Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Read If Your H3 Radiator Has Cracked or Leaked

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by bigdawgs2001
Thanks drtom..

Just got off the phone with a reputable radiator shop 45 yrs experience and the guy told me they cannot be fixed because of a special resin in the plastic.. Best to buy a new radiator..
I believe I would find a different reputable radiator shop since this has been dis-proven over and over. Maybe he don't have or can't get the tanks. Maybe he just would rather sell you a new one. But they can definitely be rebuilt. Not sure quite what he is talking about 'special resin' in the plastic. The tanks are plastic and they are replaced. Nothing special about it.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:00 AM

Well my problem has been solved as of Thursday June 30, 2011.. The only place I could get to look at it in such short notice is place by the name of Niswonger Chevrolet in Wapakoneta, Ohio. All other dealers couldn't get it in until next week. I really didnt want to take it to a dealer for cost reasons, but I knew it was my only chance to prove it had to be a defect and the warranty had just expired.

So I had it there by 8AM and by 8:25 the GM Service manager came and told me that he ranked it an " A '' and that he was going to have GM pay for it all. I said are you for real! He said the only problem is that he couldn't get the radiator until about 3pm that afternoon. Had my daughter come pick me up and by 4:30 pm I was told they are test driving and it should be ready if I wanted to come pick her up..
Sure enough, 658.00 and it did not cost me a dime, other than 33.00 for the oil change I asked them to go ahead and do for me while it was in the air..

So! All and all it turned out to be pretty decent for me and my experience with GM and the dealer.. I didnt even get charged a diagnosis fee...

I highly recommend the guys at Niswonger Chevrolet in Wapakoneta. I was a first time customer and I live 20-25 miles south of there and they told me to have there first thing in the morning to look at. The dealer in Sidney, Ohio where I live acted like I was a thorn in their *** when I called them at Dan Hemm GM. At Niswonger these people treated me like family as soon as I walked in the place and took good care of my vehicle..

Old 07-02-2011, 02:26 PM
rsc

Thanks for update bigdawgs, it's good to hear of a dealership taking care of the little guy. Glad it turned out so well!

Old 07-02-2011, 09:41 PM

Well after calling Hummer directly and taking my H3 to the GM dealer I was able to argue my way into getting the radiator replaced with no charge. Kinda cool cuz I had 51,000 miles on it but the manager said that since I made a big enough stink with Hummer he would cover it under warrantee...luckily. I was also told that since it is not a "safety issue" there would most likely never be a recall...NHTSA is the one who does the recalls and I am sure they dont care about the radiator...cuz it most likely wont kill you. Now here is to looking forward to replacing my new radiator in another 50,000 miles...on my dime!

Old 07-02-2011, 10:15 PM
rsc

After I get some sunlight in the morning I'll finish up the install of the new radiator. I'm just needing to get the a/c core in it's bracket now. I'll download the pictures I took of changing out the radiator and start up a thread on changing it out. It was pretty easy, but there are a couple of areas to watch out for and I took my time with it.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:36 PM

I've had the same problems listed in this thread... I have a 2007 H3 with 75k on her. I noticed it after I changed my oil, I lifted my hood and there was coolant spattered all over the engine bay. Upon further inspection I noticed small puddles all over my parking spot. so I'm just going to assume I have the same issue. I'm gonna take her into a GM dealership Tuesday. Is there anything I should say or do so I can get this job dont for free or a low price?

Last edited by maddness038; 07-03-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:54 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by maddness038
I've had the same problems listed in this thread... I have a 2007 H3 with 75k on her. I noticed it after I changed my oil, I lifted my hood and there was coolant spattered all over the engine bay. Upon further inspection I noticed small puddles all over my parking spot. so I'm just going to assume I have the same issue. I'm gonna take her into a GM dealership Tuesday. Is there anything I should say or do so I can get this job dont for free or a low price?

Before taking it see if you can find it yourself. More than likely cracked either on the sides or on the top within the plastic housing. Mine was on the top. As you open your hood looking at the top of your radiator, see if there is a spongy pad between the radiator and the frame of your grill. Thats where the crack in mine was. I noticed the spongy padding satuarated and i started peeling it back little by little and then I noticed about every 5 seconds coolant spitting out. Had a 6" crack or split.

When I went to the dealer I sad this should be a defect and it shouldn't be happening at 50,000. Told them Ive read thousands of complaints online all over.. I also called GM Hummer direct and they gave me a file number on my complaint..

Good luck!!!

Old 07-04-2011, 02:54 PM

Thanks! I will start searching for it today.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:01 PM

Okay so I tried, and cannot find a crack in my radiator anywhere.... I called up Hummer customer support and got no where, since Iit doesn't have a recall notice." but they said if I take it to a dealership and get it diagnosed they "might" be able to work something out. So Then I called a few local GM dealerships and found out a diagnosis is gonna be around 125 bucks. they all basically told me that its the dealerships choice to do a courtesy repair and that the chances of me getting a courtesy repair or whatever its called are slim to none, since I bought my Hummer used.... SO, now I think I'm going to just find a radiator repair shop and just get it fixed. Does anyone know how much that's gonna cost? or have an alternative idea?

Last edited by maddness038; 07-05-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:35 PM

RSC - you may want to refer to the step-by-step instructions posted here:

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...e5/#post248131

Quick Reply: Read If Your H3 Radiator Has Cracked or Leaked