Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Solar Charger

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Default Solar Charger

I was a little bored today so I installed some GM Rock Sliders I got off a friend's rig. They look great but I was still bored so I also made a solar charger that attaches to my Gobi rack.
Its a 5-Watt trickle charger that just plugs into the rear cigarette outlet. You cant even see the panel on the roof and it is nice and solid. I was wondering though if anybody knows about any issues with trickle charging like that. Could it do any harm to my Optima Red Top? I like the idea of keeping my battery fresh especially in the winter when I might be hanging around outside my truck without it sucking gas. Granted I know 5-watts wont really sustain a charge but I'm hoping it wont hurt it either...or will it?

Old 10-18-2008, 02:26 AM
Default RE: Solar Charger

It shouldnt hurt it. Optima batteries are quite strong and better for recharging Ive been told by a rep at an autoshow. I use a solar trickle charger on my brothers 1987 Gmc Jimmy 4x4 blazer with a high rack and top drive. It lives in the south texas brush country for half the year. I have an optima battery on it and also use a 5 watt solar trickle charger to keep the battery up to speed with no problems for the last year. I only keep it plugged in during deer season though.

Old 10-18-2008, 02:27 AM

It shouldnt hurt it. Optima batteries are quite strong and better for recharging Ive been told by a rep at an autoshow. I use a solar trickle charger on my brothers 1987 Gmc Jimmy 4x4 blazer with a high rack and top drive. It lives in the south texas brush country for half the year. I have an optima battery on it and also use a 5 watt solar trickle charger to keep the battery up to speed with no problems for the last year. I only keep it plugged in during deer season though.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Ghostrider

I also made a solar charger that attaches to my Gobi rack. Its a 5-Watt trickle charger that just plugs into the rear cigarette outlet. You cant even see the panel on the roof and it is nice and solid.
You'll have to snap us a few pictures, when you get a chance, to show off your handy work.