Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

The Under $90 Air Intake!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 10:57 PM

Old thread here but I just did this today so wanted to post my impressions...

Firstly, I already had the Spectre air filter installed so I got all the parts needed for about $45. As c3rolling stated, The 4"-3" adapter on the MAF sensor is way too large. But I found that if I just kept tightening the clamp down I could get a seal. Also as he stated, the stock robber boot from the throttle body to the straight pipe was also too large and with the clamp all the way down it still did not seal. Not sure what the original poster did to get his to seal but it just didn't work on my 07. I ended up using the 8711 3" adapter boot to make that connection. I just stretched one end of it up over the throttle body lip and clamped it and then clamped the other end on the straight pipe. You can see what I mean in the pictures. Now I have a good tight seal on both ends of the pipe.

As also noted, the 8711 is just almost too short to use for the fender well inlet. I did as the original poster did and got it as far into that seal as I can. I am sure it is fine but I will change it later to get something that will extend a little farther. I am not sure what model truck the original poster had but on my 07 the stock air intake pipe is not all that much smaller than the Spectre part. He mentions something like 1.75". The stock pipe on my truck is almost 3" all the way through. I almost just put it back on.

All in all it was an easy install and hopefully should be a step in the right direction. I want to say I feel a little seat of the pants difference but I don't know if that is true or just my imagination. One thing I do think is certain is that I feel more vibration in the truck at idle. Not sure if this is somehow an affect of getting more air in or if it might be because I used the Spectre boot at the throttle body instead of the stock piece that would have more flex. Is it possible that an air intake can make a truck vibrate? The only other possible thing that worries me is the proximity of that second coil(?) connector. At first it was rubbing the intake pipe. I was able to get it moved away but only slightly - probably only 1/16th clearance. Hopefully that will not be an issue.

Not the best pics but hopefully you can see the details. Man, I really need to clean my engine compartment!

Name:  000_0001.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  97.8 KB
Name:  000_0002.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  110.5 KB

Not much difference here...
Name:  000_0004.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  67.8 KB
Name:  000_0008.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  107.6 KB

Old 02-25-2011, 12:26 AM
Banned

factory flex....
when i put my hands on each side of my stock flex pipe i feel engine vibration on the right, engine side, and none on the filter side. i assume the factory put the flex in to protect the plastic intake . you now have a rigid connection from engine to the fender. if u feel it,imagine how that poor plastic intake manifold feels! im surprised they dont crack with all that rigid pipework.
if it does,id put the flex back in, that big ugly accordion like thing by the filter

Last edited by drtom; 02-25-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:01 AM

Songman - I have done the same mod and on the 4-3" boot i cut a notch for the raised bump to fit in. It helped with making that seal a little better.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:07 AM

Thanks. That makes sense. The original poster said something about cutting a notch but it sounded like he meant in the 3" section so I didn't understand it. Now I see what he (and you) meant. I'll give that a go. I can see that I am going to have to do something to get some flex back in it. I think maybe I can cut and leave part of the Spectre boot near the throttle body and just use it kind alike a spacer and use the original boot on that end. The thickness of that Spectre boot should be enough to give me a seal.

Since you have been running it awhile, did you notice any difference in anything?

Old 02-26-2011, 09:00 PM
rsc

I did the mod a few months back. I noticed less downshifting on the highway and a seat of the pants feeling that it rev'ed harder in the upper ranges. I didn't notice any extra vibes and have been more than happy with the results. I saw hilljob26 post 4wd dyno numbers and it was a 15HP and 20Lb/ft gain with the intake and foam air filter. Unfortunately he only had peak numbers and not a graph. I would say that my seat of the pants evaluation feels about right with his numbers.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:27 AM

I cant say that I have noticed any measureable change in anyhting since I have installed this mod. MPG's have stayed mostly constant. I may notice a little seat-of-the-pants improvements in the 40-70 mph range when accelerating but nothing major. My truck has a bit of a vibration at idle to begin with and I haven't noticed any change in that. Overall, I think the results are about equal to the investment with this mod. Personally, I dont think its anywhere close to 15hp increase, but who am I to refute a dyno.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:38 PM

I did this mod a few months back and have been very happy with the results. Smoother shifting, more pull up hills, slight bit peppier, and sounds like it breathes freely now. I haven't noticed excessive vibration...the stock setup vibrates at the throttle body as well ive noticed. As for mpg, I've noticed a slight increase, maybe .5-1mpg. BUT, I do feel there may be better fitting parts for this project...the 4-3" coupler is way too big on the 4" side for the crappy clamp it comes with....I had to buy a good 4" clamp so I could really crank it down. A longer coupler at the fender would help, and the tubing does come TOO close to the coil pack as stated earlier. See pic down below to see how the coil pack started rubbing a hole into the tube...the white spot to the right of the coil pack is the deep gouge the rubbing created....it almost broke thru. I repositioned the tube for now...but its still gonna rub.
It seems like a hokie setup to me right now, but it works awesome....so I'll just keep an eye on it for now. But i would worry more if I did some hard off roading because of that coil pack interference.

Attached Thumbnails The Under  Air Intake!-2011-03-02-12.07.32.jpg  
Old 03-03-2011, 10:27 AM

Im thinking of doing this mod but have a question about the snorkel replacment. How long is the 3" tube? I see Air Doc uses a "3.0" to 3.5" 4 ply Silicone Inlet Snorkel" Anyone know how long it is?

Was thinking of using something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=190505036540

But it is only 3" long (too short??). I think it would probably work better for the MAF to pipe part better than the 4" to 3".

Also was thinking about going with 3.5" instead of the 3", any thoughts?

Old 03-03-2011, 06:57 PM

Yeah, the one from Spectre is definitely too short. It just sort of sits up next to the foam insulation. I think it is about 3" long. As long as you are using the insulation anyway, I don't think you need that 3-3.5 thing. Doc uses it because he doesn't use the insulation ring. The 3" diameter will fit pretty snugly inside the insulation ring. It just needs to be long than the Spectre one.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:26 PM

I went ahead and ordered a 3.5" to 3" that is 3.32" long. I hope it is long enough...... should be here Saturday. I'll let everyone know.

Also picked up the filter (white) for $26.07 from amazon with free shipping.

Quick Reply: The Under $90 Air Intake!