PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Why all the hate on the nerf bars?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 09:49 PM

I don't believe the nerf bars are any lower than the vehicle I checked mine out and it seems to be even with the under carriage, I'm sure someone will disagree with me on this one oh boy!!!

Old 09-22-2010, 12:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 08H3
A fair amount of the people on here wheel. For that purpose, they really don't work. It's not that they are hated...they just don't work for most of the people on the forums. If I never went offroad, I'd definitely consider them.
Originally Posted by JDuncan
First time I took my H3 off road, the nerf bar on the passenger side pushed backwards and was rubbing on the tire. They just aren't very sturdy. I pushed it back into place and I haven't removed them as they provide a certain degree of rocker protection, but as soon as I get to where I can afford to buy real rocker protection, they will be removed from my truck...
Originally Posted by Bunger
Nerf bars reduce ground clearance. If you go off road they WILL get damaged.
There are NO nerfs that will withstand trail abuse, you need rocker protection bars or rock sliders as they are sometimes called.
If you never leave the pavement it's not an issue.

Just like these guys said; because they are dangerous and a great hindrance.
They hang low, and they come out to the side of the truck; this makes for a great surf-board, but not a great obstacle-tackler. They grab mud and the sides of ruts, and elevate your truck to the point that you high center VERY easily.
There also stands the issue of damage. These nerfs are NOT tough. One bamboozlement of a rock, and there are a few possible outcomes:
1. It breaks the nerf in half (read; sturdy for stepping, not sturdy for 5,000lb HUMMER trekking).
2. It dents them up to the point that the doors cannot open
3. It jams the nerf into the rear tires so that it pinches the tire off from movement
4. A rock/obstacle jams the nerfs into the actual from of the truck and cause further damage.

It doesn't take much. Hell, I smashed my nerfs upwards and backwards just by traversing these crazy little hills that would leave me teeter tottering. Of course, this was before my nerfs were removed and my tbars cranked.. but the point is, even exercising your suspension on rocks/hills can lead to slamming back down to hard-pack and destroying them.

Originally Posted by Tram
What are the best options for replacements?
Either nothing, rock sliders, or rock sliders with removable steps.

Originally Posted by Mr. Fancy Pants
I love mine and really don't care what others think. Once they make my payment..then I might listen but I doubt that will ever happen. I've never been one to follow the masses.
The masses tend to keep their HUMMERs on the streets and maintain their nerf bars, while frowning upon folks that actually utilize their HUMMER appropriately

Originally Posted by 2wheelmonster
I don't believe the nerf bars are any lower than the vehicle I checked mine out and it seems to be even with the under carriage, I'm sure someone will disagree with me on this one oh boy!!!
Believe me, they hang lower, and they come out to the sides (effectively creating a surf-board effect, where the truck gets stuck on top of the mud and prevents the tires from being able to push the truck, ie ruts and getting high centered.

Last edited by 85_305; 09-22-2010 at 12:21 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by 85_305
The masses tend to keep their HUMMERs on the streets and maintain their nerf bars, while frowning upon folks that actually utilize their HUMMER appropriately
We use ours appropriately. It picks the kids up well and provides a safe form of transportation for my wife, who also uses the nerf bars to get in it. Also from time to time it tows my boat and atv's.

How you use your vehicle is up to you and how you dress is it the same. For people to tell me what I should do because they do it...is ridiculous to me. If people spent more time trying to help on here than flame....it would be a much better forum. Especially without SPAM lol.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:33 AM

I got the u-steps that mount directly to the rocker bars, and are "removable." That means they are just slightly less of a pain in the *** to remove than tube steps before offroading. Though with the right air tools and wrenches, both are pretty easy to remove.

I got the steps because I carry my girlfriend in my truck a lot more often than I offroad - and without steps it's kind of a pain to get in - especially in a dress.

It would be foolish to assume that anyone with steps doesn't offroad their truck - it would also be foolish not to remove them prior to offroading.

Attached Thumbnails Why all the hate on the nerf bars?-hummer-h3-rockers-steps-480.jpg  
Old 09-22-2010, 10:16 AM

My H3 came with a set of nerf bars. I would never have bought them otherwise but so far they have been only a minor PITA. My offroad driving doesn't generally involve rock crawling so I haven't had any real damage to the nerfs - yet. They do gather mud better than any other part of the truck. They also share that gathered mud with your legs or trousers and they do that really well. As steps they work marginally well.

Eventually I will get annoyed enough to replace the nerf bars but not so far. If anyone wants to buy a used set though, I will happily part with them and buy some rock rails. Takers??

Old 09-22-2010, 03:21 PM

I like the way the H1 factory bars work the best, pull two pins and slide them off for trail use. This would have been a great design for the factory H3 nerf bars too.

The H3 bars are more of a pain to remove when needed but they sure are awesome door ding blockers when installed for street use.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:43 PM

I HATE the nerf bars. When I was out mudding before I bottomed out on the nerd bars, and the passenger side one was pulled back into my tires VERY VERY hard. As I was pulling out of the hole I heard a loud high pitch ballon like rubbing screech.If you could picture the soft 90 degree bend acting as a jam or brake. It was enough to cause a ballon on the tire around where the nerf bar had been jammed into my tire.

So I was STUCK. Luckly I'm not a dumba** and looped my mudding strap around my so call nerf bar, tied the strap to the nearest tree, and backed up my truck thus pulling it back away from tire. For me if their going to put a nerf bar on a HUMMER they should at least make them flush with the frame!

I dont like the look of nerf bars. It seems to add 2" and is just one less thing to worry about while off-road.

Last edited by Quiksilver-H3; 09-23-2010 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Spaces
Old 09-30-2010, 12:45 PM

I leave them on there to keep my wife from complaining when she's climbing in (I ride a stock suspension on 295 Nittos but she's 4'9")... otherwise i'd take them off since I already hit a rock with one of them.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:56 PM
Banned

Believe me, my wife and 10 year old daughter b*tched for a few weeks too. I told them they can start walking or hitch hiking if they dont like the mans-truck.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:18 PM

Amusing that this...

Originally Posted by Quiksilver-H3
When I was out mudding before I bottomed out on the nerd bars, and the passenger side one was pulled back into my tires VERY VERY hard.
...and this...

Originally Posted by Quiksilver-H3
Luckly I'm not a dumba**
Are in the same post...

Quick Reply: Why all the hate on the nerf bars?