Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Is there a way to stop driver's side mirror from vibrating on the HWY?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2024 | 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by ski.dive
Thanks-I'll give this a try
Btw, the trim around the arm is 2pc snapped together to access the pivot bolt. I never had the need to remove yet after looking close I can press on it and see the seams separations for removal.

Old 10-04-2024 | 02:16 PM

Use something to shim the track between the upper mirror housing and the lower mirror base that's bolted to the door. A small strip of plastic from a nursery pot, a thin piece of rubber, or even a folded piece of paper will work. You can see the track when you rotate the mirror housing back toward the door. As you rotate the housing the upper assembly lifts slightly and there will be a gap along the track seam between the upper and lower parts of the mirror. Put your shim on that track toward the front, then move the mirror back to its normal position and the upper part of the mirror housing should clamp on your shim against the lower part and your shakey mirror will shake no more.

Discussed at H4O here: https://hummer4x4offroad.com/forum/t...88/post-210737

Here's a video where someone used some epoxy putty on it to do the same thing.

Last edited by NMH3; 10-04-2024 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-04-2024 | 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by NMH3
Use something to shim the track between the upper mirror housing and the lower mirror base that's bolted to the door. A small strip of plastic from a nursery pot, a thin piece of rubber, or even a folded piece of paper will work. You can see the track when you rotate the mirror housing back toward the door. As you rotate the housing the upper assembly lifts slightly and there will be a gap along the track seam between the upper and lower parts of the mirror. Put your shim on that track toward the front, then move the mirror back to its normal position and the upper part of the mirror housing should clamp on your shim against the lower part and your shakey mirror will shake no more.

Discussed at H4O here: https://hummer4x4offroad.com/forum/t...88/post-210737

Here's a video where someone used some epoxy putty on it to do the same thing.

https://youtu.be/OjH7vB-cH_c?t=26

jury-rigged

Old 10-04-2024 | 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz

jury-rigged

yep. 100%. A free “fix” for GM’s deficient design.

Old 10-07-2024 | 06:28 PM

There are 4 bolts that secures the mount to the door & 1 bolt secures the pivot point. Retorque the bolts that are loose.
Based on the extremely detailed writeup of the guy that added heaters to his mirrors, as well as additional research, I don't believe that there is a "bolt" for the lower pivot at all. But please enlighten us with proof otherwise, oh wise one.

Old 10-10-2024 | 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by 650Hawk
Based on the extremely detailed writeup of the guy that added heaters to his mirrors, as well as additional research, I don't believe that there is a "bolt" for the lower pivot at all. But please enlighten us with proof otherwise, oh wise one.
He won't, because he can't. Just spewing about things he "thinks" he knows about again.

Old 10-10-2024 | 06:24 PM

I bought my '08 Alpha new and had the mirror replaced under warranty twice for this problem, (3 mirrors total). Nothing worked. I've tried different shims to no avail and I've just lived with it ever since. If I remember correctly from threads long past it was only affecting the chrome mirrors not the black ones. If you're seeing this on a black mirror please post.

Old 10-10-2024 | 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
He won't, because he can't. Just spewing about things he "thinks" he knows about again.
What holds that pivot point? My '07 OEM factory installed chrome side view mirrors are still tight: when I grab them with 2 hands and attempt to move up and down=>No movement on the door mount and no movement on the pivot point. If/when they get loose I will be more than happy to remove the trim to tighten and post pictures.

Old 10-11-2024 | 07:52 AM

What holds that pivot point? My '07 OEM factory installed chrome side view mirrors are still tight: when I grab them with 2 hands and attempt to move up and down=>No movement on the door mount and no movement on the pivot point. If/when they get loose I will be more than happy to remove the trim to tighten and post pictures.
It is press fit at the pivot point, NO BOLT! A simple internet search has again shown you are not correct.

Old 10-11-2024 | 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
I bought my '08 Alpha new and had the mirror replaced under warranty twice for this problem, (3 mirrors total). Nothing worked. I've tried different shims to no avail and I've just lived with it ever since. If I remember correctly from threads long past it was only affecting the chrome mirrors not the black ones. If you're seeing this on a black mirror please post.
My black mirrors (MY2009) do it. I've had success using a small folded up piece of paper as a shim on the pivot track to "jury rig" it. It doesn't rain much where I'm at, so not sure this would work in a wetter climate.

Quick Reply: Is there a way to stop driver's side mirror from vibrating on the HWY?