Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Is there a way to stop driver's side mirror from vibrating on the HWY?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2024 | 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
It is press fit at the pivot point, NO BOLT! A simple internet search has again shown you are not correct.

That mirror arm is BROKEN!

Old 10-11-2024 | 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by 650Hawk
Based on the extremely detailed writeup of the guy that added heaters to his mirrors, as well as additional research, I don't believe that there is a "bolt" for the lower pivot at all. But please enlighten us with proof otherwise, oh wise one.

Old 10-15-2024 | 08:31 AM

I have the black mirrors and they both vibrated on the hwy. It was very frustrating, like we all know
I did a cheap easy fix for mine, I used black foil tape, same tape for use on duck work in homes, except this tape is matt black.
It is the same color as the black plastic mirror mount arm. You would be hard pressed to see it unless you are inches away.
Mirrors are now rock solid and I never colapse them in, so that is not a problem.

I did hit a tree branch when off roading and the driver mirror collapsed in and it just tore the tap.
Re-taped it when I got home and all is back to normal

Old 10-16-2024 | 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
It is obvious that the screw that you have circled has absolutely nothing to do with the "pivot". Nice try though.

Old 10-16-2024 | 12:50 PM

It is obvious that the screw that you have circled has absolutely nothing to do with the "pivot". Nice try though.

Old 10-16-2024 | 07:55 PM

No need to repeat!
Why don't you go in and inspect construction yourself?
I haven't yet since my side view mirrors are still tight!
When you look at the mirror arm made out of pot metal (sometimes referred to as “zinc die cast” or “white metal” or “monkey metal”) with a surround collar & base to secure. The bolt is there to keep the arm secured inside the collar. If the bolt is tight and the arm is still loose at the pivot point, the arm is worn out and time to replace!

Old Yesterday | 02:04 PM

The duplicate was unintentional, get a grip. The screw is not the pivot point.

The screw holds the bottom of the pivot base to the mirror mount; If a loose screw was the problem that people are having, then slipping a thin piece of plastic into the gap above that screw wouldn't change anything. As you say "If the bolt is tight and the arm is still loose at the pivot point, the arm is worn out", which I believe is what's happening for most of these cases. The only fix is the shim or a full replacement ($$).

Last edited by 650Hawk; Yesterday at 02:12 PM.
Old Yesterday | 04:05 PM

If the bolt is tight and the arm is still loose at the pivot point, the arm is worn out and time to replace!
As I previously posted, my NEW Alpha vibrated from day one. 2 NEW subsequent mirrors vibrated immediately upon installation. Everything I've read about, (so far), only the driver's mirror had this anomaly. Since the mirrors are identical in design, only symmetrically opposite, I believe it's a manufacturing process glitch, (something in the tooling?), affecting the left mirror.

Edit: I just noticed both of Wil's mirrors vibrate. This is the first I've heard of the passenger mirror having a problem so it might possibly be an unrelated issue to the ongoing problem we're seeing.

Last edited by Broken Halo; Yesterday at 04:10 PM.
Old Yesterday | 04:44 PM

The duplicate was unintentional, get a grip. The screw is not the pivot point.

The screw holds the bottom of the pivot base to the mirror mount; If a loose screw was the problem that people are having, then slipping a thin piece of plastic into the gap above that screw wouldn't change anything. As you say "If the bolt is tight and the arm is still loose at the pivot point, the arm is worn out", which I believe is what's happening for most of these cases. The only fix is the shim or a full replacement ($$).
The pivot point is below the bolt as the arm goes down into the mount.
Just to show I popped the cover off my passenger side mirror (pic & vid):

Old Yesterday | 06:05 PM

Hummerz, how would tightening that little screw below the pivot keep the mirror above the pivot from vibrating?

Quick Reply: Is there a way to stop driver's side mirror from vibrating on the HWY?