Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

weight issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 05:53 PM
Default weight issues?

Now that the rockers are on I am shopping for my front brushguard and winch system. There are a fair bit of choices but nothing I like so far. What I am looking for is a replacement for the front plastic bumper that will act as a bumper/brushguard and hold a winch.

The front already leans down a bit as you all know, what will adding that kinda weight do to the front end? Lower it more? reduce my clearance?

Also, at what point do I need to start considering weight as it affects vehicle performance? I want to eventually have the rockers (already on), winch/brush guard, gobi slim roof rack and some other recovery equipment that will mount either inside or out (jack, etc.) and various other equipment.

Thanks for any advice. Oh, I have the H3 adventure package, manual with the 3.7 liter engine.

Rob

Old 08-18-2007, 06:33 PM
Default RE: weight issues?

hey rob,
thats about the same setup on gear as I have. I had my t-bars cranked 3 turns before the winch and after it was squatted back down to stock. So I added 3 more turns and you wouldnt even notice a difference.
I don't think there is much perfomance loss but I think the only thing I noticed was that the nose dives a little more than stock during braking.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

I've always said the best swimming pool is my friend's. Same with a winch............friend. Say, doode, yer in MI Bro!!!!! My newest pal. Silver Lake next summer man, I'll post it, you will have a blast! So what's up. ((winch at Silver Lake = no problems under ANY circumstances)) How's it goin, bestest bud? [sm=happy046.gif]

Seriously, how much does the winch, total package, weigh??? Sounds heavy, more than I expected.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:04 PM

Boulder Accessories has what you're looking for.

Couple that with a Ready Lift leveling kit, and a Volant, or GM intake kit, and you should be good to go.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:34 PM

I really like that look. Problem is I want the warn winch/compressor combo, I doubt that unit comes with that. Where can I find prices for that? The website says contact your h2 or h3 dealer.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Doc Olds

I've always said the best swimming pool is my friend's. Same with a winch............friend. Say, doode, yer in MI Bro!!!!! My newest pal. Silver Lake next summer man, I'll post it, you will have a blast! So what's up. ((winch at Silver Lake = no problems under ANY circumstances)) How's it goin, bestest bud? [sm=happy046.gif]

Seriously, how much does the winch, total package, weigh??? Sounds heavy, more than I expected.

haha! I still have not been to silver lake!!!!! I thought the guys at Harvey Hummer said they were going to put together a hummer happening there but it never happened!! Speaking of which, are you going to the 28th street cruise? I'll be there at harvey.

I figure with the winch, brush guard and winch mount, its about 250 lbs bolted to the nose. Quite a significant amount really when its that far in front.
The Gobi rack is about 125lbs if I remember right.
So with all the stuff, its a decent amount of weight but no different than driving around with passengers. I didn't notice any change when I put the Gobi on but the winch was definately a difference. I personally think it made it ride better but I think thats because my t-bars were up so high.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:44 PM

Be careful with that winch...it's very tall and blocks the air flow to the radiator...My brothers jeep now runs hotter and we are probably going to have to address the cooling system here pretty soon.

Name:  frontofjeep.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  31.5 KB

BTW....winch,and other stuff will add weight and will make your t-bars sag quicker than without any added front end weight....but it'n notlike it will be an immediate thing.I fit does drop the front end crank the t-bars up some.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

is that the power plant with the air compressor???

Old 08-18-2007, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Like I said, my best friend with a simming pool has a winch. [sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif] Maybe stiffer gas pressure shocks for some help? I'm gonna post a open invite to Silver Lake, tons of stuff to do besides mega wheelin. Look for it in the spring 08, date July/August 08

Old 08-18-2007, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

and you know what Doc... you're always welcome to come to Jersey....

Quick Reply: weight issues?