Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

The Under $90 Air Intake!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 08:51 PM

The original equipment is standard and the hoses have a 3 1/2" ID, left and right sides of the metal tube I put in and when you remove the resonator box it is a straight shot between them. It is a 3 1/2" OD piece of truck exhaust pipe thet fits into the standard hoses great. The right side just had to loosen the clamp a little more to work the pipe into it. The engine breather hose I got 11'' long to have enough and it just fit so good with the long arch I didn't cut it.
The only bought parts are the Flange and short hose at the fender, and the crankcase vent hose and the little hose adapter kit to attach it to the new intake. O and the free 3 1/2" od x 6 1/2" long piece of exhaust pipe that I filed and cleaned up any sharp edges.
Just another cheeper way to do the intake.
Hope that is what you was asking.
Take care.

$6.95 x1 Spectre 8711 Vacuum/ Sensor adapter Kit
$7.95 x1 Spectre 8771 3” Coupler kit
$7.95 x1 Spectre Flange
$2.00 11" of 1/2" id hose
Free 6 1/2" length of 3 1/2" od exhaust pipe

Attached Thumbnails The Under  Air Intake!-cutpipe.jpg  
Old 10-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Banned

can someone explain how to adapt this to a 2008 hummer h3 ? I have been doing a lot of reading but it seems many people are saying it does not fit the 2008. I noticed that the air box is different, i went to a hardware store to get some piping to force fit the cone filter into the stock air box but the opening is small and it seems counter productive with a small opening.

can someone please confirm the sizes of adapters, pipes, etc... for a 2008 ?

thanks !

Old 10-07-2011, 08:42 AM

Anyone interested in specter kit selling mines if u want to save a lil cash ill post pics if interested. Thnx

Old 10-14-2011, 05:05 PM
Banned
Default 2008 Hummer H3 air intake

So i just finished my COLD AIR INTAKE.

DIY cold air intake for my 2008 Hummer H3 base model.
unfortunately none of the write ups on here or anywhere else helped. no one has seemed to do this for a 2008. I bought a lot of extra and wrong parts due to the previous write ups since the 2008 is totally different (for some strange reason) than a 06 or 07.

First off, total it cost me $80 from AutoZone and Menards combined. bought the
Spectre 8138 air filter
Spectre 8219 intake tube

Now the air box remains. The side vent that everyone kept saying you have to replace with a coupler and stuff does not apply to 2008. you leave it alone. it is perfectly fit into the air box and the sidewall and there is no air loss at all.
The throttle body was too big for any coupler at all, so I had to leave the rubber small coupler on there.
I had to cut 1.5 inches off the intake tube using a hacksaw because it was too long.
once I fit the intake tube into the throttle body, I left the rubber couple that came with it on the side that goes into the air box and it jams in there pretty good.
the air box is a horrible situation. it does not have anything sticking out to attach the air filter like the 2007- and bellow's.
So I had to buy some rubber plumbing piping and cut and work it to make sure I got a tight fit with some super glue to help. But I did finally get it.
So now all is done. the car started up like garbage. Sputtering badly. then it went away after a few seconds. drove the H3 and it was fine. seemed to have a little extra pickup.

parked it, washed it, then started it up again, and again, it sputters and shakes the engine. Then the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT came on as well. geez. what a mess this has been.
so now I don't know what to do. I still have it under factory warranty until June of 2012.
I am going to get a catback exhaust put on tomorrow.
Are there any suggestions. Would a PCM tune fix this ? I am thinking it's getting too much AIR ?
Is that possible ? would a free flowing exhaust and then a pcm tune fix the check engine light and rough idle start up ?

Old 10-14-2011, 06:18 PM

Check to make sire u didn't forget to hook up ur maf sensor

Old 10-14-2011, 11:39 PM
rsc

Did you use any silicone sealant on the project? That would do bad things to the sensor. I doubt the CA glue would do the same once dry, but did it suck fumes up into the MAF while curing? Do you have any air leaks? Pics might help...

