Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Using Stock XM Antenna with Aftermarket Unit

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 05:26 PM
Default Using Stock XM Antenna with Aftermarket Unit

I installed a new pioneer head unit and got the XM unit to go with it. The XM unit is a Pioneer GEX=P920XM. It comes w/it's own XM antenna and I wanted to use my existing antenna. I found the GM XM box and removed the antenna and it almost fits. Just a little notches are the wrong way. So my question to you guys is does anyone know of an adapter that I could get to use the original antenna w/out cutting it. The reason I ask is b/c I want to remove my head unit if I sell it and want the XM functionality to be intact and would prefer not cutting the wire b/c then I have to re-splice it. Not a huge deal but if a some type of adapter was available I would like to use that.

If there isn't an adapter would cutting the stock antenna's wire and attaching it to the end of the supplied antenna cable work? Has anyone done this? I would hate to do that work and have it not pan out. I know that you can't mix Sirrus and XM antennas but since these are both XM units the ends look almost identical.

Thanks in advance.

- Jason

Old 12-31-2011, 06:02 PM
Banned

without looking ill guess that the "wire" is actually coax, not ez to splice,VERY DIFFICULT to work with. pause,,,find an adapter,it may be on the rack at autozone or walmart.
dont cut it.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:43 PM

Check out Metra's website. If there's one to be found, they would have it.
Metra Online | Antennaworks Aftermaket Antennas

Old 01-02-2012, 02:19 PM

Where is the GM XM unit typically located and what does it look like?

Soz

Old 01-19-2012, 01:59 PM

Just in case anyone runs into this in the future I want to let everyone know that I got this working very easily. The end of the GM XM is a FAKRA but keyed w/a non-standard XM code. So I bought this item:

FAKRA Adapter Cable for SIRIUS XM SMB Antennas | SMB_FKA FAKRA Antenna Adapter Connector Plug for Pioneer & older receivers docks cradles

The pink FAKRA is what I need to connect to the Pioneer XM unit.

For the install I unconnected the antenna from the stock XM box. The XM antenna runs right behind the glove box so I dropped it so I could see behind it. The stock antenna is connected to the glove box frame via those fasteners that you push through a hold and they expand. I just un-did those so I could get some slack. Then I simply pluged the male end of the adapter I bought (the side w/out the FAKRA on it) into the GM FAKRA and secured it w/electrical tape. I proabaly would've stayed in there w/out the tape but I wanted to be sure. I mounted the aftermarket XM unit in the glove box so I didn't have to buy any extension wire for the antenna. I'll post some pics of the install tonight when I get home from work.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:03 PM

I hope you guys who are using the stock H3 antenna and a after market head unit, get it working
I have talked to Metra and they do not have an adapter that works for your application.
I also talked to another online antenna maker and thy told me even with an adapter it still may not work.
He said antenna and head units need to be same frequency.
I tried to get a Pioneer magnetic antenna to work with the stock H3 navigation and Sirus /XM radio and was told it would not work.

If anyone has solved this problem please let me and the forum know your results

Old 01-20-2012, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by wfturner
I hope you guys who are using the stock H3 antenna and a after market head unit, get it working
I have talked to Metra and they do not have an adapter that works for your application.
I also talked to another online antenna maker and thy told me even with an adapter it still may not work.
He said antenna and head units need to be same frequency.
I tried to get a Pioneer magnetic antenna to work with the stock H3 navigation and Sirus /XM radio and was told it would not work.

If anyone has solved this problem please let me and the forum know your results
I did get it working. I am using the stock H3 antenna w/the pioneer GEX-P920XM unit. All I had to do was buy the adapter I posted above for $9.95 and I was all set. I talked to the guys at TSS radio and they told me the same thing. It can't be done. But I did it.

Now you want to use the stock xm box w/an aftermarket antenna? Do you not have the stock antenna anymore? I would think that if my Pioneer unit worked with the stock antenna you could use the pioneer antenna w/the stock XM unit. You'll need a antenna w/a femal SMB. If it has a FAKRA on it just remove the FAKRA and plug it into the male SMB plug on the stock XM unit and you should be all set. Did you try that?

Old 01-20-2012, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by jvorpahl
I did get it working. I am using the stock H3 antenna w/the pioneer GEX-P920XM unit. All I had to do was buy the adapter I posted above for $9.95 and I was all set. I talked to the guys at TSS radio and they told me the same thing. It can't be done. But I did it.

Now you want to use the stock xm box w/an aftermarket antenna? Do you not have the stock antenna anymore? I would think that if my Pioneer unit worked with the stock antenna you could use the pioneer antenna w/the stock XM unit. You'll need a antenna w/a femal SMB. If it has a FAKRA on it just remove the FAKRA and plug it into the male SMB plug on the stock XM unit and you should be all set. Did you try that?
That is great news that you have it working. Does both the GPS navigation and the XM work ?? That would be important to my project
I wanted to buy a H3 factory nav/XM unit for another car that already has a Pioneer GPS/ XM antenna on the roof. So, basically the opposite of your project.
Please let me know if the nav works too, thanks.
Thanks for the link to the adapter

Last edited by wfturner; 01-20-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:26 AM

I know nothing about GPS antennas. I have heard that they make antennas that are both GPS and XM and I assume that is what you are talking about. I have no idea about those, just XM antennas. Why don't you just order the stock XM/NAV antenna from GM Parts Direct or some similar place? It shouldn't be that much and it could save you a headache.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:42 PM

Here are the pics I promised:

Pic 1 - A look inside the glove box

Pic 2 - The wiring w/the glove box dropped

Pic 3 - A close up of the adapter connected to the stock XM antenna. Sorry about the tape on it. If someone is interested I can remove it and take a pic. But it's just the male end of the adapter in the above post connected to the female end of the FAKRA w/tape to secure it.

Pic 4 - Stock XM antenna. There is a 2nd FAKRA (the yellowish plug) behind the glove box that connects to an extension that runs to the stock XM box. You could always remove the stock extension at this point and attach to this point if you don't need the extra slack. I need the extra slack so I kept it on.

Quick Reply: Using Stock XM Antenna with Aftermarket Unit