Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Replacing Antenna Base and Cable

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 09:18 AM
Default Replacing Antenna Base and Cable

I have a 2006 H3 and after taking it to an automatic car wash the antenna base connector broke off. I purchased a new one and can't figure out how to install the antenna base and connect the cable into the radio. Seems like I'd have to remove part of the fender and the dashboard to do the replacement.

Does anyone have instructions on how to do this? If so is it fairly easy or should I just take the H3 to the dealer or a car stereo installer to have the work done?

Any advise is appreciated.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:34 PM

I've never done it so I'm not too sure, but I was wondering about the car wash. Was it not a touchless one? I wouldn't take my Hummers through any auto car washes except touchless personally.

Did you try the search function for advice?

Old 10-19-2010, 09:09 AM

I did look at how to replace an antenna in the Colorado pickup forum, which gave some advice. From what I found it looks like GM doesn't want people to change the antenna because they made it very hard to do. Some took off the fender to do the work and other people decided go without the radio and just play CDs.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:07 AM
Banned
Default nutn ez

like everything on new cars,nothing is ez

the fender liner comes out,the glove box door off

tape a pull wire on to help fish wires thru,etc, patience,endurance and some luck will help

i guess the cable is in 2 pieces,connect behind glove box

best wishes

Old 10-22-2010, 07:42 AM

i agree with drtom, I think every car maker made it a pain in the *** to connect the two for no reason

Old 11-15-2010, 02:52 PM

As DrTom says you have to remove the fender lining and the glove box. I just took it to the Hummer dealer who charged me $100 to do the labor. Probably saved me a whole lot of grief to do it that way.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Default Antenna Mount Replacement

I just completed this task and thought I would provide some feedback. The job took about an hour and required me to remove the glove box and side dash panel inside the vehicle. It also required the removal of the inner fender liner. Inner fender came out easily removing the retainer clips. Once out, getting to the antenna mount was easy.

New antenna base was about $20.

Taking out the inner fender also gave me a chance to clean out all the junk, leaves, etc that had built up at the base of the front fender.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:59 PM

Good to hear.

Chris

Old 01-22-2016, 12:18 PM

I am about to say screw it and just go to the GM dealer. I got all the parts but I don't have any way to see a video to do this that is simplified. Well with that being said, I am about to head out right now and check on a quote on the servicing and time.

Old 01-22-2016, 02:43 PM

Just buy a universal auto hidden antenna and be done with it. Depending on your area you may need to spend an extra $10 for an amplified version.

Quick Reply: Replacing Antenna Base and Cable