Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Read If Your H3 Radiator Has Cracked or Leaked

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ghost Rider
/

How do I get in on this class action suit? Anyone have the info?

/
I don't think there is such a lawsuit. I did a google search of it and found nothing. There should be one though and posted here for all too.

Last edited by V8-H3; 06-12-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:19 AM
Default replaced the radiator

Here's the problem folks. This is if you own a 2006 or 2007 h3 hummer. DO NOT REPLACE THE LEAKING RADIATOR. I replaced my leaking radiator with OEM acdelco radiator and put on a new thermostat. Magically, after replacing the radiator and thermostat, the vehicle runs at 3/4 temperature and fluctuates when you idle to even hotter! My truck NEVER went past 1/2 on the gauge (about 210 degrees). I spent thousands on rental cars and replacing every single part of the cooling system, to NO AVAIL. I took it to GM on a last ditch effort, hoping they could diagnose the problem. It spent 2 nights at GM, when they called me and said "Oh H3 hummers do that. After you repair the cooling system they now run at 3/4's, and thats normal".....I said WHAT!!!!! Are you kidding me? The truck now runs almost 40 degrees hotter. It runs at 240 degrees which is "within spec" they say. But it fluctuates and there's absolutely NO telling how hot it will get. I've had to even pull over from it over heating, and the AC actually turned itself off and warning lights flashed.

GM's only answer was "Hummers do this when you repair the cooling system" then they gave me a sheet of paper that said "The vehicle running at 3/4's shouldn't be cause for concern and no repairs should be made" Okay great, it does run at 3/4's, but will it ever get any hotter? What will this now do to the life of my engine? I'm burning oil now, is that because it's hotter?

Last side of the issue- GM Fountain (in Orlando) They are absolute idiots. They antagonize, they want to argue with you, they try to talk to you like your stupid, yet they are complete morons. GM has a MAJOR problem here, and they refuse to do ANYTHING about it, so the service department has to tiptoe around their words and try to do anything to get you to leave before you ask to many questions. My truck ran at 203, it now runs at 240, that's GOT TO BE damaging something.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:40 AM

Sounds to me it either has a blown head gasket, or air pocket in the cooling system.... Any decent shop should have a test kit for checking for the hydrocarbons in the coolant indicating a blown head.... I know pep boys does ... Hope this helps

Old 06-17-2013, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by smithcameron1988
Here's the problem folks. This is if you own a 2006 or 2007 h3 hummer. DO NOT REPLACE THE LEAKING RADIATOR. I replaced my leaking radiator with OEM acdelco radiator and put on a new thermostat. Magically, after replacing the radiator and thermostat, the vehicle runs at 3/4 temperature and fluctuates when you idle to even hotter! My truck NEVER went past 1/2 on the gauge (about 210 degrees). I spent thousands on rental cars and replacing every single part of the cooling system, to NO AVAIL. I took it to GM on a last ditch effort, hoping they could diagnose the problem. It spent 2 nights at GM, when they called me and said "Oh H3 hummers do that. After you repair the cooling system they now run at 3/4's, and thats normal".....I said WHAT!!!!! Are you kidding me? The truck now runs almost 40 degrees hotter. It runs at 240 degrees which is "within spec" they say. But it fluctuates and there's absolutely NO telling how hot it will get. I've had to even pull over from it over heating, and the AC actually turned itself off and warning lights flashed.

GM's only answer was "Hummers do this when you repair the cooling system" then they gave me a sheet of paper that said "The vehicle running at 3/4's shouldn't be cause for concern and no repairs should be made" Okay great, it does run at 3/4's, but will it ever get any hotter? What will this now do to the life of my engine? I'm burning oil now, is that because it's hotter?

Last side of the issue- GM Fountain (in Orlando) They are absolute idiots. They antagonize, they want to argue with you, they try to talk to you like your stupid, yet they are complete morons. GM has a MAJOR problem here, and they refuse to do ANYTHING about it, so the service department has to tiptoe around their words and try to do anything to get you to leave before you ask to many questions. My truck ran at 203, it now runs at 240, that's GOT TO BE damaging something.
This is what I'm wondering. When one gets a new radiator, whether a cheap one online OR the one from the dealer, are we going to get the NEW design that was a little smaller so it does not hit the support frame any more or will it be the exact same size as our original 2006-2007 H3 radiator?

One reason I ask is I've seen a few people say that after replacing their new radiator that their vehicle runs hotter than before, supposedly the "new normal". If the radiator IS smaller than the original would that be the reason it runs hotter is that the radiator is smaller and therefore not holding as much coolant to keep it cool?

I'm a female and not a mechanic, so if this sounds stupid to anyone, please forgive me! lol

Part 2: How can one insure that they are getting the newer design radiator and it is smaller so that we hopefully won't get the cracked issue again? Is there a dimensions difference that someone knows of?

Old 06-17-2013, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ghost Rider
This is what I'm wondering. When one gets a new radiator, whether a cheap one online OR the one from the dealer, are we going to get the NEW design that was a little smaller so it does not hit the support frame any more or will it be the exact same size as our original 2006-2007 H3 radiator?

One reason I ask is I've seen a few people say that after replacing their new radiator that their vehicle runs hotter than before, supposedly the "new normal". If the radiator IS smaller than the original would that be the reason it runs hotter is that the radiator is smaller and therefore not holding as much coolant to keep it cool?

I'm a female and not a mechanic, so if this sounds stupid to anyone, please forgive me! lol

Part 2: How can one insure that they are getting the newer design radiator and it is smaller so that we hopefully won't get the cracked issue again? Is there a dimensions difference that someone knows of?
Relax, OE radiator is fine, the mounts are substandard!

I replaced my rad over a year ago, due to a stress crack.

Never had to add a drop of coolant since!

I replaced with the silla rad from stylintrucks:
9589A Silla - OE Replacement Radiator (New) At StylinTrucks.com

I also enhanced my upper mount, so it doesn't move as much = less chance for stress crack!

After rad replacement, my temp gauge was still between 1/4 & 1/2, normal operating temperature.

I since then, replaced my t-stat + housing assembly, and now my normal operating temperature is always 1/2..

If the temp runs hotter, city, stop and go, driving on a very hot day, but, not normal to run over 1/2 on the gauge, there is an underlying problem.

GL

Old 06-17-2013, 06:16 PM

The redesigned radiator is not smaller. The top of it is slanted back away from the frame more so it doesn't hit. I don't know why they run hotter after putting the redesigned radiator in. I have no clue. I never paid much attention to the temp gauge before, so I don't remember where it was before, but I don't think ours ran as hot as it does now. But we are still well within the normal temperature range, so it's no problem. The only real way to know what your temp is is to measure the temp. the gauge doesn't tell you what the actual temp is.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:37 AM

My gauge same after as was before rad replacement

Old 06-25-2013, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by blaine6070
i am def down for a class action law suit! This is bs! this is obviousely an ongoing issue! that needs to be resolved!
just had the same problem with my 07 hummer and replaced the radiator, to yes we need a class action law suit..count me in..contact me via email on how to get in on this lawsuit...Thanks

Old 06-25-2013, 05:27 AM

sorry email is tina_65440@yahoo.com

Old 06-25-2013, 06:36 AM

same problem here. cracked radiator on a 07 H3X. GM quote is $723 installed.

Quick Reply: Read If Your H3 Radiator Has Cracked or Leaked