Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Read If Your H3 Radiator Has Cracked or Leaked

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 04:57 PM

I would grind off the part of the frame that is rubbing against the radiator, but since this is such a big problem and design flaw, and they are paying for some of them I am going to stick it out and still try to get them to pay for it.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:56 AM
Default 08 Hummer H3 with cracked radiator

I have an 08 Hummer H3 and I just found out that I have about a 4 inch crack in my radiator right at the same spot these others seems to have been. I bought this Hummer used in November 2011 and I have already had to replace the rack and pinion last month at 50,800 miles and now I have a right around 52,200 miles on it and my radiator is cracked. Why are all of these not being recalled? I am so tired of spending so much money on this vehicle. I thought maybe the dealership I bought it from wasn't checking their vehicles very well but it seems to be a trend with the Hummers.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:09 AM

I think we all need to fill this out.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

Maybe we can get some of our money back for having to pay to get the new radiator.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by outerextreme
Call th hummer customer service number in the earlier posts. Don't take no for an answer. Don't back down. Gm will pay for it unless you let them tell you they won't. If anybody has any questions message me your number and I'll give you info on what you need to tell them.
Ive been fighting with GM, they assigned this to a district manager "Tiffany", so far she has only offered to have GM pay for half the cost, I love my H3 but this along with the $800 I had to spend to fix that clunking steering shaft is really turning me off from GM

Old 09-26-2012, 07:02 AM

I got the radiator replaced yesterday and had to pay my deductible for my extended warranty. I also have a clunking noise when I turn the steering wheel. I told them yesterday about it and they kept telling me they didnt hear anything. Guess I am not the only one with this problem either. I love my H3 but I am tired of having it in for service. First the Rack and Pinion going out at 50,800 miles, then the radiator at 52,903, and now the steering. I am glad I got the exended warranty. Just tired of having to miss work to take it in. Maybe I need to Bill GM for all the time I have had to miss work.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by jackieb3301
I think we all need to fill this out.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

Maybe we can get some of our money back for having to pay to get the new radiator.
This looks like a good idea. I don't have a problem with my Alpha but if everybody that has had or does have an issue filled this out we may be able to get a recall going.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:10 PM

My G.M. rep told me that it is not a recall because enough people haven't complained about it. She knows that it is a huge issue and said that more and more complaints are coming in. They have not gotten an answer from the field reps about mine yet, but they have been calling me every couple of days to just keep me in the loop about what is going on.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:54 PM

I just purchased a 2008 H3 in June and noticed the smell of antifreeze the other day. Took it for oil change and was told I had a hairline crack in the radiator and it will cost me $800 dollars to replace the radiator because it is plastic and those can't be fixed. I am out of warranty. Does anyone have any recommendations other than just eat it and be happy?

Old 10-14-2012, 08:42 PM

Yes, read through this thread for what to do. basically it is a design flaw that GM is trying to get out of paying, but if you stick to your guns and accept nothing less than them paying the entire bill you will be fine. You will need to call G.M and tell them what the problem is and that you are aware of many others with the same exact problem and the design flaw is because the brace is too close to the radiator and it hits against it constantly causing it eventually to crack. THis can happen at 20,000 miles or 300-000 miles.Warrantee or mileage has no bearing in this issue. Tell them you would like a case open, and they will tell you to contact your nearest G.M. garage. They will also say that you are responsible for the diagnosis at the garage, but when you get to the garage, tell them you want this to remain an open order case since you are dealing with G.M. on this and they will do that so that you don't have to pay the diagnostics fee. The garage is going to take 5 minutes to look at your radiator and say that yes it was caused by a design flaw, because it is so obvious. They will report back to G. M. and G.M. will say they will get back to you in a couple weeks. When they get back to you they will do possibly a few different things. One: Not pay for anything at all because out of warrantee or your miles are too high. Two: THey will agree to pay for a partial part of the bill. or Three: pay all the bill, which is highly unlikely. If they say they are paying only partial or will pay nothing tell them you are aware of many hundreds of others with the same problem that G.M payed for and that there is a class action lawsuit concerning this situation pending. THat you are going to fight this because it is a design flaw. The fact that the radiator that they are going to install in your hummer has been redesigned to give clearance to the brace so that this problem doesn't happen. That is admitting fault right there. Do not back down, even if they are saying they will not pay.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:01 PM

Here's my deli ma, smells ati freeze , kept adding not knowing where it was going ,no puddle, took the 2008 h3 to a local shop to get something else fixed and they told me about the crack in the radiator, I had it fixed not knowing this was an on going problem till I found this list .Do I have any recourse ?

Quick Reply: Read If Your H3 Radiator Has Cracked or Leaked