Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Sometimes It Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 10:29 PM
Default Sometimes It Won't Start

I have an 06 with 133,000 on it and sometimes when I get in, it doesn't start. This has happened 2 times in the last 10 days. When I turn the key the engine sounds like it's going to start but then it stops cranking. When I turn the key again it just cranks and cranks and cranks, like the fuel injectors have shut off. I can wait 15 minutes and then try it again and it usually starts right up, but tonight I waited 10 minutes the first time, no joy, 15 minutes the second time, still no joy and then finally waiting another 15 minutes it started right up. No codes are on the scangauge.

In the last few months I have cleaned the MAF sensor and run techron thru it. When I originally got it in Jan. I put on the AirDoc intake and a new air filter. I originally thought the problem was my key because it was kinda sticking as it went it and I thought maybe it was causing the security system to shut off the fuel injectors, but I'm using a different key now. I think it's probably something else, maybe spark plugs?

TIA,

Old 07-11-2012, 07:34 AM

Is the security light on during these times of no start? If it is then it is likely the passlock. Spark plugs bad enough to cause a no start condition would give you a warning ahead of time with a rough idle and poor acceleration among others. Good luck.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by RKSmith163
Is the security light on during these times of no start? If it is then it is likely the passlock. Spark plugs bad enough to cause a no start condition would give you a warning ahead of time with a rough idle and poor acceleration among others. Good luck.
No, I don't remember seeing the passlock icon flashing. It does come on solid, but then goes out. Yeah, it seems to be running fine, but I'm going to pull a plug today and have a look. Thanks.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:46 AM

The spark plugs look good. I suppose it could be the fuel pump going out. The 10 minutes in time for it to come back on has me stumped, especially since the security light isn't flashing. Of course, I haven't waited 5 minutes and tried it. Maybe it'll start up after just a few minutes

When it has failed to start, I remember turning the key and releasing it. The electronic ignition takes over and it cranks. Then it stops. Then it tries cranking again for another second or two all by it's self, without me turning the key again. So it seems to me that the electronic ignition is taking over, failing to start it and then when I try turning the key again, it just cranks and cranks without starting. I'm taking a long trip tomorrow so wish me luck . I don't think there is anything more I can do for now except just keep my fingers crossed that it eventually starts if I have trouble with it.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:49 AM

Hello,
Had same problem last year. After chasing my **** in circles, it turned up to be the pass lock. It's a common issue with our H3 and the Colorado. Had to change ignition module.
When vehicle would not start there was strong odor of gas around it. It did take 12+ minutes to restart. I think manual says 10.

Good luck......

Old 07-12-2012, 05:06 AM
Default OK

Originally Posted by lifesavr65
Hello,
Had same problem last year. After chasing my **** in circles, it turned up to be the pass lock. It's a common issue with our H3 and the Colorado. Had to change ignition module.
When vehicle would not start there was strong odor of gas around it. It did take 12+ minutes to restart. I think manual says 10.

Good luck......
Yeah actually that's what I'm thinking now, replace the ignition switch (lock) when I get back. Seems like 12 minutes is right to me too to get it to start again. Thank you!

But, I just don't remember seeing the flashing security light and everyone else says theirs was blinking.

Last edited by K0PIR; 07-12-2012 at 05:11 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:50 PM

Been there. Replaced the ignition switch and all is well.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:21 AM

I have a 07 with only 44k miles and it has done the no start thing to me twice now...the dealership said all is fine...the technician said unfortunately the fuel pump or relay will have to stop working all together in order for them to change it. They never said anything about the alarm system affecting it not starting.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:55 PM

Search for "passlock" and you will see many threads and many solutions. Since this was a poor design in the first place and has not been used since 07, replacing it just prolongs the problem. Happy reading.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:59 PM

Had trouble with starting my H3. Was about to lose my mind then my mechanic found the code after several tries. It was the passlock assembly. $90.00, 2 hours of labor. Problem solved!!!!!

Quick Reply: Sometimes It Won't Start