Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

white creamy stuff under oil filler cap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 04:10 PM
Default white creamy stuff under oil filler cap?

What up?I have a 2006 H3 5.3L. I,m getting white creamy stuff under my oil cap.Is there anybody else with this same thing happening?My truck has 80,000 miles and purrs like a kitten.I mean it runs great,very powerful,idles smooth I just don't think there should be moister in engine.Driving me crazy!can anyone help?

Old 03-13-2013, 03:58 PM

Hi Aces...
I'm going to guess 3.5L and the white creamy condensation is moisture under the oil cap. It is not uncommon if your vehicle is not driven great distances on a regular basis. The engine tends to not burn off the condensation and it then forms a layer under the cap.

Chris

Old 03-13-2013, 06:02 PM

Are you losing coolant? Keep a close eye on the level (check cold; daily). Is your coolant discolored? Excessive moisture in the engine causes the creamy foam in your oil cap.

Normal condensation would not cause that condition.

Take some pics ; 1- under your oil cap & 2- coolant reservoir, and post.

Btw, I drive my Hummer maybe 20 miles a week and I have never seen any condition you described.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by Happy Hummer
Hi Aces...
I'm going to guess 3.5L and the white creamy condensation is moisture under the oil cap. It is not uncommon if your vehicle is not driven great distances on a regular basis. The engine tends to not burn off the condensation and it then forms a layer under the cap.

Chris

I agree with Happy Hummer. Have seen it happen many times.

WBaird

Old 03-13-2013, 07:40 PM

It may be a common problem but it should not happen even if you drive 1 mile a year. There should never be moisture.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by egroegart
It may be a common problem but it should not happen even if you drive 1 mile a year. There should never be moisture.

There is an underlying cause!

Old 03-13-2013, 11:21 PM

Yes, something is causing it. I keep seeing people just saying that this is common......like it is normal or ok that it is happening. But it is not. Get it checked out.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:10 PM

today when i did an underhood checkout,oil,etc, i remembered this thread and , for the first time in my life, i looked under the cap!!..

just oil,nothing else after driving.
i too think people make stuff up. if someone actually looked a lot AND saw the stuff a lot would they say nothing?.

so for kicks,tomorrow morn,ill start cold,drive a mile,and check.
i m predicting nothin g.

if you got white foam better do some careful checking.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:50 PM

Plenty of people who drive short tips all of the time have reported a "milky white substance" on the underside of the filler cap and inside the filler tube. It is condensation (water and oil mixed) vapor from the crank case which when cools forms the "milky white substance".

If you just drive short trips you will not create enough heat for a sustained amount of time to burn off the condensation thus more of the "milky white substance" will accumulate under the cap and sometimes on the oil dip stick tube.

Wipe it out and take your rig for a nice long drive.

If you are not just driving short trips then you would want to check all of the crank case breather lines to make sure they are not obstructed. I believe there are 2 of them on the I5.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:30 AM
Default white creamy stuff

or white milky substance?
i did a search for both and came up with only this thread.
im still having trouble with this for a number of reasons.

one; my h3,i5, and ive had two, never needs a drop of oil between changes. i have never heard of one that does. thats the only time i ever take the cap off, to add new oil. even then i dont remember ever looking at the bottom!
two,so if a lot of guys are reporting this, where are the threads and are they adding oil routinely because of using oil?

after breakfast i will drive,from a cold start and take a picture of the cap avery mile until i find "white creamy stuff",or i get back from the gas station!

Quick Reply: white creamy stuff under oil filler cap?