Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Two JL 8W3v3 subs in Rear Door

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 11:18 AM
Default Two JL 8W3v3 subs in Rear Door

I just completed fabricating a custom sub enclosure for two JL 8w3v3's and thought I would post pics of the build. I got the idea from another post on the forum that a shop in Plano did that many of you are interested in. Enclosure is made from 3/4" MDF and fiberglass. The sub's will be run off of a JL 500/1 with a JL 300/4 running Focal 165 V30's in front and JL C2 coax's for fill in the rear. Should have great SQ.

2006 H3 Lux/Offroad package, fornt leveled, Bilstein cognito's, Hankook Dynapro MT 315/75-16, Hummer front brush gaurd with 4 KC HiLites long range, Hummer nerf bars, ARB rear bumper, Defender roof rack, K&N.

Attached Thumbnails Two JL 8W3v3 subs in Rear Door-1-frame.jpg   Two JL 8W3v3 subs in Rear Door-2-fiberglass.jpg   Two JL 8W3v3 subs in Rear Door-3-enclosure-1.jpg   Two JL 8W3v3 subs in Rear Door-5-enclosure-installed.jpg   Two JL 8W3v3 subs in Rear Door-7-complete.jpg  

Old 05-30-2011, 11:25 AM

Nice, love to see some custom audio work besides my truck. I thought about something like that, but there isn't a ton of room to work with.

How does the air space you were able to give the subs in the door compare to the suggested space?

Old 05-30-2011, 11:43 AM

Thanks - The air space and mounting depth are close but came out perfect. JL suggests 0.30ft3 per speaker and the enclosure is close to 0.6ft3. The shape of the back makes it hard to know exactly what it is. I added poly fill for good measure and dampening. The speaker mounting depth is 4.63in and they are very close to the back of the box.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:59 PM

That is one of the cleanest setup i've seen. I like that your not using crago space

Old 05-31-2011, 04:56 PM

Thanks, my objectives where clean factory look, take up no cargo space and improved sound quality. I am very pleased with the final product.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:38 AM

How does it sound? I've been thinking I'd like to regain my cargo space since the entire rear of my truck is consumed by a sub box, and mean the entire rear, check my garage gallery.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:39 PM

I'm not sure yet. I haven't had time to remove the factory monsoon system and install everything else. I plan to mount the amps where the factory sub is which will keep everything hidden. I know that one amp will fit but not sure about two. The JL Slash serier 500/1 and 300/4 are fairly big. If they both won't fit I was thinking about the JL HD 900/5. The W3's are good sounding sub's. I have heard 10W3's (10's are my favorite size sub) and 12W3's and they sound great, but I have never heard the 8's. I think it should have plenty of bass for what I want and nice and tight like I like it! Time will tell. I'll follow up when I find time to complete it. You could fit 10's in the back door but you would have to cut some sheet metal to be able to make the box bigger for air space and cut the plastic door panel to fit the subs. I wanted to be able to remove the box and return it to factor condition if desired.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Dirt Junkie
I'm not sure yet. I haven't had time to remove the factory monsoon system and install everything else. I plan to mount the amps where the factory sub is which will keep everything hidden. I know that one amp will fit but not sure about two. The JL Slash serier 500/1 and 300/4 are fairly big. If they both won't fit I was thinking about the JL HD 900/5. The W3's are good sounding sub's. I have heard 10W3's (10's are my favorite size sub) and 12W3's and they sound great, but I have never heard the 8's. I think it should have plenty of bass for what I want and nice and tight like I like it! Time will tell. I'll follow up when I find time to complete it. You could fit 10's in the back door but you would have to cut some sheet metal to be able to make the box bigger for air space and cut the plastic door panel to fit the subs. I wanted to be able to remove the box and return it to factor condition if desired.
Nice, that should be a really good sounding setup, JL in quality gear for sure. If you love audio like I do, and it seems like you do judging by the time and effort it took to do this, check out my setup and know what you think, it's a little over the top, but I don't have a need to haul stuff around in the back anyways.

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners - Draketh's Album: Garage - 2008 H3 Alpha

Old 06-03-2011, 12:13 AM

Looks good. I like the suade and the H3 logo. Also dig the white Hummer. Mine is white as well. I have never liked white vehicle until this H3. Have you considered the JL 8W7's or 10W7's. The 7 series are monster subs with low air space requirments. The 8's require one cubic foot of air space and handle 500 watts each. The 10's handle 1,000 watts each. By the looks of your current set up the box for two 8W7's would take up about 75% less space and still hit hard. Not like two 15's but not like two 8's either. People would never believe you only had two 8's which would be cool. You could have the best of both worlds, more space in the back and big bass.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Dirt Junkie
Looks good. I like the suade and the H3 logo. Also dig the white Hummer. Mine is white as well. I have never liked white vehicle until this H3. Have you considered the JL 8W7's or 10W7's. The 7 series are monster subs with low air space requirments. The 8's require one cubic foot of air space and handle 500 watts each. The 10's handle 1,000 watts each. By the looks of your current set up the box for two 8W7's would take up about 75% less space and still hit hard. Not like two 15's but not like two 8's either. People would never believe you only had two 8's which would be cool. You could have the best of both worlds, more space in the back and big bass.
I have thought about it, I just put too much time and work into the box to change now. I doubt I'd be able to find a buyer for it unfortunately, and I don't want to just let it go to waste.

Quick Reply: Two JL 8W3v3 subs in Rear Door