Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Slow speed thumping sound ????

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 11:43 AM
Default Slow speed thumping sound ????

Ok Guys & Gals.....

7000 miles on the H3 since buying it in December. Still love it!
I drive from Houston to Amarillo twice a month; yep that's me the guy with Travis Tritt and 70's Rock blasting. I heard a new noise on my last trip.....
When driving slow (15 to 30 MPH) on the bumpy freeways through Dallas I heard a faint thumping sound. I turned off the radio to listen. It sounds like something is bumping up against the floorboard of the cab or firewall. I can sort of feel it in the stearing wheel and it is in sync with the bumps on the freeway. At near stopped speeds I can replicate the sound (and feel it) by tapping the breaks and then giving it throttle. It reminds me of the rattle of exhaust pipes on the frame of a 60 Vette. Anyone else hear this sound in their H3?

Old 03-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Default RE: Slow speed thumping sound ????

Hmmmm.... Had that noise once too..... But It was caused by a Coyote hitching a free ride!!!!

Old 03-16-2007, 01:20 PM

sounds like maybe something up with tortionbars they would transfer sound like that if they were banging

Old 03-16-2007, 02:08 PM

You have maybe aflat spot on one of your tires??..Just guessing..

Old 03-16-2007, 06:18 PM

It's dealer time kids!!!!!!! Let them hassle with it, that's what the warranty is for :-)

Old 03-16-2007, 07:09 PM

My guess is a bad swaybar bushing if you hear it through the body and feel it in the steering wheel. It's just a guess, the good news is that it's a perfect assignment for your dealer to take care of for you!

Old 03-18-2007, 10:02 AM

Did this thumping get diagnosed yet? I have the same noise going on. I only have 2224 miles. I can really hear it when coasting to a stop, not giving it any gas.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:39 AM

I have not taken the H3 back to the dealer yet, but I will do it soon. I crawled under the rig and shook every damn part of the front suspension and stearing gear I could get a grip on, NONE WOULD MOVE! I am destined to bring it to the dealer within the next week. it is a very anoying sound, and when you let your Toyota buddies go for a ride it it they say "Hey, rhy you truck maka so mucha noise, dat not wite, you needa fick it!" I can live with noise (just turn up the 70's Rock music or Travis Tritt snd the sounds go away), but thus one might be a stearing problem down the road. Will keek you posted.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:01 AM

there was a tsb isued for a noise in the front drivers side kick anel, it was fr an e-brake cable. I knowa few people here that have had this noise said that it resonated up the steering column and could be felt in the steering wheel and under the floor boards. Might want to check that out also.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:02 AM

also check the skid plate, they make all sorts of noise when they are loose

Quick Reply: Slow speed thumping sound ????