the truck takes a bit of creativity, but is no big deal.

For the Side Lights switches, I got a went with KC Hilites 3113 Illuminated LED Rocker Switch Red 10 Amp Illuminated LED Rocker Switch, one switch for each light so I can through light on one or both sides when needed.

Old 06-13-2022, 12:16 PM

There better be a sound clip coming so I can hear that cam, DOC!

Old 06-14-2022, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

So................. my parts arrived and the front cover gets pulled, just a bunch of bolts.

At the miles on this 09's clock, I thought it best to do a new Chain with the new Three Bolt Cam Gear, but that means pulling the Oil Pump motor in truck. You have to remove the single bolt holding the Oil Pickup Tube connected to the Oil Pump. To get that little bugger back in you need more space. Loosened all the Oil Pan Bolts to allow the Oil Pan to drop as much as it could to provide that space, maybe 1/2" or so, but that is all you need.

Oil Pump off, new TSP Cam in. Added a new Cam Plate because it is cheap even though the old one still looked OK.

Cleaned the new Chain, soaked in Oil for some hours while working to where I needed it. MI Motorsports has the kit as a package:
(1) Michigan Motorsports 3 Bolt 4x Cam Gear Replaces 12586481; (1) LS2/LS3/LS7 Style Timing Chain Dampener; (1) ARP 3-Bolt LS Cam Bolt Kit 134-1003; and, (1) Heavy Duty Timing Chain.

Installed the kit and Oli Pump, moved on and re-torqued the Oil Pan Bolts. It's a beautiful thing.

Old 06-14-2022, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Used a new O Ring for the Oil Pump Pickup Tube, got that bot back in using a piece of Speed Wire wrapped around it, towels stuffed in the front of the Oil Pan so it could not roll back if dropped, 8" Hemostats to start the treads, then pulled off the Speed Wire which actually turned the bolt a time or two on its way out.

Pain in the behind, but not as meticulous as swapping the OEM LH8 Springs and making sure not to loose any Valve Spring Retainer Keepers.

Took my time, and all along the way did lots and lots of cleaning. Crud encrusted motors hold heat, lose the crud helps lose some heat.

What's with the Stretch To Fit AC Belt anyway? Not a big deal, but different IMHO.

Last edited by Doc Olds; 06-15-2022 at 08:55 AM. Reason: got my loose & lose typos fixed....
Old 06-15-2022, 07:53 AM

I know where to bring my Alpha, now, when I need service!

Old 06-15-2022, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TAINTER
There better be a sound clip coming so I can hear that cam, DOC!

Taint, you know what an Alpha with MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust sounds like, a quite "burble" until you jump on it. The TSP Cam I chose is a 112 LSA, not as choppy as a 111. The way I tuned it, almost stealth. Just more robust with a cadence at idle. I can hear it inside the truck as it has a deeper note. Unless you are a motorhead, most people would not even know what to listen for. I will see what I can do on a sound clip later.
Originally Posted by Broken Halo
I know where to bring my Alpha, now, when I need service!
I would be glad to help, but service is no fun. Mods are FUN!

Old 06-15-2022, 12:06 PM

Good stuff!

Quick Reply: Winter Mods - One Thing Leads to Another