Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

The Under $90 Air Intake!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Songman
Was washing the truck this afternoon and popped the hood to spray the engine off. First thing I noticed was that every clamp on my new intake tube had worked its way off the rubber boots. I guess they worked loose before all the vibration could crack the plastic.

Also today I fueled up with ridicuously expensive gas and when I entered the info into my Droid, it said my mileage for this tank was 13.7. Same driving as always. No other changes to anything other than the intake tube setup. Maybe it is just coincidence but I have never gotten mpgs this bad. Maybe with all the clamps loose I was getting nothing but bad air? I don't know.

So anyway, I modified the setup a little bit. I started to just put the whole stock setup back on but ended up just using the two accordian boots and the 22 degree bend section from Spectre. The straight piece that I had already drilled for the crankcase vent would not work. You need the bend. So basically I just got rid of the air box. I know the accordian boots will mess the air flow up compared to a smooth pipe but I want to see what difference it makes like this. Because of the different boot sizes, I did end up having to cut up some of the Spectre boots to seal up the ends of the pipe. So far, so good. The vibration that I was first concerned about with the air intake pipe is gone. No more worries about getting too close to a coil pack either. Plenty of clearance now.

You can see in this picture that I used one layer of the Spectre boot to make the factory boot fit the pipe on the throttle body end.

On the filter end I had to use two layers of the cut Spectre boot to make it work.

yeah, any leak in tubes upstream from Mass Airflow Sensor will confuse the computer ....it cant provide proper fuel mix if it doesn't know proper amount of air going into motor.......please let us know how the fuel economy goes now.....I am gonna do something to intake on mine, just not sure what yet.....

Old 07-05-2011, 11:05 AM

Hey Vinny, where did you find the flange type mount for the inside of your fender well ???? I'm wanting to look into one of those.....

Old 07-07-2011, 05:06 PM

i think i got it at autozone or discount.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:02 PM

Can I do this for a Hummer H2?

Old 08-23-2011, 06:03 AM

Can I do this modification on the H2

Old 08-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

The H2 intakes (both 03/07 and 08 & ups) are completely different than the 3s. So the answer would be no and no again .... since you asked twice.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

AND since we are asking about H2's in the H3 thread....

I'll go ahead and say that in my decades of mechanical experience I have never installed an intake system as nice as the AirDoc. The ONLY way that system could be easier is if it came with a mustard packet full of silicon grease to fit the flex pieces...

Old 08-26-2011, 08:51 AM

This is an old post, but I want to know if it is still good information. Im sure the prices may have changed by now, but is the outcome still good? sounds really good and easy and for the price, why not? I just want to make sure that anyone who did this MOD had good results. I have an 06 H3 and do a lot of towing....camping gear trailer, dirt bikes, ect... I would love to put a cold air intake on my truck, but dont want to spend $400.00 doing it.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:41 AM
rsc

I did it last year and think it's still a good mod. I would change the coupler at the fender to one that's slightly longer but I have had no issues other than that, no problems with loosening hoses/clamps or interference with the coil pack connector. I guess an AirDoc would be better if you had the money but I don't regret going this route.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by rsc
I did it last year and think it's still a good mod. I would change the coupler at the fender to one that's slightly longer but I have had no issues other than that, no problems with loosening hoses/clamps or interference with the coil pack connector. I guess an AirDoc would be better if you had the money but I don't regret going this route.

Verg Good! Looks Like I have new project to do then, cant wait to get started. I love adding new stuff to my H3. Its time to add under the hood!
Thank you for the reply.

Quick Reply: The Under $90 Air Intake!