Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Rust-like dots on paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 08:24 PM
Default Rust-like dots on paint

I have a birch white H3 and had it washed today and decided to wax it myself. As I started to apply the wax, I noticed what looks to be dots of rust allup and downmy doors and on the back of my H3. Has anyone else noticed this? There is quite a bit of this and whatever it is, the car wash didn't get rid of it.

I don't think it's actually rust, but it sure looks like it. Any thoughts on what it is or how I can get it off there?

Old 03-11-2007, 08:28 PM
Default RE: Rust-like dots on paint

Funny, I had the same exact thing a month or so ago......

Any red soil in your area?

I went through an area comprised mostly of red clay soil(dry at the time).....When I washed the truck,
it left little specs of what looked like rust on the paint. A second, soaking, wash took them right off.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:30 PM

its more than likely brake dust. i've had this with every new gm vehicle. it usually goes away after brakes get some miles on them.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:37 PM

Jen hun...

You live in a very harsh winter environment..with all the road salts and chemicles they use...Sorry to say, but you will have to clay bar your finish in order to get those rust specs off..isn'tbad GM paint, it is normal after a winter on any finish and a white fginish really shows it worse...ICE by Turtle Wax has a newliquid claybar that works real easy I'm told by RutDogg...Read the DETAILING section of this forum..Good info there .

Old 03-11-2007, 08:38 PM

Well I have 15,000 miles on the H3 so I don't t think it would be brake dust but I could be wrong and as far as red soil clay, there is none around here where I live. Only other thing I could think of is it is something from the salt they put on the roads here when it snowed? I had my H3 washed at least once a week over the winter, but honestly never noticed all the dots until today when I went to wax it.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:58 PM

Thanks for the info Dennis! I will pick up the turtle wax claybar this week and see how it works. Of course it's supposed to snow uh one last time here as they keep saying at the end of the week so I may have to wait to apply it. I already am an Ice wax user and highly recommend it to all

Old 03-11-2007, 09:50 PM

If they patched potholes around your area some tar from the patch job might of gotten on your sides. I had a white jeep and every spring I had the same problem. All it was was tar.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:09 AM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

Jen hun...

You live in a very harsh winter environment..with all the road salts and chemicles they use...Sorry to say, but you will have to clay bar your finish in order to get those rust specs off..isn'tbad GM paint, it is normal after a winter on any finish and a white fginish really shows it worse...ICE by Turtle Wax has a newliquid claybar that works real easy I'm told by RutDogg...Read the DETAILING section of this forum..Good info there .
Dennis speaks the truth! I have a white '07 H3 and noticed the same tiny rust like specs in the finish after only a month. I have a friend who paints cars, and he told me basically what Dennis has said. Do a good cleaning with a clay bar type compound, then seal it with your choice of wax, and it'll be good to go. The "detailing" area her does have some great advice and examples.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:07 PM

I have a white hummer h3 and my wife and I were at the carwash yesterday and we noticed the little rust spots all over the door as well. We couldn't figure it out. Does GM not give these cars a good paint job? When I bought the H3, they did try tooffer me some sort of service that would be done to protect the exterior of the car. forget the name of it. Does anybody or did anybody purchase this service for their hummer? How is that working out.

I noticed that when I scrape my nail on the rust spots, that you can kind of scrap it off to a pin sized spot. So, the rust probably starts small and spreads.

P.S. who is dissappointed that the H3 doesn't come with child safetly locks?

chris

Old 03-15-2007, 06:10 PM

TAR

Quick Reply: Rust-like dots on paint