Old 10-15-2011, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mpukr9djsocr
So i just finished my COLD AIR INTAKE.

DIY cold air intake for my 2008 Hummer H3 base model.
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]unfortunately none of the write ups on here or anywhere else helped. no one has seemed to do this for a 2008. I bought a lot of extra and wrong parts due to the previous write ups since the 2008 is
once I fit the intake tube into the throttle body, I left the rubber couple that came with it on the side that goes into the air box and it jams in there pretty good.
the air box is a horrible situation. it does not have anything sticking out to attach the air filter like the 2007- and bellow's.
So I had to buy some rubber plumbing piping and cut and work it to make sure I got a tight fit with some super glue to help. But I did finally get it.
So now all is done. the car started up like garbage. Sputtering badly. then it went away after a few seconds. drove the H3 and it was fine. seemed to have a little extra pickup.

parked it, washed it, then started it up again, and again, it sputters and shakes the engine. Then the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT came on as well. geez. what a mess this has been.
so now I don't know what to do. I still have it under factory warranty until June of 2012.
I am going to get a catback exhaust put on tomorrow.
Are there any suggestions. Would a PCM tune fix this ? I am thinking it's getting too much AIR ?
Is that possible ? would a free flowing exhaust and then a pcm tune fix the check engine light and rough idle start up ?
You have a leak or leaks.

I don't know why I bother , but why would you Melvin a filter in place of the panel.....? Just buy a high flow panel filter.

FYI: Panels out flow cylinders and cones.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:42 PM

Hey I know, I will chop up my factory intake system that way my truck doesn't run then slap on a catback too see if it fixes it then get a pcm tune to see if it fixes it. Sure warranty will cover that no problem just take it in and see what the tech says.....

Not to mention wasting all the time and aggravation on some ghettofab project that doesn't even work when you could just have bought one from doc and been done with it in a few minutes with no hassle. And your truck would run.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:41 PM
Banned
Default no help yet, will figure out soon on my own

the fumes thing was a good point. i will clean out the parts again i think.

i dont have $175 for some goof ball to make a tube. i did it on my own, and i dont want to waste $75 on a garbage flat filter when all tests indicate cones are better. i will adjust the tubing, if anyone has something positive or somewhat useful go ahead any reply.

i wont be removing anything, i wont be wasting $175 on a tube that doesnt fit the 2008's from some guy, so thanks for wasting board space.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:19 AM

Ok, guys. Let’s try and keep it clean and friendly. When I started this thread some two + years ago, Doc ‘s system was available. And as I wrote back then, it’s a solid, well thought out, product. Not everyone wants the same stuff. Some folks are perfectly happy with factory, and 08+ models fixed many issues the early H3 models were plagued with (example, small intake port).

There are at least three other manufacturers that present options for the H3 line, Doc’s is still by far the best price of all the other choices, gets the job done just the same, and without having to fiddle with individual parts yourself. Plus I think the DIY cottage industry helps keep our country strong. At least he isn’t importing plastics from outside the US, something I’m positive Specter does! I checked.

Doc olds would probably say himself, that most folks that modify their trucks, do so because there plan is to improve performance, or even something simple as the way it looks. I’ve never personally understood why folks add grab handles to a hood that opens standard instead of forward. But hey, it’s their truck, and it does make the hood look H1ish. So if it works for them, go for it.

While I may not be in favor of cutting removable factory parts, (just in case I’ve gotta return it to specs for sale or trade, or for warranty work, and yes, my 06 still have the GMPP plan to 100,000 miles, which was kind of a waist of my money so far( Major Guard claims B2B, but good luck getting a dealer to honor it)), if modifying your truck your way is your thing, do it. I’m a tinkerer. I wasn’t trying to reinvent anything that hasn’t been done before. Just offered my humble opinion on a mod for guys that simply can’t leave well enough alone, or almost well enough, in the case of the poorly designed original 06 H3 breather port.

Quick Reply: The Under $90 Air Intake!